1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What makes your heart happy? Yao number retired or McGrady playing with the Spurs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 11, 2013.

?

What makes your heart happy?

1. Yao getting his number retired for the only NBA he played for

164 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. McGrady possibly winning a ring after a career of first round playoff exits

47 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

One of the three items doesn't belong.

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

The reason Yao's # is being retired is the same reason Petrovic had his number retired: Their impact on the game was much more then what they did on the court. They opened up a gateway to Asia and Europe; as well as elevating the popularity of the NBA in their respective nations/geographical areas.

3. conquistador#11

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Both didn't give us another trophy or parade. So both fail and I could honestly give a crap.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I'm lukewarm about both, if not indifferent.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Loved them both. Glad that era of failure is over. Both of them breaking our hearts with their glass bodies.

7. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised TMac Only Hater thread.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I have confirmed with multiple sources the root of tinman's passive aggressive hatred/obsession with non other than Tracy Mcgrady.

It all stims back to a steamy summer afternoon back in 2008. T-Mac did something to tinman that day. Something very naughty. Tinman has not been able to forgive Tracy or himself for what happened between them. And he never will.

Damn shame, actually.

9. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Neither.

Like others have said, Yao was very good for us in those short 7 years. But they weren't mesmerizing like what Malone & Hakeem did. Rudy & Calvin did other things for the team and community, so I had no problem with retiring their jerseys. Side note, I disagree with Clyde's jersey being retired. Even Rodman didn't get his # retired by the Bulls and he helped them win 3.

Never really liked TMac ever since he wanted to be his own man when he was with Vince in Toronto. However, I don't have a problem with him getting a ring either because there are a lot of other players that deserve it even less. Everyone knows if the Spur wins, it isn't because of them adding TMac.

Can't agree with this. Calvin & Moses never gave us a trophy, but they have a warm place in our hearts.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Petrovic also died tragically in the middle of his playing career. A lot of players have their numbers retired when that happens(Reggie Lewis).

I just feel that if a franchise is going to retire a player's jersey, it should be because of what the player accomplished for that team. Off the court exposure is well and good, but let the NBA put some plaque or display in the Basketball Hall of Fame if that's so damn important. Yao Ming did not achieve anywhere near enough on the basketball court to warrant retiring his #11 for all time.

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I have no respect for the people who voted for Mclady.

12. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Y is everyone made at the Tracy McGrady comment? it was directed to Atlanta, the last few years he was with NYK and ATL. The person who asked the question was refering to ATL.

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I don't really care what happens to Tmac.

As far as Yao goes, I'm kind of unhappy they are retiring his number. I can't imagine what he did to deserve it. They retired Drexler's jersey, though, and he doesn't deserve it either.

14. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I love Yao and would love to see his number retired as a contributor to the league. Opening the NBA to a greater audience will get him in the Hall of Fame alone. But as a player then no. His injuries kept him from every doing anything.

T-Mac was awesome to watch. I became a fan cause of Battier but I stayed because of watching T-Mac and Yao. I hope he gets a ring.

15. JMG524

JMG524 Member

Although Yao didn't win any Championships in Houston, its ridiculous how can anyone downplay his contributions to the team. The guy worked/played his butt off when he was here until his body completely broke down on him. He was the consummate professional and the face of the franchise all over the world, making the Rockets a global brand. On the court, he was the 6th all time rockets leader in scoring and rebounds and 2nd all time in blocks. if it weren't for Yao, the Rockets would've been stuck at the bottom of the Western conference all those years. His presence in the paint made this team one of the toughest teams to score on not to mention the fact his low post game was a problem for opposing teams so much so that it would almost be mandatory for them to commit two players to stopping Yao every game.

1 person likes this.
  16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I agree with everything you said! Even when he was injured he
    always gave his 100%, to bad his body gave out on him!...:(

17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

C) tinman finally getting therapy after Mcgrady gets his ring.

18. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Indifferent on both?

19. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Well...you are just plain wrong on this issue. Yao absolutely deserves to have his jersey hanging in the rafters. I knew they would retire his jersey the second he retired, and deservedly so.

20. dragonz

dragonz Member

how many rounds did TMac's championship ring has?