1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the best careers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheke64, Jan 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

For your process technology two year degree you take a chemistry and a physics class. I loved both of those. I had planned to finish my four year degree in physics after scoring a gig at a plant. My physics teacher was the head of the Texas City BP plant the last time it exploded, he had his masters in Physics and Chemistry... he was a blast (no pun intended).

2. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Yeah Process Technology. 2 year degree, 120k a year excellent benefits and not be stuck in a office all day.

3. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If nurses had to go through medical school...they'd be doctors, not nurses.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

On the Houston Chronicle they have a list of 10 jobs with a light schedule. Number 1 was pilot:

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Do flight attendants (which they lumped in with pilot) make anywhere near that $100k median or am I right to already dismiss this photo essay?

7. Svpernaut

Pilot is a great option, but it is a costly profession to get in to, but it is a fast turn-around.

My 19 year old brother went through flight school at ATP in Dallas and got his commercial pilot's license in about three months. Total cost, around $60k room and board.

The problem is, even though you are a licensed commercial pilot you don't have the 1500-2000 hours it takes to get a job flying commercially. An hour of flight in a turbine is usually at least $200, so you're looking at $300,000 just to get your required hours.

How do you get around that? You become an instructor. Schools like ATP hire their recently graduated students to be instructors for about $24,000 a year... but they get up to about 1000 hours of flight time in a year. So that 12 bucks an hour (usually includes room and board) pays off handily in flight time.

Flying pipelines is also a way pilots get hours. It doesn't pay well, but you make tens of thousands of dollars in flight hours. If you get your commercial license and flight instructor license, and then work as an instructor you can get a commercial pilot's gig for the cost of about $60,000 and two years of your time.

If you get a commercial flight job you have to work your way up, don't expect big money or glamorous flights and benefits overnight.

FYI, for those with a GI Bill you CAN use your GI bill towards some of the cost. My father re-upped his pilot's license at Ellington Field somehow using part of his GI Bill 2-3 years ago. San Jacinto college offers classes out there.

8. Svpernaut

Should just point out that includes overtime pay. You won't make six figures working 40 hours a week right of the gate... but most operator jobs have rolling overtime built in. Also, the plant you work at greatly affects your pay rate. Refineries pay more due to increased risk.

9. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

bartender at a gay bar

10. Svpernaut

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/elfuxK17aTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You have to go to school to be an interstellar smuggler? I didn't have to go to college to be a Blade Runner. Just fearless and a good shot with a pistol. Being attractive to android babes is just a bonus. They don't pay me for that.

12. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You got it! ;-D-

14. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Any engineers here? I'm currently studying Mechanical Engineering and I'm scared that I won't be able to get a job after I graduate even though I always hear that there are jobs.

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

don't be scurred just be a G

everything will be okay

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I have two options. Accountant at u of H downtown. Is that even a good campus? They transferred me from one gay Spanish person to another gay guy.

Or

Process technician at HCC northeast?

I'm shocked that there is no wait. I can just do it.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Care to elaborate. All I hear from indeed forums is that there are no jobs.

18. smr6

smr6 Member

One of the interns I work with is in the accounting program at U of H downtown. I can get more information from them tomorrow if you would like, and if you have any specific questions let me know and I can ask.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Job market, how hard it is :grin:, and that parking. Thanks man. Repped.

20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Engineer
    Engineer
    Engineer
    Engineer
    Accountant
    Engineer