1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which is greater Clutch City I or II (for Tinman)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 28, 2008.

?

Which was greater? Clutch City I or II

1. Clutch City I, it was Houston's first Championship.

30 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Clutch City II, what the Rockets overcame to repeat was amazing.

64 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. Both were equally great.

39 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. I don't remember either and /or don't care.

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In honor of Clutchfans resident sage of elder Rox lore Tinman and to take our minds off of Yao which do you think is greater:
    Clutch City I the first championship run in 1994 when the Rox overcame the defending Western Conference Suns in a hard fought 7 game series, dominated the Jass in the WCF and then slogged out a war of attrition vs the Knicks in the Finals.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G67Nm6OpgBw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G67Nm6OpgBw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Or Clutch City II in 1995 when the Rox limped into the playoffs to surprise the Jazz in the WCQ, came back from near death a few times to deliver the kiss of death on the Suns, then dismantled MVP David Robinson and the capper to sweep the young and powerful Magic with Penny Hardaway at his prime and Shaq starting his dominance.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PW4z9tY9ewQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PW4z9tY9ewQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. BlackSombrero

BlackSombrero Member

Tough, tough question!

But I must say that Clutch City II is greater just for the sheer fact that no one thought that we would be able to repeat. The majority of the media thought our first Championship was a fluke.

How sweet it was to prove them wrong.

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

They're like your children. You love them both.

4. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

CCI was sweet because it was the first major championship in Houston history.

But, CCII was sweeter, because the Rockets overcame impossible odds to win it all, and the homecoming of Clyde Drexler was a great story to boot.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i still remember the sheer feeling of bliss i had for the second one after we swept the magic...the first championship series was great but it was ruined because of the stupid OJ chase for me out here in LA. i didnt even get a good split screen of the game and chase. it was just the chase.

i think the second because i remember that every analyst counted the rockets out of each series...like oh the cant win in utah its way too tough...then down 3-1 to the suns...the rockets played well but this is the end for them...then they are worn down from the suns and now have to face the MVP, a nice story but it ends here....then they are facing the future of the nba they cant compete with the young guns of the magic.

i think the capper was Rudy T's speech. I get teary eyed everytime i think about it...even now.

1995 greatest sports year ever for me (the bruins won it all that year too!)

oh and if ANYONE chooses the last option in this poll they need to sit down with tinman or get the F off of this site

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i put them as equal.

keep in mind the drama that was Clutch City 1.

1. down 0-2, labeled "CHOKE CITY"

2. Houston sports - 1992 -Oilers @ Buffalo, 1993 -Oilers vs Joe Montana, Rockets blow 20 point lead in the 4th quarter vs Phoenix

3. OJ Simpson

4. John Starks calling Houston "hell".

5. Knicks had championship SI edition, no Rockets edition if we win

6. the NBA finals went 7 games

7. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

II seemed to validate I, and Clyde Drexler was part of II. In the sequel, we found out which players could really overcome adversity, and which ones couldn't.

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

You can't have II without I.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Clutch City II team was better.Clutch City I brought the 1st championship, thus both were equally great for me.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

well Clutch City I,

was where Clutch City originated when Vernon Maxwell showed his leadership and this fire and dropped 35 points on the Suns in Phoenix, 31 in the second half. "lighting the fire" as the announcer mentions.
    "Gutsy-est performance in Rockets history" -said Jim Foley.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G67Nm6OpgBw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G67Nm6OpgBw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

it was Maxwell that changed the fortunes of the city forever.
    he was the Jesus Christ of the Rockets. he's still being persecuted by haters now. but us faithful know him. Dream is his daddy!

11. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

luv 'em both but the second was sweeter.

12. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Clutch City III will exceed them both in immediacy and media coverage... I can't wait! :D

13. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yo4PY_FVK7A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yo4PY_FVK7A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

14. tinman

Supporting Member

even though Kenny had his legendary performance against Orlando in 1995,
    he was spectacular through the entire series against the Jazz in the WCF in 1994.

15. Curly

Curly Member

Clutch City I

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I love them both, but Clutch City I was more special to me. It was the first, and it included my favorite Rocket at the time, Otis Thorpe.

17. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

How did you feel when Thorpe was traded?

18. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Clutch City III we be the greatest one

19. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I'm partial to CC2 because I was telling anyone who would listen that the Rockets would do it again. People looked at me like I was crazy, family members thought I was crazy. Well, except my sister who I pretty much convinced through my blind faith in the Rockets. She was living in Milwaukee and at work one day when people started talking about the upcoming 95 finals. They were saying Orlando this and Orlando that and she was like "I don't want to hear any of it, the Rockets are going to win again".

I followed that team more closely than the CC1 team. I guess it was one of those things were they pretty much dominated whatever free time I had. I was also a season ticket holder that year, so I got to witness it in person. I also got to see them on the road as well.

For some reason as time goes by, CC1 gets more hazy in my memory, but not CC2. It's like yesterday.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If Clutch City I was Star Wars, then Clutch City II was The Empire Strikes Back.

And I prefer Empire. :D