1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What kind of player was Maurice Taylor?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Liberon, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Do you all recollect? I'm serious when I say this, some older casual Rockets fan think Chuck Hayes and Maurice Taylor are the same person. I just talked to one today and he's like when did Maurice Hayes leave the team.. This guy is 63 yrs old and been watching the Rockets since like the early 2000s. It's funny because they don't have a similar game but are out there to fill the same roles.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A guy who would rather eat than play.

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Lazy and overpaid.

4. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he wasn't shooting, he was hurting the team. Very one dimensional player.

5. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

maurice taylor almost 7 feet and cant even grab 10 rebounds.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

boy could he smoke trees

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Soft as Charmin and for every one decent game would have 5 bad ones.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was a better player as a Rocket

sincerely,

[​IMG]

I always thought they should have kept Thomas and Traded Taylor
    Who knew SacTown would give him **that* Contract?
    KT was the Original Landry.
    Landry is KT 2.0 *grin*

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  9. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

my friends would call him the 1st quarter killer....he would hit his jumpers in the 1st and then disappear

10. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

did i mentioned that maurice taylor couldn't rebound for ****? scratch not getting 10 rebounds. taylor could barely grab 8 boards, let alone 10, even when he started. :mad:

11. Mr Chuck Norris

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He was a poor defender, played below the rim, and didn't have much in terms of back to the basket game. Wasn't all that active as a Rocket, not much hustle in him. As a Clipper he was a handful, a crafty scorer.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Maurice Taylor was almost exactly like Landry without the toughness. No defense, no rebounding, but could ISO almost anyone on the block. He had some of the most polished post moves I have ever seen. His hook shot was almost unstoppable.

14. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

maurice taylor use to buy dro from my big brothers friend. alot of it.

he even gave him a pair of steve francis sneakers once. i dont know if steve gave them to moe or he took them...anyhow..cool story bro. :cool:

15. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was awful. Funny because he looked so good. Big tall guy with a rock solid build. Had a nice J. Besides that, he could not do anything. Couldn't rebound or play defense, but worse he could do the low skill jobs like box out or even set a pick. I remenber when JVG took over they were all laughing because coach stopped a practice and physically moved Taylor's feet so they were pointing in the right direction.

16. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

Yeah I remember the unstoppable hook shot. He needed to be more of a banger in the paint but wasn't. The year we went to the playoffs with the Francis/Cat/Yao trio, he was our 6th man. He was more a Juwan Howard type.

17. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

The dude always seemed to show flashes but could never play well for any extended period of time. He was talented on offense but I agree that he was far below average on the boards and on D.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they are the exact opposite of each other.

they had the exact opposite roles.

if you want to remember mo taylor, look at chuck and imagine the exact opposite of him in every way.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I see him around at little league baseball games quite a bit. I guess he still calls Houston home.

20. DJ

DJ Member

Mo Taylor was a very good low post scorer and had a good face-up game for a power forward. His offensive moves were very well-polished, especially in the first quarter. I remembered Mo used to score like 12 of his 15 points in the first quarter of many games that he played in. He was not bad as people on the board has been saying. After his injury, he lost some explosiveness, but was still a solid player before 2005. After that his career went downhill.

For all of the offensive talent that he had with the Clippers and the first year with Houston, he struggled on the defensive and rebounding part of the game. He was a very poor rebounder for a power forward. I remembered in many games he would pull down only 2 rebounds despite playing 36 minutes. In the Clutch recaps, Clutch used to make special mention of when Mo would grab at least 8 rebounds (much like when Shandon would get 12+ shot attempts in the Cat-Steve era). The guards used to get more rebounds!

As for the comparison to Chuck Hayes, Mo is nothing like the Wagon Wheel. Mo was a strong offensive player with a variety of moves, very athletic (prior to achilles tear), but he was also a very poor defender/rebounder (as aforementioned) and was lazy at times. On the other hand, Chuck is known more for his defense, basketball iq, and ability to play against bigger players and he did not have half the moves that Mo had offensively. Mo's career went downhill as he got older. He got lazier and out-of-shape. On the other hand, Chuck has maintained his shape and prides himself on hard work to add more parts to his game, i.e offensive moves.

1 person likes this.