1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What stuff do you want to know about the Astros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Cat, Apr 20, 2007.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to actually reveal what I'm going to be doing, but that'll be clear in a few weeks anyway. In any event, though, I am curious what fans want to know about the Astros and baseball in general. I'm sure most of you read the local media, so what kinds of things would you like to read? A few ideas I have:

-- What's the role of the #2 hitter in 2007? Some people have the idea that it's a speedy, low strikeout player with a decent average, while others say that's archaic and outdated. Some say the importance is simply OBP, while others argue that it's where your best hitter should be placed. What do people in the game think? Also, how do players approach hitting in this slot - is it any different?

-- How important is "protection" in a lineup? Clearly, Lance Berkman had what's likely to be one of his career-best seasons last year, when the #4 spot was a revolving door and the #2 spot was often either Biggio or Taveras, both with .333 and under OBPs. OTOH, Adam Everett has consistently had his best production in the #2 spot, when he's likely to see a steadier diet of fastballs to avoid walking him in front of Berkman. What kind of importance does it have; what kind of impact does it have on pitches thrown; and is said protection greater for the player in front or the player behind Lance Berkman (or a player like him?)

-- Is starting or relieving worse for a pitcher's long-term arm strain and usage? Clearly, some players have moved to the bullpen after long struggles with injuries as a starter and excelled (Smoltz, Lidge, though I know it's not true for either in 2007). OTOH, others like Fernando Nieve and what the Red Sox planned for Jonathan Papelbon move to the rotation, figuring that the strain of starting (even though it means more innings) is less than the strain of sometimes daily use and reuse out of the bullpen. Is there a general consensus among baseball folks and medical people as to which is more strenuous and potentially dangerous?

Do you guys think those are stories worth pursuing? Those are a sample of some things I've been thinking about tracking down. I'm also interested in doing profiles on players, particularly minor leaguers, to spotlight their background and development. Whatever suggestions you guys have, post them here... I'd love to hear them and look into getting it done.

So... ideas? things you're curious about? It doesn't necessarily have to be the Astros; it can be baseball in general. I'm just trying to get a feel for what Astros fans want to read about.

2. msn

msn Member

What metrics do your scouts use when evaluating players, both defensively and offensively? If there are metrics they don't want to mention, are they willing to say, "we have some metrics that we keep close to the vest"?

What nonquantifiable but specifically observable things do scouts watch for when evaluating players, both defensively and offensively?

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Why do we have to take out a second loan on our house to get drunk at a game?

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I heard once on Mike and Mike that the Astros are suffering under the curse of the Doobie Brothers. Has anyone else heard that? Where did it come from?

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How did El Caballo get his name? I must know.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Why isn't J.R. Richard's number retired?

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

can i play 2B some this year?

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

pre or post michael mcdonald?

9. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

He was given his nickname by White Sox television announcer Hawk Harrelson. When he played for the Brewers, there was a sign in the left field corner that read "El Caballo's Corner."

10. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Becasue he tried to sue the Astros for mis-diagnoising his stroke. He's back in the organization for PR stuff, but that's about it. It's like even with a new owner, the Astros still feel they need to let him know they didn't appreciate the law suit.

11. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

No, but keep practicing.

12. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

To pay for Carlos Lee, Lance Berkman, Roy Oswalt and Craig Biggio. Hey, look at it like this. Would you rather pay high $ to drink beer and watch a team that's going to compete year in and year out? Or would you rather have cheap beer and watch a team like the Pirates play?

13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Any other questions? I cover the Astros on a daily basis and I was born with an Astros media guide in my mouth. True story!

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

why are there no Asian Brothers on the team?

We're the freaking Utah Jazz.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But why that name?

Is it the same reason that Randy Johnson is "The Unit?"

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Why is Lidge still on the team?

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to know what Hunter Pence eats for breakfast EVERY MORNING

18. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

He is Garner's ghey lover........

not that theres anything wrong with that

19. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

There is: CARLOS LEE! He's dad is Chinese. Hence the last name, Lee. That's something all baseball teams will be looking into. It's the new Latin America. With Ichiro, Matsui and Dice K doing well, MLB teams will be looking to tap that new resource.

20. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

yes, he has a caballo unit.