1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What in the world is Daryl Morey doing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KillaBlackMamba, Feb 20, 2008.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Why do people give Morey credit for Brooks when he was a 100% Adelman pick?

2. slick

slick Member

Hmm,

Let me see. We have won nine games in a row. We are winning games even with our superstars not playing well. Our draft picks look great. Scola was an absolute steal and is only getting better. And we have to do something? :confused:

The only thing we need to do is keep winning. :) Agging superstars doesn't translate to championships. Remember what Pippen and Barkley did for the Rockets? The best part is the many top teams teams in the west have mortgaged their futures for a one or two year run, which bodes well for the Rocks in the coming years. Either way, Morey is building young talent, a bench, and most important: chemistry; which will trump overpriced, over-the-hill superstars any day.

3. zforrest

zforrest Member

Just because no trade has happened does NOT mean that Morey has been doing nothing. Seriously, with the roster and contracts we have, trading is pretty hard to do. Your criticism is unfounded.

4. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

JVG said he didn't have much input on the draft. I don't see any reason Adelman would have more. What proof do you have that he was an Adelman pick? I remember Adelman raving about Brooks after we drafted him, but that doesn't mean Brooks was picked by Adelman.

Anyhow, I'll be glad to stop giving Morey credit for that pick as soon as you provide evidence that it was Adelman who picked him.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

AB is not some well-hidden secret talent only Adelman could spot and want. The SAC report now say they considered getting him at the 10th pick, and there were other reports regarding other teams (PHX and one more-- maybe SAC) thinking about picking him between 26th and 30th-- and that's why Rockets picked AB (instead of a PF) with the 26th pick. They got the PF with the 31pick later.

Adelman probably had some input-- maybe more than JVG typically has, maybe the same-- but it doesn't sound like he had to be there champinioning AB over everyone else's objection. The Rockets, and probably multiple other teams, knew he was a good pick.

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Spurs got Thomas! We need him too! This is unforgiven!

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

So we're taking what VG said as gospel? Yes? Because VG also said the Battier for Gay trade was 100% Morey. Is that what you are willing to accept? Battier is 100% Morey...not CD...not VG...not Les....can I take that to the bank?

BTW...Adelman saw him first...long before Morey....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4934088.html

Not much of a stretch for Adelman's opinion even though the scouts may not have been impressed...

"Brooks was surprised the Rockets picked him -- he didn't think his workout in Houston went well."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=2920456

9. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

From Morey's radio interviews, he says he's working hard on a possible trade, but is looking for the right deal.

He grabbed Scola at the last minute. I expect he'll do the same this time for either Mike Miller, Ron Artest, Andre Miller, Kurt Thomas, Sam Cassell, or some combination.

He said today on the radio that he didn't think this team was good enough, so he's looking for the right deal. It sounds like he's working every angle he can, without mortgaging our future.

... but, he's not going to be desperate, and do a stupid deal that hurts us, or that undermines our future.

I like his approach, and look forward to tomorrow. And, if he doesn't do a deal, I believe there wasn't a deal that made us any better than we are right now.

10. poprocks

poprocks Member

So Rockets stand pat. No Trade and Artest stays with the Kings. Good.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's funny, coming from a guy who confidently called it a "$Ball" pick after the draft.

The Rockets have said that they've been following Brooks for a while. There's no evidence whatsoever that Morey did not like him. The Rockets knew that there was strong interest in him from Phoenix later in the first round. And Brooks filled a need that everyone within the organization recognized needed to be filled -- more quickness / speed at the PG position.

Just because Adelman lives in Portland and followed Brooks at the University of Oregon, that does not mean he was the one insisting that the Rockets make that pick. But I guess that's how it has to be, because of course Morey can do no right.

12. poprocks

poprocks Member

We have one day for the trade deadline. Wait - Morey will pull a rabbit out of his hat.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Calling it gospel may be going a bit overboard, but I don't see any reason to think Van Gundy would lie either. I'm also willing to accept that Morey had a large hand in the Battier for Gay trade, but I still don't consider that the mistake that most folks around here seem to.

I don't think that's very conclusive proof. It seems to me that I want to give Morey credit for the pick because it's his job to pick players in the draft, while you want to give credit to Adelman for whatever reason. When it comes down to it, neither of us has any actual proof to support our belief - but that being the case, I'll go with the GM since picking players is part of his job description.

14. ssp0929

ssp0929 Member

If we traded away anybody we'd lose our team chemistry. And no, we weren't playing against mediocre teams. We're on fire, and if we get a trade in now, we won't be. We're fine for now.

15. caneks

caneks Rookie

I guess you know that a trade involves two teams.

16. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

there is a reason you only have 10 posts..

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I just don't see Morey telling Adelman and Les that he has his eye on a particular guy and then doing a 180 on that just because the new coach likes a midget PG.

Morey: "Well, I've got my eye on X player. I think he will fit right in based on my months of scouting, hours of watching film and interviewing him and his family"

Adelman: "Darryl, I watched that Brooks kid play while I was retired last year. He is really good. Pick him instead"

Morey: "Sure. Why not. Money ball Schmoney ball. Let's get that Rooks kid you like so much"

Adelman: "Uuuh it's Brooks."

Morey: "Whatever. He's a Rocket now, Rick. You da man"

18. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

On one hand, he's been arguing that Morey is wedded to his stats. On the other hand, Morey apparently dropped all of his analysis and just chose Adelman's guy ("100% Adelman pick"). Is it just me, or is there a contradiction there?

Either Morey supported the pick using his "$ball" methods, or he was flexible enough to defer to Adelman on an important draft pick. Or, hey, how's this for a concept: Morey took into account what the numbers showed (like any NBA team would), but also weighed in the input from his scouts and coach. It doesn't have to be either or, and it rarely is.

20. KillaBlackMamba

I was not trying to start or stir anything, sorry for those who got offended...on another note

well spurs got thomas, meaning they aren't in the running for Artest anymore...making it likely for the Rockets to get him ;)

my money is still on denver