1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Top Free Agent Big Benefits most from Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Mar 4, 2013.

?

Which Free Agent Would Benefit the Most from the Rockets?

1. Josh Smith

50 vote(s)
    20.4%
  2. David West

17 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Paul Milsap

30 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Dwight Howard

124 vote(s)
    50.6%
  5. Andrew Bynum

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Al Jefferson

18 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. BreakYoSelfFool

The biggest challenge in making roster moves is predicting how incoming players will perform in their new environment. In order to get the best talent you want players who will play better with your team than they did with their current team. To do this you look for players that are not reaching their full potential with their current situation and could be even better with your team.

When signing a free agent, it is not important how good you have been, but how good you will be with your current team. When done properly this will make many moves that seemed like head scratchers actually end up being bargains. Some examples of these types of moves would be trading for Dragic or signing Carlos Delfino.

The Rockets done a fairly good job of picking up guys who will flourish in the roles we put them in, with James Harden being the most significant example. With this in mind, which top free agent big man would receive the greatest benefit from coming to Houston?

PF:

Josh Smith – Somewhat of a career underachiever, Josh Smith has plenty of room to improve.

Major Factors: Change of scenery needed, need of strong coaching, need of positive leadership, unhappy with current team, not reaching full potential, not utilized properly, post coaching, better supporting cast

Smith entered the league straight out of high school and currently plays for his hometown team. Although a hometown guy Smith has never really been embraced by Atlanta fans or media. Josh also has had questionable coaching that have utilized him improperly and kept him from reaching his full potential. Many of the major criticisms of Josh (shot selection, basketball IQ, attitude, etc.) are for things that could have been easily corrected with proper coaching. It's possible that if he had been tutored by McHale when he came in the league he would be another Kevin Garnett. Also, Josh has never played with a player as good as James Harden and possible never played with a PG as good as Lin (Bibby?). The current game plan of the Rockets would play to Josh’s strengths as the weakest part of his game, midrange jumper, is removed from the offense almost completely. Also, the things Josh does well would be emphasized, blocks and steals, running the floor, fast break, inside game. Josh has been able to hover around 35% 3pt shooting for this whole season and could possibly push it up a few percentage pts with the easier looks provided in our offense.

David West – David West has shown he can play at a higher level than he has with the Pacers.

Major Factors: Better supporting cast, better team leadership, not reaching full potential, return to Southwest

David West played the best ball of his career when he had his best overall team surrounding him. He appears to be the type of player whose game elevates with better teammates. When playing with a superstar player on the level with James Harden, David West was an All-Star and team captain. West appears to play better with better PGs and Lin is better than his current PG situation. West may also experience resurgence returning to the Southwest division.

Paul Millsap – Paul Millsap has shown he is a quality player, but could possibly take another step towards greatness

Major Factors: Fresh start, post coaching, better supporting cast

Millsap has played his entire career in Utah, and may excel in a different work environment. He has shown he has a decent inside game, and with the help of hall of fame post coaching he could be even better.

Centers:

Dwight Howard – Once a top MVP candidate and Defensive POY regular, Dwight has been struggling in his current role.

Major Factors: Change of scenery needed, need of strong coaching, need of positive leadership, unhappy with current team, not reaching full potential, not utilized properly

Dwight Howard is by no means done, and is nowhere near playing his best basketball. With the potential to go down as one of the all-time greats, Dwight could benefit from another change of scenery. With consistent post coaching, Dwight could even surpass previous levels. A happy Dwight is a productive Dwight and he seems far from happy with his current situation. Dwight could benefit from being around younger players and a more fun loving team.

Andrew Bynum – Bynum has missed the whole season with injury, after showing flashes of getting his game together

Major Factors: Health

The Rockets learned the hard way about injuries, especially to big men. Since those injury plagued seasons, the Rockets have gotten younger and remained relatively healthy. If the Rockets can get Bynum on the court, he is sure to surpass the current season.

Al Jefferson – In Minnesota, Al Jefferson showed he could be one of the rare 20/10 guys in the NBA; however, he has not lived up to that potential with the Jazz.

Major Factors – Coaching reunion, need of positive leadership, better supporting cast

Al Jefferson experienced his best seasons working with Kevin McHale and could return to those levels with a reunion. The Rockets would be the most talented roster he has ever played on and could allow him to flourish.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Toss-up between Millsap and West.

Both have the mid-range jumper; they can spread the floor better, and thus achieve better spacing when Asik mans the 5.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

No Jazz players. See DWill as an example. They are already in the best situation and still could not produce.

No Laker players. Dwight Howard might be just another Bynum if Lakers do not want him.

Josh Smith is the only option.

4. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Al,Paul,West, or Dwight.

I just hope DM doesn't go for Smith.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Dwight Howard. Not close.

