1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Where's Walt?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

Any news on the Wizard at training camp?

18 players i suppose would include him...

2. Holden

Holden Member

he is going to sign with another team.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

There isn't anywhere to put him on the team and he isn't going to get any playing time at the 3 w/ Rice and Nachbar there....

4. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Do you have any evidence saying that he'll sign elsewhere? Because I have a feeling that if worse comes to worse he could re-sign with the Rockets out of desperation.

5. JamesC

JamesC Member

I was gonna post the same thing. You beat me to it. It seems like the rockets are going to let him walk. I like the Wizard and I hope he gets picked up by somebody else.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I remember seeing some article where Walt's agent said he had 7 or so teams inquiring for his services.

Sonics were going to make a play for him had they failed to sign Lewis. I've read that Miami would like to pick him up.

There's interest, just not from the Rocks.

7. Panda

Panda Member

Walt sucks. Good riddance.

8. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Walt doesn't suck. He was the best 3-point shooter on the team last year and averaged around 10 points a game. It's not like he was a Langhi or Collier- Walt actually played a role in the Rockets' system, and that was as the long-range shooter off the bench.

9. Holden

Holden Member

walt did not "suck"
    but hes a poor mans glen rice..
    and we already have glen rice...

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I get so tired of hearing that this player or that player sucks. Walt was a Rocket (I'm a little crazy but I believe in cheering all roster Rockets) and was deserving of fan support. Actually, no one who earns the right to play in the NBA "sucks."

Granted, some players are better than others and it's a fan's right to choose his or her heroes and which player he or she really wants on the team because that player can contribute better. But I do tire of these "sucking" tirades. Thanks, I just had to vent.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The agent actually said that Walt is "probably the top guy out there right now" :D.

12. franchise?..NOT

With Chokewell down in NY, I bet he ends up with the Knicks!

13. Murph

Murph Member

The Wizard always showed a lot of heart. Pesonally, If Walt isn't a Rocket this season, I'm going to miss him. I'm sure San Antonio will pick him up as they do all ex-Rocket players, If not Walt can always make a rap album. You know I've heard Walt has mad skills on the mic.

14. Panda

Panda Member

You guys can vent all you want, but the Rockets are much better off with Nachbar and a rejuvenated Rice. Walt "the Fault" can't dribble, defend and slash worth a dime. He's good at 3 point shooting but even that was inconsistent. He's such a liability on the floor to warrant 4.5 mils a year. Looking like a 40 yr old at about 30 doesn't help his case either. Walt sucks and that's why he's still unemployed right now. I'd rather give those minutes he played to Dan Langhi. We can't make a sign and trade deal with him for a second round pick becuase he has no value. What a waste of capspace and time.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I dont know why you would even be thinking about him! He has gone away and its only positive for the Rox.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Walt sucks, they should have given Langhi his minutes.

DaDakota

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I don't agree, but the Phoenix Sun appear to share your opinion.

18. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Uh....umm...Walt sucks.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Murph's right, San Antonio will probably pick him up and he'll only play well against the Rockets (game-winning 3-pointers and such).

Miami has interest in him? That'd be an interesting match. Riley likes players who D up. There is no "d" in "Walt."

Come to think of it, there's no "d" in "Rockets," either.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<blockquote><hr><i>Originally quoted by Shooter1583</i>

Walt doesn't suck. He was the best 3-point shooter on the team last year.<hr></blockquote>
    Mobley was the best 3-pt shooter last year, identical in numbers to Nowitzki. He was at 43% in March (which had him near top 10), and 41% until the last 4 games. In fact, for all but the last 4 games, only Barry and Allen had a higher % at more attempts. He ended up 6th with Reggie Miller, Pierce and Garrity passing him. That's some nice company.