1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your Current Level of Rage Towards the Colts/Manning.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RocketMania1991, Jan 3, 2010.

1. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I agree. Regardless of play-off position, a 14-0 team does NOT play in a meaningless game. Therefore the starters should not be rested. It's a slap in the face of the spirit of competition to the other teams that dont get the luxury of going up against a team resting its starters while also fighting for their play-off lives. And that's on the Colts.

Sorry, but of all the 9-7 teams that were in the play-off chase, the Jets deserved it least. Heck, I would prefer the Steelers get in over the Jets. At least they earned their 9 wins. You can argue that the Texans benefited from the Pats benching Brady on the last drive. Fine. Steelers over Jets.

2. BucMan55

Great scenario for me is Jets beating the two teams that laid down to them in the first 2 rounds of the play-offs. While the Patriots win thier game against the Ravens and have an epic showdown with San Diego. Winner goes to Super Bowl after the glass slipper breaks on the Jets.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

my main problem with the colts is when they did it. up 15-10 in the 3rd quarter of the 15th game? b.s. unless it's indicated before the game that they were only going to play a half.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

They should have played to win in week 16. It's simple. They deprived their fans of an undefeated regular season. If they didn't win the SB, they would have still been in the record books..

I was hella pissed last week but that's gone away now.

5. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

You guys are angry with the Colts and Bengals for what they did, but you don't really have a problem with the half assed effort the Patriots gave on Sunday do you? Hypocricy.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I understand what you're saying...and I'm really not all that pissed about it.

I think my biggest problem is that the Jets got lay-down jobs two weeks in a row. We all understand resting starters in Week 17...but to have a team win 2 consecutive "must wins" to get to the playoffs in games where teams didn't give full effort?? I THINK that's unprecedented. I certainly can't remember that happening before.

I think that strikes big time at the integrity of the league, frankly...the integrity of the scheduling. There are only 16 games in a season...to have 2 of them decided that way for a team just seems incredible. That would be the equivalent of 21 "lay down" games in a baseball season...or roughly 10-11 "lay down" games in an NBA season. That's pretty significant, I'd say.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

My current level of rage, on a scale between 1 through Chris Brown, is: CHRIS BROWN.

[​IMG]
    :mad:

8. BucMan55

Wow, you call that effort yesterday half-assed?? You would be better just attacking the decision to sit Brady the final drive. That's at least tangible. Tell Edelman his effort was half-assed. I was sure convinced that it was Welker under that jersey. Junior Seau sure looked like he was just loafing out there yesterday. :rolleyes:

9. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

You're not really that stupid are you? Sorry for the attack, but damn are you serious? The Pats played Brady until the last drive and they lost Welker. I guess it was really half-assed. Thats a whole hell of a lot different than what the colts and bengals did. The jets were handed not one, but two games.

I also believe like many that we did it to ourselves, but the way we lost out is very much bogus. Nothing to do with hypocrisy.

Its pretty funny that you're trying to make the argument.

10. Vinsanity

You can honestly say with a straight face that the Patriots gave it their all on Sunday? Even when they had a chance to drive and tie the game, they kept TOM BRADY on the bench? And they used Fred Taylor as their feature back? Come on man. Give me a break.

I'm as much of a Texans fan here as anyone but I won't let that cloud my rational judgement and try to tell someone that the Pats gave it their all on Sunday.

11. BucMan55

Fred Taylor was the best option they had at RB. The other 2 backs were hurt. And like I said, you can attack the decision to not play Brady the last series. But thats a FAR cry from playing a half-assed game last night, or pulling the plug when your offense has looked like crap after a series or two in the 3rd quarter.

12. Vinsanity

Either a team gives their FULL effor to win or they don't. The bengals didn't, the colts didn't, and the pats didn't. They did not play Brady the whole game. They took him out and put him back in shortly and then took him out at the most crucial moment of the game. Fred Taylor was the feature back and Five starters, including leading rusher Laurence Maroney(notes), were inactive for the AFC East champion Patriots

If the Texans were handed two games the same way the Jets were, then you wouldn't be in here complaining about it would you? That defines hypocricy.

13. Vinsanity

In hind sight the Pats should not have played any of their starters and they'd still have Welker.

So I have a question for you. IF the Pats had sat ALL of their starters and the Texans won 30-0, would you be in here complaing about it the same way you are about the Bengals? Yes or No.

14. BucMan55

Heck, I was complaining that Brady didn't come out for the last drive because I didn't want anything to take away from our win. IMO thats the only thing that told me the Pats werent trying hard, and it was one series. Resting players who need to get better from injuries is NOT the same thing as having healthy starters sitting over there on the bench for the whole game or playing a vanilla gameplan with a half-assed effort on top of it.

15. Vinsanity

Well, tell me this. If the Pats had rested every single starter and rolled over and died the way the Bengals did, then you would be in here complaining about how much you hate Bellichick/Brady and how the Integrity of the League is in jeopardy?

If that's true then you win this arguement and I am wrong. Otherwise, I'm making a very very valid argument here.

16. BucMan55

Even if this scenario were true, it doesnt change the fact that the Jets were handed a game in week 16. The only way to make our situation comparable to why some have some ire for the Colts is if we were to have benefitted and got into the play-offs as a 7-7 team who had the last two games of the season handed to them.

Taken as single entities, neither situation for the Jets is all that bad. Especially not the Bengals last night. I also guarantee you a 14-1 Colts team that lost in week 3 resting starters in week 17 doesn't get nearly the same ire as a 14-0 team does resting starters in week 16. Add them up though, and its like a perfect storm of bull**** that the other teams fighting to get into the post-season get to eat while the Jets get to play another game. Bottom line, a team got into the play-offs while being given 22% of their wins in the last 2 weeks of the season while most every other team is fighting their butts off.

The Texans have a right to be upset. But so do the Steelers. Those two teams earned their 9-7 records.

17. Kate81

Kate81 Member

None.

They're a great team, great teams do what they want.

18. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

The only reason they benched Brady for the final drive was b/c of the Texans play and the pressure they put on Brady.

Also the reason they kept Brady in the game was b/c of the Texans play and the thought that they could win the game.

1 person likes this.
  19. Nero

Nero Member

THIS.

Bottom line, if the Colts played to win every game, they probably would have beaten the Jets, and we would be in the playoffs right now.

Now it was their prerogative to not play to win since they had such a commanding lead in the standings and had home-field locked up, can't blame them for that, especially after seeing Welker blow his knee on a freak accident.

HOWEVER, as said above, Karma can be a b****, and when you tempt the football gods by not playing to win, then you better be prepared to accept every bad call, bad bounce, bad luck and bad karma which comes your way in the playoffs, most likely in the form of the Chargers, yet again.

In any case, like I said, it's their prerogative, but it bought them more than rest - it bought them plenty of bad karma and bad blood, not only from Texans fans but from their own fans.

This definitely should spice up this rivalry now into the 'bad blood' level, and hopefully the Texans are on the upswing while the Colts ought to be at their apogee and we should be heading in opposite directions in the not-too-distant future, and maybe we can repay them in kind some day.

Would have been better for them to play to win every game, inmho.

Even if the result would have been to get our heads handed to us in San Diego or something, at least we would have had our names in the hat.

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Manning sure looked like he wanted to play, so I have no animus towards him. The Colts are paper tigers, anyway. They are not going to the Super Bowl.