1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do the Astros draft number 1?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobmarley, Oct 3, 2011.

?

Who will the Astros select first overall in the draft?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2011.
  1. Mark Appel

48.7%
  2. Lucas Giolito

10.3%
  3. Devin Marrero

12.8%
  4. Lance McCullers

25.6%
  5. Nick Williams

43.6%
  6. Other, please name

12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I wonder if Luhnow will surprise fans with his draft picks, much like his cross town rival Daryl Morey.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I guess he always could draft an undersized PF.

1 person likes this.
  3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Nathan Rode ‏ @BAHighSchool

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Follow-up: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/03/giolito-out-for-the-season/

5. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Giolito might fall out of the first round. Astros could blow their sandwich pick on him then.

7. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'm no baseball expert, but I'm trying to be more involved with the sport. Is his injury a red flag for the future? Would this sort of thing eventually lead to surgery if he strains it again?

8. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

There are a number of factors that go into it. IE. Throwing motion, arm slot, etc..

I haven't watched any video on Giolito, but any arm injury at that age you'd have to label as cause for concern.

1 person likes this.
  9. juicystream

Sucks for him, but good for us:

1) Injured now rather than possibly after we drafted him #1
    2) May be available lower in the draft

Ultimately he probably goes to college now.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I think he doesn't sign now. Not much chance of him pulling a Matt Purke under the new draft rules. Quite a shame.

Looks like it's down to Gausman, Zunino, Appel, Buxton, Marrero.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

interesting find. appel continues to sound unimpressive/unexciting for a #1 overall.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

While appel does seem somewhat unimpressive, Zimmer seems like a project pick. He does seem to show that he will be very good with the Cods. But the No. 1 pick for a guy who has not pitched for very long seems like somewhat of a risky move.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Apparently he threw 22 straight strikes to begin his debut start this season, and has cleaned up his mechanics considerably. It depends how he shows for the rest of the season, but even though he just converted to starter, he doesn't sound like much of a project to me :eek: Seems like he's taking to pitching like a fish to water.

15. Mashing

Mashing Member

Also keep in mind that the draft is not until June (or is it July). That will be plenty of time to evaluate him during the season.

16. juicystream

From late first rounder/sandwich round to possible 1st overall on 40 pitches? That would speak to the lack of an expected generational talent. Of course Appel still probably remains the front runner, and this guy would have to produce over the course of the season in order to be considered #1.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

We already knew that though... no Strasburg or Harper in this draft class.

I'm not sure Appel is even the frontrunner anymore. A lot of people have soured on him. The field is wide open right now. I hope Zimmer does keep this up all year and shows himself to be a big step above all the others.

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Keith Law (@keithlaw) tweets from today:

Mark Appel's line vs. Rice tonight: http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2011-2012/stanbb13.html

9 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 14 K, 1 hit batter, 8 flyouts, 5 groundouts, no decision. He faced 34 batters. Stanford won 4-2 in 10.

Kyle Zimmer took the mound for San Francisco against Fresno State. Here's his line: http://usfdons.com/sports/m-basebl/2011-12/boxscores/20120309_w3ld.xml

6 IP, 9 H (1 HR), 6 ER, BB, 10 K, facing 29 batters. He took the loss as his team fell 6-2. Zimmer allowed 3 in the bottom of the 2nd and 3 more in the 5th.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Also, in other top pitching prospect news, Kevin Gausman got the start for LSU against Michigan.

One word: electric. Allowed 2 hits in 8 shutout innings and struck out 11 as the Tigers blanked the Wolverines 6-0. 8 groundouts to 5 flyouts. Took 100 pitches for him to log his 8 innings. Retired 19 straight at one point.

Apparently this happened.

Kurt McCune (@kcune39)

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

If Gausman is hitting 102 he could easily be a #1 starter, not a #2 like people have been saying.

Zimmer's start looks bad on the surface but I like that he struck out 10 and only walked 1. That means 25 strikeouts and only 1 walk this season :eek:

Appel dominating is good too... but I wish one guy would just step up and separate himself from the pack damn it!

All three guys could become aces at the ML level.