1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are the best Centers that are available?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aggie 99, Jun 29, 2009.

?

Your preferred Rockets' Starting Center?

Poll closed Aug 28, 2009.
  1. Chris Bosh

61.1%
  2. Amare Stoudemire

38.9%
  1. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

With Yao probably playing fewer minuets, I think that finding a good Center to play alon with Yao es mas importante'.

I would love to get a guy like Camby or even Okur and cut Yao's miniets from 34 MPG to as low as 25 MPG. I was wondering who else, that is 7 foot, and out there that would play solid D where we would not loose all of our offensive options when he played.

Channing Frye (7'-PF)
    Pops Mensah-Bonsu
    Jake Voskuhl
    Calvin Booth
    Raef LaFrentz
    Theo Ratliff
    Adonal Foyle
    Marcin Gortat
    Jason Collins
    Francisco Elson
    Zaza Pachulia
    Aaron Gray
    Chris Andersen (6'10" FC)

Do any of these guys stand out as someone that you want? There aren't any C's in the development league. There wern't any C's that would justify a roster spot that wasn't drafted.

This means that the only option is maybe a trade?

1 person likes this.
  2. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

sorry about the misspellings...

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

Frye is too week. I remember Scola dominating him....

Theo Ratliff sounds pretty good.

Gortat would be awesome.

Elson would be a serviceable back-up.

Zaza Pachulia is pretty good too, and out of the ones listed, he'd be most ready to start, IMO.

Chris Anderson also would be nice. (We'd might have the "hometown" discount, since he lived near College Station)

4. ajsports23

ajsports23 Member

5. Convictedstupid

I like Gortat and Anderson. I think Gortat will definitely be the easier of the 2 to get. Anderson has stated he wants to remain in denver.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

good thread. we do need size behind yao. i don't think the free agent pool is the place to find it. first, let's see what we could get for tmac. we should be looking to trade for a perimeter scorer, but a backup center might be included. second, let's work out the ron situation. if both sides can't agree on a contract, or if he's replaced by incoming talent from a tmac trade, we might have to S&T him, possibly for a backup center.

lastly, the rockets only option to sign free agent's this summer is the MLE. if we use it on anyone other than wafer, we cannot resign him since we don't have his bird rights (MLE only way to sign him). so the question becomes, would you rather have one of those guys on your list or von?

i'd rather von because there are other ways (as i mentioned above) of finding a decent backup C.

7. That Boi Oz

That Boi Oz Member

I think Gortat will ask for more money then what he is worth since he had a good playoffs performance. I wouldn't mind having Frye. He is not going to overpower you phsyically but would be a serviceable back up C. He has good shot blocking ability and can be inserted when the Rockets go small to run with the small guys. Frye is in no mans land in Portland since they have so many big men.

8. AXG

AXG Member

Does anyone think the Rockets could get Tiago Splitter from San Antonio? Even if the Rockets had to trade someone like Landry or some draft picks, I like his size and defensive ability.

9. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Out of that list I like:

Gortat - probably out of our price range
    Andersen - also out of our price range
    Pachulia - decent all around game, and probably not too expensive, but possibly still too much
    Ratliff - I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one we ended up with for the vets minimum

Pugs

10. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Rasheed or McDyess

11. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I think that the Spurs need him too much to let him go. I think his "improvement" is why they traded K. Thomas and Oberto away, even though they will have a chance to get them back.

Kurt Thomas is someone else I think should be added to the potential FA list. I would like to see him in Red.

12. raining threes

I would sign Gortat. There is no garantee when Yao will be back and I think Von can be replaced by Taylor or Budinger. If they dont work out Morey can always move McGrady at the trade deadline to fill the holes.

If we need to make a trade to get Rubio that's another story.

I would jump on a Rubio trade in a heartbeat.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I am a proud member of the Gortat bandwagon. Chris Andersen would be nice, but I think he's entrenched in Denver. And rightfully so, I must add.

14. Asian Sensation

Gortat will likely end up somewhere where he'll not only get paid but have a starting position as well. He's too good to be Dwight or Yao's backup.

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Here is my order:

Zaza Pachulia
    Marcin Gortat
    Chris Andersen
    Jason Collins

Rockets really need to save a full MLE to have a chance to get a good backup center in the above list. If we use a half of MLE to sign Wafer, then we have little chance to get Pachulia, or Gortat. I think Wafer can be replaced by other guys, and a good backup center is a must.

1 person likes this.
  16. HalataHoops

HalataHoops Member

With our history there’s a good chance come playoff time he would be our starting center.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This is true.

18. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Chris Andersen or Jason Collins. I'd prefer Andersen.

19. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

We need a guy that will be able to contribute playing 15-20 MPG. I just think that Yao will need that much rest. That being said would Gortat start, no, but will he play a LOT. Probably yes.

20. Glacier

Glacier Member

We need a backup C who has quickness and height to guard PF-type center. So Anderson would be perfect fit. But I doubt we could get him at a decent price.