6. BreakYoSelfFool

Actually, this poll is about who the Rockets help most, and not who helps the Rockets most. So it should not be affected by who you would rather see on the Rockets. More about who has the most potential for improvement with our team

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Since Dwight Howard helps the Rockets the most, its a no brainer that he benefits the most from the Rockets as well.

8. RayStats34

RayStats34 Member

Dwight Howard is the only option I want....bynum will never be completely healthy, I want to see D-mo grow than sign josh Smith and his basketball IQ and team disciplinary problems,Nilsson or west. Chris Paul is not leaving the clippers!!

9. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

Dwight Howard. /thread....

10. Anxiety Trooper

Bad poll. I would be shocked if Howard doesn't get 90%

11. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Right on. I never liked either of them, when we played against them, coz we always got burned by opposing PF who can shoot, year after year. But if I can have them on my team, it's another story, although I don't really like West's spoiled kid attitude taken from Chris Paul and the fact that Milsap played for Jazz.

Still, if we can get them, it would be great addition to our front court, scoring/rebounding/defending. Getting Howard is a waste of Asik's upside, and I really don't want all that drama from him. As his explosiveness regresses, his ego, desire for attention, and childishness just ballooned to an unbearable level.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

David West isn't underused with the Pacers, that's ridiculous. He's having one of his best years, and that's at age 32 and coming of a horrible knee injury.
    He's a slower but very smart player who benefits greatly from the slow pace, great defensive system and great athletes around him in Indiana.

As for who would benefit the most from playing on the Rockets... i'd say it's between Dwight and Millsap. I think this would be a trampoline to all star game for Millsap. He's a bit hidden right now in Utah because of the market and level of the team, and because Al Jefferson isn't an easy player to play with even if you are as versatile as Millsap. I think Millsap would fill a ton of holes on both ends for the Rockets, and he'd get all the props he deserves.
    As for Dwight, he's not in the best situation right now; i think he'd benefit from being on a young athletic team, next to a star teammate in Harden who's got ~10 years ahead of him.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Pekovic should be on this list IMO

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The logic here is clearly not flawed. :rolleyes:

15. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I really don't think we use cap space on anything more than some super-subs off the bench. 2014 is the real prize

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

think about how Millsap's career trajectory fits with this team.

Harden- superstar now, but has always been considered an underdog.

Lin- undrafted

Parsons- second rounder

Millsap - second rounder

Asik- second rounder

Beverley- undrafted

think about the kinds of personalities these guys have. you need a guy whos gonna fit into that mentality and be cohesive.

Josh Smith and Dwight are out of contention bc 1)they arent "lunchpail" guys

2)they cost too much money

so if we can get millsap at a super undervalued contract (of which morey is master)

then in a few years we'll be able to pay parsons, keep lin, maybe asik... and sign more depth.

spending all this cap room on ONE guy is NOT WORTH IT

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can see and appreciate how you're trying to turn the question around. I'm sorry everyone has turned it into yet another I-want-Player-X thread.

That said, I think there's a danger of rationalizing with this approach as well. Because I want Milsap and not Howard, for example, I might imagine that next year's Rockets will reward big who can shoot from midrange. Really, when you're talking about a second-star kind of player, the offense and the defense is going to morph to take advantage of his skills and cover up his deficiencies because he's pretty important to the team's tactics. It's the role-players that have to conform to the strategy of the team. If we get the second coming of Yao Ming, we won't be the run-and-gun team we have now; we'll change everything to feed the post. So it is (to a lesser extent) if we get Howard vs. Smith vs. Milsap vs. whomever.

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

the Rockets would adjust but i think his point is that some players are already in great situations that maximize their abilities and 'name'.

For instance, i don't think Josh Smith would become a revelation in Houston compared to who he is in Atlanta. Unless he finally grows up, i don't think he'll reach all star status where ever he goes. The Hawks have tried really hard with him, they tried to do so many different things - transition, post ups, main playmaker, isos. They've tried him at Sf, Pf, center. They tried him in very different defensive situations. In the end, he keeps making the same mistakes. On top of it, they allowed him be the #1 option and 'the man' even though he's quite clearly not their most effective player.
    I don't think his next team will be able to do more for him.

Or David West. He's pretty much a perfect fit in Indiana right now.The pace suits him well, big defenders around him to cover for his lack of elite athleticism, and he has green light to score as much as he wants for a 50 win team. I don't think he'd find a better situation elsewhere.

Now Millsap or some other names on that list... some of those guys are quite underused /underappreciated.

20. Roxs-Redemption

Dwight Howard. :grin:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/bullcitymarine">bullcitymarine</a> this summer I will.</p>&mdash; Dwight Howard (@DwightHoward) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwightHoward/status/307728439849394176">March 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>