1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do some people assume we will be out in first round again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ranny, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Ranny

Ranny Member

Could we be out in the first round again? it is unlikely but yes it could happen. Why? In my opinion more than any other reason because the quality of the west is very high and any playoff team in our conference is good/dangerous.

But why is it so difficult for some people to accept that we are in a pretty good situation and that we should at least make it to the 2nd round this year? There are several posters in the garm who are assuming almost for a fact that we will be out in the first round again, why?

Can we agree that we have a better team than last year?

Can we agree that McHale has improved a lot?

Can we agree that although Morey couldn't bring the third star he wanted but instead gave us depth?

WHY THE ****** are some people so sure we will be out in the first round???

2. bmd

bmd Member

It's because the West is so tough this year.

I don't think people are SURE the Rockets won't get to the second round this year... but they wouldn't be surprised if that's the case because the teams are so closely matched.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Because some people care more about winning the internet than about the Rockets. They have staked out their positions against Morey, McHale, Harden, statistics, whatever, and value vindication more than victories.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Anything less than a WCF appearance would be a failure of a season considering the roster we have.

Getting out of the 1st round is all fine since we haven't been able to do it in a long time but with such a stacked roster, a WCF is a definite must.

Defenses tighten up come playoff time, less whistles called on drives to the basket. Teams ahve a chance to scout opposition teams over 7 games and the Rockets are not that hard to devise.

Ask Damian Lillard:

#4 FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

have you seen the other WC teams and how our play translates to the post season? Its not exactly a revalation

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Houston's sports history has conditioned fans to be pessimistic.

7. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Dwight just coming back from injury and limited to 20 min a game and can't play back to backs. Jones got injured again, may not be 100% going in to the playoffs. Beverly out for season. Dmo with back problems, K-pap with the ankle. Won't be 100% healthy going into the playoffs against the defending champs if we stay in the third seed. We also can't count out Dallas if we get the 2nd seed, they aren't the spurs but they aren't chump change either.

So you tell me why they might pick us to lose the first round.

8. Ranny

Ranny Member

I think we are good enough to make it to the conference finals at least, we are a top 5 team in the league, but that is not my question. My question is why are some people, like you, so sure we will not make it past the first round?

I have been in this forum for less than a year, but i have already identified you as one of the most negative posters on this site, everything seems to be a problem for you, and correct me if i am wrong but you seem to be one of those who have next to no hopes for us going further than the first round....

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Pessimism, negativity and failure fuel the souls of some of the members here.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

Don't speak for me. I have never said we will be out of the 1st round. What I have said is that this roster should be a WCF at the very least (anything less is a failure) however I am not confident that the coaching (or lack thereof) and the system we employ gets us there come post season.

I believe just like we saw last playoffs that coaching will have a huge say in where we go.

11. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

Im confident the Rockets will CONTINUE to prove the media wrong and even our own fans wrong.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

This.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

You're completely discounting the other 7 teams in the WC playoffs. GSW, LAC, and SA can all make the same argument of "stacked roster + WCF or bust." And the other 4 teams have had injuries significantly wreck their chances (OKC, POR), have been there before and won the thing (DAL), or can claim themselves as being the most physically demanding team of the entire playoffs (MEM).

It's easy to look at our roster and say we're Finals contenders. But you need to look at the other teams in the conference as well, for more perspective.

This isn't the LeBron-led Miami Heat in the same conference as 5 crap teams and the Bulls / Pacers. This is a year in which any team can come out of the West and only 2 would surprise me (DAL and POR).

14. Ranny

Ranny Member

I am not speaking for you, i am telling you what i understand from your many negative posts. In my opinion it seems that you have no faith whatsoever although there are many reasons for us to be hopeful for this years team.

Anyway i proposed 4 questions, care to answer them one by one?

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

People think the more negative they are, the more "realistic" and "smart" they are.

Sure, the Rockets could lose. They also could win.

1 person likes this.
  16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Why? I'll give you several reasons: 1998, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2013, 2014. Every one of those years saw the Rockets lose in the first round. 2009 was the only time they advanced.

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

1 reason only

Kevin McHale

18. Ranny

Ranny Member

Would you say any of those teams was as good as this one?

19. FTW Rockets FTW

Definitely. Lin is addition by subtraction, Ariza has adequately replaced Parsons and more and growt of DMO, TJ + Josh will more than make up for Asik. Plus Brewer

Yet to be seen come playoff time. Coaching goes to a whole new level come playoffs. Playoffs require coaches to think on their feet and be proactive and McHale is not that

Yes see answer to 1st question

I don't think anyone is sure we will be out of the 1st round but many don't have the full confidence that we will progress. Mainly because of the big let down of last post season. We were suppose to breeze through to the 2nd round but got our asses cleaned up by Stotts.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Out of all those "reasons," 2014 is the only year that matters to us.