1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What line-up/strategy should the Rockets experiment with?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kevC, Mar 21, 2017.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Rockets are in a rare position where we are virtually locked into the 3rd seed with 11 games left. I think with a few more wins, Rockets should really take advantage of this situation and use the rest of the season to experiment/tinker for the post season. What would you like to see them try to in this "pre-season" of sorts to the playoffs?

Personally I'd like:
    1) Play the young guys. I'd love to see Wiltjer and Onuaku get some burn to see what we have in them and see if they could possibly help in spots in the playoffs.
    2) F with the Warriors. I think it's a tremendous luxury to be able to play the Warriors twice this late with everything locked up. I'd like for them to experiment with some crazy stuff (4 guard line ups?) against them and see what works. I'd also be okay with going vanilla and not show our hand.
    3) Harden stat-pad-a-palooza. If the media is going to be so enamored with Westbrook's stats, let's give them some cray stuff.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's not much to experiment. It's the end of the year you use these games to get guys in a rhythm and solidify a flow going into the playoffs. Lou obviously could use some more time as well as others adjusting to playing with him. Guys who might be slumping need their confidence back up.

You play the young guys probably once everything is locked up just because. But I don't much reason to play them otherwise unless it's down to the final games of the year that absolutely dont matter. They won't be seeing time in the playoffs.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Rockets pretty much have the 3rd seed wrapped up. They are up six games in the loss column over the Jazz, and the Jazz have a tough schedule. Also, some of the young guys could play in the playoffs. Sometimes things happen and a young player is called on to play. I remember Troy Daniels and Capela being called on to play in the playoffs after playing very little in the regular season. It Happens. It wouldn't hurt to have Wiltjer and Onuaku start seeing some minutes.

kevC likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

our depth was horrible at that time and they were desperate. i don't expect any of the young players to play at all. It won't get into the likes of Wiltjer etc unless it's a complete blowout

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Williams
    Gordon
    Williams
    Dekker
    Capela

Harden
    Williams
    Williams
    Anderson
    Harrell

Bev
    Gordon
    T. Williams
    Wiltjr
    Nene

#5 DonKnock, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'd kind of like to see if Nene & Capela can play together. But I'd be shocked if it happened.

YallMean likes this.
  7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Put in Nene and Clint at the same time, and slide Anderson to 3. Move Ariza to two and Harden mans one. That's our "big" lineup. Let Harden PnR with any one of the other four. PnR the heck out of every play.

ooooaaaah!, da_juice and dharocks like this.
  8. bongman

bongman Member

Make our defensive rotations tighter. If there is any aspect of our game that requires the most improvement, it's defense.

heypartner likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Bev/James/Dekker/Harrell/Clint

Lou/Eric/trev/Ryan /nene

Give Dekker and Harrell starter mins to rest Ryan and trev for a game

Then another game , I agree play all the young guys .

But for sure the last game or two beige the playoffs , play the normal rotation so they stay in rhythm

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Give harrell some big boy minutes! I love his motor and hustle and believe he can be an X factor for us... His minutes have been so sporadic it's hard to get a feel for where he is at... His shooting hasn't been great... but maybe with some longer minutes he can get into more of a groove...

Vivi likes this.
  11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think they should try shooting a 100 3s in a game. As soon as they get the rebound throw the ball to a 3 point shooter and shoot the ball. Maybe a lineup of harden, gordon, williams, anderson, and ariza or bev. No 2s allowed.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Bev / Lou / EG / Harden / Anderson

Sacrifice points in the paint and rebounds in the name of the almighty three pointer.

PyroTex likes this.
  13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Bobby Brown
    Samuel Dekker
    Troy Williams
    Kyle Witljer
    Chinauanau Onauanuanaunaku

6th man:
    Chow Key

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think we have great depth at SF or PF. If Anderson or Ariza goes down then we end up playing a bunch of guards. We definitely could use another big that can shoot the three. It seems foolish not to get Wiltjer some minutes with our rotation players before the end of the season.

15. txn

txn Member

Harden / Gordon / Ariza / Harrell / Nene. See if we can play the Harrell at the 4th. This is obviously not MDA's basketball though :)

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really concerned with the rest of the season so long as they maintain their team and rhythm. If Wiltjer plays to spell some rest just because thats fine. I'm speaking in terms of going into playoffs which is more important. Experimenting with something new at the 70+ game mark just doesn't do anything

17. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

Harden\ Bev \ Lou \ Nene & Capela could have potential

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Isaiah Taylor
    Booby Brown
    Trayvon Williams
    Kyle Wiltjer
    Nanuoaku

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

the J A M E S lineup

J ames
    A riza
    M ontrezl
    E ric
    S am

The C L I N T lineup

C lint
    L ou
    I saiah
    N ene
    T revor

Pen15clubber likes this.
  20. StrawberryJamm

I want to see that lineup we use to start the 2nd quarter
    Beverly
    Williams
    Gordon
    Dekker
    Capella

But with Harden in Dekkers spot at the 4.