1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the best careers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheke64, Jan 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. platypus

platypus Member

I did chemical, go that route if you can grind and have a strong foundation in chemistry, physics and math (mostly calculus and ODE's).

Petroleum engineering is restrictive, a Chem E can do most everything a Petroleum can do (sans drilling unless you take some minor courses) while a Petroleum won't be able to perform some Jobs Chem E's can do (mainly work in chemical plants doing process and design work)

And as far as Computer, I agree with pouhe, if you go that route go Electrical. You have a better chance of getting a job in Houston with an Electrical and can most certainly make some bucks in O&G

1 person likes this.
  2. NateNate

NateNate Member

What are the classes like for Process Technology? I'm not one for math or chemistry. I haven't had a chance to look into this career so I don't even know what it is they ACTUALLY do.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

A P-Tech is probably the only 2 year degree that will get you a career making just as much if not more (likely more) than a four year one. My biggest suggestion would be to look for a job in a plant or refinery while taking the courses. All of the schools in the area will bend over backwards to accommodate school schedule with the typical rotating shifts that you'd see in a plant.

Probably best to find a job loading/unloading chemicals, hydrocarbons, or crude into railcars or tank trucks or a job on the docks with a contractor in one of the major refineries in the area. They are usually stable, permanent positions that pay decent and offer benefits. A job like that alone is enough to net a position as an operator down the line. That type of work is where plant operators would start in the past before a lot of companies decided to outsource that work.

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Not many people can get a job with only the first exam

5. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Being from Houston and living there until graduating College, I was not very informed about federal government jobs. It wasn't until traveling and meeting two really cool US Diplomats at a bar in Colombia a few years later that I began to look into that type of career. I am now finishing up my first tour as a Foreign Service Officer in Mexico and really feel like I have found my calling. I am headed to the Philippines early next year and could not be more excited about my future.

It is not a job but rather a lifestyle. Although it will not pay as much as some private sector jobs, with all of the perks (first and foremost being that you are set up in really nice and posh living quarters and never pay rent) and the fact you get to truly immerse yourself in different cultures, it is one of the "richest" lifestyles I can imagine. The experiences you live, the people you meet and the memories you create, will definitely mold you into one of the most interesting people at any cocktail party.

That being said it definitely isn't for everyone, but if you are daring enough to live a life that will take you off the beaten path and if you genuinely love your country and want to share that experience with the world, I cannot think of many careers that could top this one.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Oil and gas been extremely good to me for the past 15 years. It is a fun gig, with constant evolution.

side note to Rox_fan_here:

My Dad was an Ambassador, and while his house was paid for, he paid for a lot of stuff out of pocket. He did not really save a lot of money during the run...in fact he seemed sorta short on cash most of the time when he came back to US to visit.

However, he really enjoyed giving back to the country and helping the area where he was stationed. It was an exciting lifestyle, and it made him great connections for getting a gig when he entered the private sector again. Now he's a consultant and enjoying it.

7. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

That's really interesting to know. It's true that many officers, especially those higher up in the ranks will pay for a lot of things. Since I am very new to the career, I haven't had to face that yet. Also I know that modern diplomacy is always evolving. Now more than ever it is connecting with youth, and middle class and being very active in the growth and development of communities, rather than constantly hosting posh dinner parties with society's elite. Of course anytime you are talking about Ambassadors, forming strong connections with the rich and powerful in both public and private sectors is key. After all, they are the president's representative for that country. May I ask if he was a career Foreign Service Officer or political appointee?

I can only imagine the opportunities he had after his diplomatic career finished. On a side note, do you think growing up in that kind of lifestyle helped prepare you more or less for facing the world? Obviously, work life balance is one of the biggest knocks on the career because essentially, both areas merge. I only ask because my wife and I are thinking about having kids in the not too distant future and raising them in the Foreign Service is definitely something we are pondering.

8. yo

yo Contributing Member

Is anyone here in a policy research/big data/analytics arena? Curious for some insights.

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member