1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where will Kevin Sumlin end up?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Air Langhi, Dec 2, 2011.

?

where

1. atm

38.8%
  2. asu

11.3%
  3. uh

46.3%
  4. other

3.8%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

#41 DonnyMost, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I don't get how any deal would be done when Sumlin hasn't even been in direct talks with another program. Why on earth would you go anywhere unless you've had a chance to personally interview and meet the administration and view the facilities?

In any case, I keep hearing all this talk that he's as good as gone, that we (UH) can't compete with the bigger schools. If you're talking about Alabama, LSU, Texas, OK, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, USC etc, etc then I can buy that. But A&M??

Since when have the Aggies been truly relevant for a sustained period of time? They're giving away money right and left for coach's buyouts and exits fees for the conference. They haven't been able to win the Big 12, so how will they find the magic formula to win in the SEC? Sure they have more money to offer and have a rabid fan/alumni base, but I'm just not buying that when A&M comes a calling, you go.

He stays at UH, he has a chance to turn this program into a bona fide consistent winner along the likes of a Boise State. If we go to the Big East we'll be in an AQ conference. We'll have a new stadium here shortly. And job security. It would probably take multiple 0-11 seasons at this point for him to get the axe.

If he goes and exits in a classy manner, then I wish him nothing but the best. But I really hope he decides to stay. I'm not buying that A&M is all that better than UH, except when it comes to the $$$.

3. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

ASUDevilscom ASUDevils.com
    Source: ASU felt increasingly clear as today wore on that Kevin Sumlin will be headed to Texas A&M. #SunDevils

:eek:

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hope so. Liked Sherman, but he obviously failed.

#44 Uprising, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Nothing prohibits Sumlin from working for A&M and UH at the same time. He won't officially start with the Ags until hopefully after the Sugar Bowl. Assuming he takes the A&M job.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I think you just answered your question.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'm hoping ASU. I went to UG there and am at UH for post grad work now so it would be pretty cool to see that happen.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I've posted how I thought it would be a bad move to A&M. The program is in such a state of flux. Regents blamed the coach for not doing well. Moving conferences. I realized something though.

At the end of the day, he would be a head coach in the SEC. That's saying something.

10. aggie87

aggie87 Member

because we are not a commuter school in the worst part of town and plays in a cupcake conference

when finished, we will have some of the best facilities in the nation....we have among the 10 largest college football venues and a tv deal that will put us on CBS every Saturday

look at our top 10 recruiting class coming in with a 5 star Trey Williams from Houston, ask him why he didn't go to Oklahoma, Alabama or LSU...

we have everything we need to be a top program and Sumlin would be out of his mind to turn down a coaching offer in the SEC....A&M is easily one of the top 15 coaching jobs in college football

11. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I am guessing the sales pitch "Come hewe Cwoach Swumlin...and you can get away fwum aww the scawwy minorities" might not have quite the appeal it would have for your typical Aggie coach.

12. Nook

Nook Member

No, you are located in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do.

"Will have"? okay... and I don't know that getting blownout every saturday on national television is a good thing.

Yes, every year I hear about a great class, and every year it doesnt develop.

It is funny that you call it easily one of the top 15 coaching jobs in college football because Texas A&M havent finished in the top 15 in over 15 years... sure sounds like a top 15 job, especially with a terrible administration and being second banana in the state of Texas.

I guess the best thing is that A&M was .500% in the big XII, so .333% in the SEC will be hilarious.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Really other than Alabama and LSU what great teams are there in the SEC. With juco transfer Auburn won the national championship. The year the Alabama won Texas would have had a good chance with Colt. Arkansas was down double digits to Texas A&M. I think sumlin can succeed there.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That is not true. You want to know to who the top two ranked teams were in recruiting in 2009? They are ranked 1 and 2 in the polls. Obviously a great recruiting class doesn't guarantee anything, but if you don't have talent it will be hard to overcome.

15. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

As long as UH is left out of all the BCS realignment (I dont cound Big east though great for bball) than this was going to happen.

There's probaly 30-40 schools that would be considered upgrades over UH if not more. aTm is certainly a top 15 job if not higher....

If somehow UH can land in the big 12 and get that stadium than it becomes an elite job but until than its just not....

If aTm was winning than they wouldnt be calling obviously they have problems but still capable of winning on the national level as much as anybody......

16. Nook

Nook Member

Florida and Auburn have been dominant recently... you know, winning national championships recently. Arkansas is a top 10 team this year... Georgia and TENN have had their moments as well....

Sorry, but the SEC has been stacked, and will be in the future...

17. Nook

Nook Member

Recent history says otherwise.

18. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

LOL. Typical delusional aggy.

19. aggie87

aggie87 Member

He is returning to Aggieland, expect an announcement sometime this weekend...ASU backed off because they know he has decided on Tamu...

in all honesty, I think he is a poor man's Leech....I would have much preferred Kirby Smart over him

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You are right that the next coach will need to work to keep the good recruiting class together. Matt Davis, and several other recruits have told Billy Liucci that they aren't going anywhere. That is reassuring. Sumlin can accept the job, call the recruits, meet with them and then get back to the business of preparing UH for the bowl game.

Sumlin would be a fantastic hire for the Ags.