1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What phone would you upgrade to LG G2 or Galaxy S4?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Feb 2, 2014.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I don't know how you feel about the size, but I just upgraded from a HTC One to a Galaxy Note 3, and it is unquestionably the best phone I've ever owned. My wife has had her's for a couple months and been in complete love with it. This thing has single-handedly made my Nexus 7, and all other cell phones I've had obsolete. It makes me want to not even bother sitting down at my PC to use the internet. I miss the speakers on the HTC One, but I'd say really that's it. (Those speakers are incredible I might add) It was completely worth the trade off though. As to the person mentioning build quality; while I did love the build quality of the HTC One, I am enjoying the note regardless. The back is plastic, but I can't tell at all -- my fingers keep telling me it's some form of leather. It's a really beautiful phone to look at as well. As far as speed it isn't even close, I don't think there is another phone out right now that can hang with the Note 3's 3GB of ram. I installed all of my apps while configuring the phone, running antivirus software set to scan, and browsing the web / generally configuring the phone without a single hiccup. I don't think you can go wrong.

#21 seclusion, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

because of work, i'm one of those that will have to carry 2 phones around (groan). i'm already using the nexus 4, will get the nexus 5.
    also planning on getting the moto g that will take 2 sim cards. for the time where i cant carry 2 phones (offshore rigs).

i love the nexus price. memory card and removable battery has never been important for me. i use the nova launcher but might try out the google launcher on the nexus 5 when i get it.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

How is this phone? I'm thinking of switching to T-Mobile for it. I do a lot of travelling and kayaking, so this phone makes perfect sense for me. Especially because I want a phone with a nice camera and good specs.

I have an Evo 4g LTE right now. Not many problems with it. Sprint's network just sucks where I am.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Nexus 5 with kitkat. 2 gigs of RAM is more than enough with 4.4 especially with the much smaller memory footprint 4.4 uses. The Note 3 uses touchwiz which is a memory hog. I would say the Nexus 5 is better at multitasking mostly because of software. Though a note 3 with AOSP 4.4 would also be amazing.

6. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

LG G2 more than the Nexus 5 for one thing only: battery life.

I've owned the Nexus 5, and while it is a fast and nice phone, the battery life killed it for me. I owned a Note 2 prior to it and was disappointed with the small battery and short life with the same usage I did on my Note 2.

Sold it, got a Note 3 instead. Getting around 4-4.5 hours SoT compared to 2-2.5 hours SoT with my Nexus 5.

Skip the S4 and HTC One. Snapdragon 800 is where it's at for today's devices.

7. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

My sister owns the LG G2 by the way. One thing I gotta say though is the UI is ugly as hell. I have CM11 on my Note 3 so say what you want. :)

8. BonziWellsGOAT

I've had the S4 since last August and I love it....but I would say wait for the S5 or get a Note 2

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Xperia Z1s or Moto X

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was hoping to see if you'd pop in here. Have you messed with the Z1s? What are your thoughts? Is it worth switching to TMobile for?

11. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

upgraded from the htc g1 to the lg g2x a couple of years ago. they didn't do ota updates which isn't that big of a deal, but then they stopped updates after 2.3 also

anyone know if it's common practice for LG to quit supporting a phone so soon after the release?

for that reason, i had my wife go with the s4 and she loves it.

12. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I jumped from the s2 to the s4. Love it.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Touchwiz can be removed. And most users like it (I don't). Built quality is ****, I agree - the HTC One and iPhone have premium builds. Sense is great now? Sense vs Touchwiz is a highly subjective topic. Personally I hate both but agree that Sense wins out.

The HTC One is outdated compared to what the S4 or Note 3 are offering.

14. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I think the HTC One is better than the S4, but admittedly they are pretty close.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

How much in price should the S4 drop when the S5 is introduced onto the market?

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Didn't see this. I agree. It's the only phone I've had that has me shying away from the laptop. And it has completely killed my tablet usage. I haven't touched my tablet in months. Note 3 is the future.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Oh... Here we go. Really? Samsung is charging a premium price for plastic. Cheap fealing plastic. The HTC One (which I have) feels like a premium phone. It also has a much better OS skin than both of those phones. Apple did everyone a favor by forcing every phone manufacturer to improve their build quality. Just because it is in a case, doesn't mean you want plastic. Just check out the resale value. Samsung and LG phones have crap value.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

HTC One is still rated a better phone than both those Samsung phones. Sense runs smoother than touchwiz.... Im running a custom rom Venom that adds on to Sense and makes it even better.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Note 3 is not the future. If I want to use something that big, I'll use my iPad. The new version of the HTC One should be out in the spring. If you want to wait.

20. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I have a Hisense Sero 7 Pro and a Dell Venue 8 Pro next to my Note 3...

Yeah, Note 3 seems like an iPhone next to those things.