1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

we should pursue blake griffin in 2017 free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigSquirm, Nov 10, 2016.

1. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

How about Zach Randolph? He is most more cheaper. Tweak Memphis inside and increase power and rebounds for rockets. Griffin is good, but too expensive if he wants top salary. We can move Sam Derrek to play small forward

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

No to Blake Griffin. I'm actually a huge fan of the guy, but since we lucked out on Harden and MDA and have a nice team going the Rox shouldnt have to settle for the first star player that becomes available. Griffin would definitely fit here, but a really big problem is his health, BG probably only a couple more years before his knees give out, a guy as solidly built as he is shouldnt be dunking so much yet he tries to lob city it up every play. Hes a ticking bomb I dont want the Rox to be holding on to him when he explodes.

The person I have my eye on is Davis, NO is a loser franchise and its only a matter of time before the losing gets to him. He even calls himself the Brow similar to how Harden markets his beard. Its a match made in heaven IMHO

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah thats what they said about harden and dwight before he came

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True. We had our share of injury prone players.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you can get him you get him, period.

Starting C...

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Would be great but Idk how it would work financially and on the court.

7. threepointshot3

Dwight is a selfish SOB who refused to play the pick and roll with Nash and he went full cancer mode here. Griffin has shown the willingness to play the pick and roll with Paul.

8. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

Do we have enough cap space to sign Gordon Hayward this summer? I'm sure he will get a max deal. He seems like a perfect fit alongside Harden.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Would love Davis here but there is no way he bolts with allnthe money waiting in New Orleans for him.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If a max player is willing to come, Morey will find a way. He has always been able to clear the space.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why would he leave Utah though? That's becoming elite with him, Gobert and Favors

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Would be super easy. I think we need to clear about $20m to get Hayward.

You try to sell them Ryno. Utah is not an FA destination so getting good players under contract is valuable to them.

If they say no, we move on to plan B which is to move $20m worth of contracts. Options:

1) Ryno and if necessary our first to a team with cap space.
    2) Gordon and Brewer to a team with cap space.
    3) Ariza, Brewer and Beverley.
    4) Gordon and Beverley might work too but seems unlikely give it would leave us without a SG.

Most likely, I see us moving Ryno because I think the Rockets would want to start Hayward at the 4 and it would be only one of our pieces going our rather than several. It also makes it possible for us to then try to snatch another excellent player using Ariza + Brewer + Dekker + early 2nd round pick.

I think this flexibility is what's keeping us from making a deal right now. That's a golden situation to be in this summer, if you're hurting the flexibility it better make a significant impact on our ability win long term.

13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Pursue Blake: let's not; but say we did.

14. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

He will have every team trying to get him. I think Houston has a great shot at landing him. I'm not sure if he is friends with Harden or not, but he would fit perfectly with James & Dantoni's system.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Doesnt answer my question though, at least Anthony Davis actually has a reason to switch teams (ie they suck and he's hitting his prime). Hayward wpuld definitely fit with the Rox but why will he do it when his team is decent, he is Utah's representative white player and his team will most probably give him the max?

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need to think out of the box. Davis, Blake, Hayward, even friggin Otto Porter are going to loooooong shots to bring to Houston. Scour D-League, foreign players & high risk FA's for up and coming talent that would fit THIS team's needs. 3-D wings, stretch 4s, uber athletic 5's, 3 point gawds at combo guard.

Gabe York to back up Beard & Splash
    Terry Rozier to back up Bev (rumored that Boston was dangling him as recently as last month in Dec)
    Wayne Selden to back up Ariza (or even JaKarr Sampson - lockdown defender w/similar length & game to young Ariza)
    Nerlens Noel to push Capela (Noel would take starter spot IMO, worth first round pick and/or players)
    CJ Leslie to push Brewer (both energy players at 6'9 200 lbs, but Leslie better rebounder & shot blocker)
    Mirotic to back up Ryno
    Ben McClemore to push KJ
    Tyus Jones to push Ennis
    Gentile to push Dekker

If grizzled vets are MDA's preference then either Noah or Chandler (if contracts can be shortened) to replace Nene, Lance Stephenson to back up Beard, Smoove to back up Ryno & Capela, etc.

17. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I envision him agreeing to a contract (after Morey's created cap space) and then pulling out at the last minute. Oh wait that's DeAndre Jordan ;)

D-rock likes this.
  18. jayfree

jayfree Member

It takes time to find the right set of players with a certain skill set that can compliment a star player on a team. A ball-wanting center wasn't the answer but a stretch supporting cast was.

Anderson is a great fit as a PF due to his height and 3 pt shot. If the Rockets want to upgrade at this position then they need someone that can take it to the rim but still be able to shoot the 3 at a high percentage. Blake is not that answer and I feel he would regress this team back to the Howard years (that we just finally got out of).

I am not a fan of Melo by any means as a star player and there is absolutely no indication that he would take a back seat to anyone. But if in a year or two he decided to defer, post up, drive, rebound, play defense and shoot 3s without chucking then I'd be all for adding him to our team. But let's face it- that will never be him. So the next best thing is to find someone that has a similar skills set without the selfish nature.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Or maybe you can just wish Anderson to rebound and play defense, that's just 2 things that need to happen instead of like 10 for Melo.

Even an unselfish Melo wouldn't be an upgrade because Melo is elite in the post but average at everything else, even if he tries he won't be able to defend the PFs in the league and even if he spots up for 3s that will just be average as well. The best fit for the Rox is actually Porzingis at center, followed by Davis at PF/C. These two guys can hit 3s, are young and provide the defensive and rebounding presence the Rox lack right now.

20. jayfree

jayfree Member

I completely agree. That's why I stated Melo wouldn't be the fit, but someone with his skill set could. Melo can play defense when he wants to and he'd have to commit entirely to that and spotting up to be on a championship type team. He won't do that 'cause there is no money in it for him.