1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Chris Paul is not Steve Nash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MC31B, May 12, 2019.

1. MC31B

MC31B Member

So I was a fan of the Paul trade and new contract. But after watching the guy struggle so much I'm really starting to believe that Chris Paul's problem is the same one that Carmelo Anthony had, terrible lifestyle choices that have led to early body breakdown.
    I was watching some highlights of 35 year old MVP Steve Nash tear up other teams and it is clear why their playing outcomes are so different even though their games are seemingly identical in many aspects.

Chris Paul is fat.

Sure by normal standards he is perfectly healthy but when I see him play, I see a guy who is hauling an extra 20 lbs of bf/muscle around the court. Watch those highlights of Nash play. The guy looked like he had a 4% bf percentage and he wasn't concerned with being the strongest person on the court. I get that Paul doesn't want to be abused in the post, but people are blowing by him and he isn't getting past anyone at this point. This is way more important than worrying about deangelo russell or some similar player taking him down on the block.

I remember reading about how Nash ate a completely inflammation free diet (like in the china study) and how he was all about organic foods. I don't see this with Chris Paul. To me he looks like a guy who eats mostly healthy but doesn't say no to pizza and cake at kids birthday parties either. To me his early decrease in production is completely his fault. I think the reason why he gets injured so much is that he is making his weak hamstrings carry way too much weight and his muscles are already aggravated from the junk he eats.

People can say he isn't fat but I don't believe for a second that his weight is 175 lbs. He looks more like 210 to me. Whoever Nash had for a nutritionist needs to be hired by the Rockets. It gets under my skin that the warriors had the insight to hire Nash before the Rockets thought about it. But if they wanted to have someone teach Chris Paul how to age gracefully and dominate in his 30s, who would have been a better person? But at the very least they can hire the person who taught him how to eat. There is no reason why Paul should not be able to do what Nash did at the same age and if I see Paul show up to training camp looking like "Mr Dad bod who lifts weights in his garage" again then I already know a championship isn't coming. I wouldn't make a big deal about this but if he wants to make 40 mil a year and not have the fans hate him then he at least needs to show up looking ripped. It's not like he has to deal with a full time job like the rest of us.

The way those two guys play is so similar. The only difference is that Paul does it 30% slower at the same age. Maybe I'm way off about this, but I think the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming for my point.

#1 MC31B, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    LosPollosHermanos and jboslett like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You don't trust Keith Jones to teach people how to eat?

3. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean, at the end of the day, this is all speculation. We dont know how Chirs Paul is gonna look thats true, and to be honest for his age hes been really good. Im not sure you understand how competitive Chris Paul is. If he sees something that needs to be worked out with his body, he will fix it.

Also, id actually like to compare Cps and Nash stats at this age, would be pretty interesting., they are two of my favorite guards ever.

4. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

He's on a plant based diet if I recall correctly

bmelo, juanm34 and topfive like this.
  5. napalm06

I don't think Chris Paul's weight is in the top 50 reasons that we lost this series.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Chris Paul only eats at Landry's.

bmelo and juanm34 like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

It was him not performing like Game 6 series, but really it was that Capela really let us down. Capela was the main reason, that and rebounds...rebounds cost us this series, just like it had all season.

rocks123 and juanm34 like this.
  8. napalm06

Yes. Gun to my head, I say it was rebounding and failed switching that constantly led to back door cuts and free rim runs. We worked really hard for our points and made it far too easy for them. They won the series on IQ plays, middle school fundamentals.

All of this discussion about Harden, Paul, and Moreyball is missing the point I think. You can't throw defense/rebounding out of the equation. I like MDA and Morey but we just can't seem to figure out how to get a reliable third PF/C aside from Capela and Tucker on this roster.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. MC31B

MC31B Member

I'm not talking about his red meat intake. I'm talking about his gluten, monosaccharide and starch intake. He and nene both can't keep up with anyone on defense, can't get past whoever is guarding them and there has been plenty of players that could do that in their 30's. Why else would they be so slow?

If I remember correctly, Grant Hill extended his career by being on the same diet Nash was on.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thinly-disguised CP3 is fat thread

11. MC31B

MC31B Member

They had all of those backdoor cuts because the Rocket's had to guard so many allstars at once. I don't think we are really disagreeing that much. What I'm saying is that Chris Paul has to work so hard for points because he is having to shoot over the outstretched hands of whatever lanky defender is guarding him instead of getting past the guy like Nash was doing at the same age.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

Completely agree, it was our issue all year and it was the issue that killed us in the POs. Our defense in game 5 and 6 simply wasnt good enough to stop them.

I dont think our defense was thrown out, I think we lacked the personnel simple as that. We needed that trade with Miami and Memphis to go through and it didnt and we ended up with just Shumpert(who wasnt bad honestly).

13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Are you talking about 'face mask' Nash who Robert horry slammed against the media scorer's table or beat up Lakers' nash.

[​IMG]

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

I prefer the fatly-disguised Corey Brewer is thin threads.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the biggest difference is that nash was a much more reliable shooter

apollo33, chadyang and MC31B like this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Bolded the most important parts of the original post.

Buck Turgidson and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

How much film have you actually watched of Nash at that age, Im a huge Nash fan and even I am still fuzzy on the details, if you are going to make a claim like this,I kinda need to see more numbers and film. And keep in mind Nash played 14 seasons at age 35, same as Paul has at 33.

MC31B likes this.
  18. napalm06

Agree, I didn't mean defense/rebounding was thrown out by the team. It seems to be thrown out by the fans when they analyze what went wrong.

HP3 likes this.
  19. MC31B

MC31B Member

Just about everything on here is an opinion. I was trying to make it readable. I know what BF% looks like at eyeball. It's not like it's difficult. People who have low percentages show veins and defined muscles. It's common knowledge.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

26-36, Nash about as durable as they come (at ~34 minutes per game)

[​IMG][​IMG]

MC31B likes this.