1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Lin's breakout game mean going forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

very well said. thank you.

2. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

This is me, yes.

If you were watching last year, I used to make the videos deliberately slower (when speaking) so as to help viewers who are not native English speakers such as yourself.

Now, I don't do that as much but I try to keep the pronunciation clear so that people can understand it who are not native English speakers.

I thought this was you, as well, pcheung, but I didn't want to be presumptuous.

I have given 'shout outs' to Clutch Fans before. I've been here since like 1996 when it was Clutch City. Clutch is THE man and its amazing to see what the site has become.

I've been a Rockets fan since Hakeem in 1984.

3. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

cool...I am Chinese so you get the rest.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Interesting you mention cherry picking stats. My question is why you set the number of minutes at 45?

5. Jedster

Jedster Member

Awww...don't be like that. Now that you've smartened up, you're a beautiful, beautiful person...and can be mentioned in the same breath as Tony Parker.

6. torocan

torocan Member

I set it at 45 because Lin only played 42 and 39 minutes. I felt setting the filter at 42 would have been too restrictive, and if you open the filter to beyond 45 minutes, it opens the comparison to extreme games like double and triple overtime games.

I suppose I could have used 48 minutes, but it didn't really occur to me when I was pulling it up. I mainly wanted a reasonable basis of comparison.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Here is the same query at all positions, at all ages:

http://bkref.com/tiny/8xqqA

619 occurences.

This isn't something amazing that has happened.

8. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Shouldn't the query be set lower? Like say 35 pts and 6 asts? I played too much Diablo 3 auction house and when you set things at exactly the stats you're looking for, you miss out on a lot of similar or better performances.

9. Lihao

Lihao Member

yeah right,because young players never improve ,so the age doesn't mean anything, and getting 38 point with 50+ min is no different to 42 min as well

10. Lihao

Lihao Member

i think you missed this

11. torocan

torocan Member

That's because many of those occurrences are multiple times by the SAME players. Out of 619 occurences, those happen over 125 players. MOST of them were accomplished by a SMALL subset of those players.

Michael Jordan accomplished 38/7 or better 53 times if you exclude minutes from the equation. Lebron James 38 times. Allen Iverson 50 times. Kobe Bryant 28 times. Larry Bird 24 times.

Just those 5 players account for 141/613 of those occurrences.

63 SEPARATE players that have done it TWICE or more other than Lin allowing for ALL positions and ALL ages with Unlimited minutes. That's over their ENTIRE careers.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=player

And if you limit it to players between the ages of 18 and 24 with Unlimited minutes, the entire list of players who have done it twice is STILL only 20 players across ALL positions.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=player

Arguing 613 individual games shows that it is not amazingly rare given how MOST of them are done by a handful of players is very poor attempt to discredit how unusual his performance between the Lakers and Spurs games actually are.

1 person likes this.
  12. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Oh I see.

13. Lihao

Lihao Member

ouch typical ass whooping from Torocan again :rolleyes:

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

How many players have dropped 38 & 7 twice with 45 NBA starts (or less) under their belt? Like you don't fluke away 38 & 7 twice. People like to discredit his Laker performance saying that he wasn't scouted, Lakers are a bad road team, it was a back to back, he did it against Derick Fisher etc.

People on twitter were actually like Lin would never be able to drop 38 again prior to this game. Well he did against the Spurs & Tony Parker, was definitely scouted. Lin has a very high ceiling it isn't often that a player that is undrafted drops 38 & 7 twice with less than a full NBA season as a starter under there belt against elite western conference teams. He is young, he is inconsistent & still has a long way to improve but the talent is definitely there.

I am curious how many players have dropped 38 & 7 twice with 45 NBA starts (or less) under their belt? I don't care about minutes played or positions.

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It means very little until he consistently plays well with other star caliber players. If Jeremy Lin is only good when he gets to dominate the ball then he would be better used coming off the bench.

16. pnr

pnr Member

I would rather he play his natural position, so if it means coming off the bench, I'm cool with it. Better than relegating him to be a spot up 3 point shooter in the starting line-up.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I agree and its no insult to him to have him come off the bench. Manu did it for years and nobody doubted his talent.

18. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Does anyone remember when he almost had a triple double in the SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON?

His ceiling could be that of Goran Dragic level (I think he has a ways to go). That's very good. In case you were wondering, I AM stoned, but I don't think it really matters.

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Did we settle on "nothing at all" as the answer to the question posed in the thread title?

*checks very first response*

Sure did. Well done.

20. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Man, stop trying to sound smart by playing devil's advocate. Torocan obviously got you on lock. Reminds me of the quote Dikembe had about Eddy Curry pathetically trying to score on Yao repeatedly.