1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has to go beyond expectations/ ceilings to win it a championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Jul 26, 2013.

?

So Who Is It?

1. Howard

13.7%
  2. Harden

4.7%
  3. Parsons

9.6%
  4. Lin

37.5%
  5. The 4 position

22.1%
  6. Asik

0.6%
  7. The Rest Of The Bench

3.3%
  8. Mchale

4.3%
  9. Morey

0.4%
  10. Lebron getting injured?

3.9%
  1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I have seen the thread which was based on the concept of " if we don't make the playoffs who is to blame" but in saying that i couldn't find one specifically to this question.

The obvious answer here would be Harden or Howard, and arguing this as your answer is defiantly not wrong, however is Parsons, Lin, Asik, the 4 spot, the bench or even McHale the key to winning the championship..

Although the NBA is a superstar driven league, the quote " Your only as strong as your Weastest position" could have some merit to this discussion (cue the people saying Haslem and Chalmers), so in saying that the 4 spot and the pg spots are what i fell make or break this team from fringe contender to NOT 3,4,5,6 or 7 championships.

I hope this drives positive discussion form the community and doesn't turn into the random trade thread about where Lin can go :mad:

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Parsons. He has to become Paul George like

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think we can win it all if Lin because consistent and confident in his jumpshot.

4. Voice of Aus

I agree 110% if the man can become more consistent then i think winning 16 games in the playoffs becomes a hell of a lot more realistic

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I picked Morey, but it is really what he can get for Asik.
    Maybe I should have picked Asik the Asset?
    But, what we get back needs to be better than expected, whether it be a really good 6th man or a starting 4.

6. Voice of Aus

on the 6th man part of your answer, what type of player do you have in mind?

1 person likes this.
  7. newAge_Rockets

The 4 spot. Lin has shown inconsistent flashes of good play, but that 4 spot for a guy that could hit a jumper off a kick from Harden or Howard drive is what would put this team in the same conversation as the top tier of teams.

8. Mashing

Mashing Member

It has to be Lin. If Lin plays well, this team will go to the finals IMO.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, I think Morey is gonna have to suit up and play an Anthony Mason type role to get this thing done. He's been slacking.

10. LiveEatSleepRox

I was torn between 'Rest of the bench' and 'McHale' because we all know what the majority of our starters can do. Our core guys have shown levels of being a REALLY good playoff team.

The little bit extra may come from how the coach handles the matchups and reads the situation. But, when the main guys come out, its up to the bench to build momentum or at least keep the game even. I ended up going for the bench because it's still a toss up WHO that includes.

11. smr6

smr6 Member

Everyone has to step up. Even if just a little bit.

12. keez857

keez857 Member

Lin already has ridiculous expectations from half of CF. So is he going to have to put up 20/10+ numbers for us to win?

13. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

If Lin gives you 15/8, that would be huge for this team.

14. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

This. It's not on any individual. We've seen that even the Miami Heat in their first season together took a long time to get an identity and put it all together. We know this group will be able to put up points, but everyone will need to step up their defense if we seriously want to contend.

15. Fighton

Fighton Member

lin won't have the ball all that much with harden and howard and now parsons thinking he's another superstar. lin will be the 4th option.

whether your 4th option shoots 33% or 37% from the three should NOT dictate whether you win that many more games. this is ridiculous.

your superstars, the max guys, HAVE TO to be the one to carry the team and perform above expectations.

if lebron passed to chalmers and he missed that 4th quarter jumper from the top of the key, who's fault is it? every news outlet would put the blame on lebron from not taking the shot. only in houston would people blame lin for missing a shot that harden/howard/parsons passed up.

if you're depending on your 4th option to perform above expectations and win games for you, then he shouldn't be your 4th option.

that's like asking the accountant in a fortune 500 company to help move the stock price. really??

16. Voice of Aus

When I was making my poll, I was tossing up either "everyone" or "Lebron getting injured" my bad lol

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It doesn't matter who is what option. If Lin has a consistent shot, he will get the ball. And as the starting PG, he is going to run the play at least a third of the time IF he can consistently make things happen.

It's a matter of being aggressive. I like Lin and I hope we don't trade him. But I don't blame the coach or Harden for Lin's inconsistent play. There were games he took over and played like a superstar. He needs to do that more often and you won't hear things like "McHale is dumb" or "Harden is a ballhog."

18. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

The difference is you can't just give the ball to Parsons in an iso situation and expect him to create something. He doesn't have a post game nor can he dribble well. He gets most of his points in a spot up/pump fakes, slashes, and fast breaks. Not pick and rolls and isos, like Lin and Harden can do.

19. Fighton

Fighton Member

i think if your #1 option becomes more consistent then winning 16 games in the playoffs becomes a hell of a lot more realistic.

someone posted all the players' scoring variance for the year and lin's is not less consistent then anyone else. in fact the variance between high and low was even bigger for beverley and parsons. if people are expecting 100% shooting as "consistent" then that's not going to happen. even if he shoots 50% he's gonna miss half of his shots.

20. Voice of Aus

What's more imports for lin to be consistent in?
    1. To guard and defend top pg's effectvly
    2. To shoot the 3 ball more consistently

My answer is option 1 as it makes beverly a very very tradeable asset

(I'm not a LOF haha)