1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. Nigel Thornberry

Omg are you talking about the last game of the season that didn't matter?? Yes you have said the same thing over and over. In the very little career starts Savage has thrown 0 tds. I can also bring up when osweiler was benched Savage instantly moved the football and led a comeback win.

Why don't we also include how many catastrophic INTs he threw and just plain awful throws. He had a few decent games and a lot of terrible games. To say he was our best chance to win sounds like the 2-14 broken record Matt schaub defenders.

macho GRANDE and texans1095 like this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I want Savage to start week 1 and succeed or fail. Basically, I want to remove all doubt about the QB position. The worst thing Savage can do is start and play okay. We need him to be amazing or be trash, nothing in between.

If he plays amazing then patience with Watson is on order and no one can complain about it. If he's trash than no one, including Watson, BOB, Rick Smith, Texans Scouts, etc.. has the luxury of patience and we have to see Watson. Fairly or unfairly, Watson will be allowed growing pains that Savage should not get since we're talking about rookie vs veteran.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, so despite the fact that Savage led to even worst offense, you think he was better? No point in arguing with that. Think whatever you want to think, it's not like it matters. I'll keep paying attention to the team now.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Watson was drafted to lead the franchise.

Let him start his growth/learning process immediately.

Savage is an adequate insurance policy.

5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

66.7% for Watson, that is not a good news if the coach is going to listen to us. I like Watson too, but he needs time to be ready for a NFL QB. The last thing that you want to have is an injury for new QB at the beginning of the NFL play. He need watch, and learn more before being a full time QB on the filed although he is quite exciting on the filed right now, but his ball accuracy was not that based on that preseason game.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am with this guy...

macho GRANDE and Fulgore like this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

That would be fine if this franchise was not in a win now mode. With the defense in place and the offensive weapons we have, we need at the very least, is a game manager. Savage is that guy to manage and maybe give you a little upside, but above all else, he has the playbook memorized and a little experience. Nothing wrong with taking him out and replacing him with Watson if he fails, but in now way should we just throw a rookie in at this point in time.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I really hope that Watson shows that he's even half as good as those who push him think he is right now. I'm still on the fence till i see him show that he can actually be a dual threat. I know that he can scramble and run, I want to see him be dangerous with his arm. If that part of his game comes along....damn, it'll be amazing.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

A friend just sent me a text that the Texans are going to explore starting Watson... Any truth to it? I'm at work and don't have time for research.

Edit: he said they're aiming to have him start by week 1

#109 rezdawg, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Fulgore likes this.
  10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Hope your friend is correct.

Nigel Thornberry and red5rocket like this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

How are the Texans in a win-now mode? Isn't every team, save for like 5 or 6 totally hapless franchises, in "win now" mode each year?

Further -- if you're in "win now" mode, don't you want to play the hand with the highest upside?

You think a middling QB is going to beat the elite teams?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I kind of doubt that is their plan, but I'd bet they are keeping their options open. Savage hasn't earned anything yet, but as of now the reports are that he's clearly ahead of Watson....but if Savage struggles in preseason and Watson shows that he can be an accurate passer, I don't think they'd hesitate to make the switch.

donkeypunch likes this.
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

#1 rated defense means win-now mode. Adding the best defensive player on the planet to that #1 rated defense means win-now mode.
    Why put that pressure on a rookie qb on a win-now mode team, when you have a guy that has been in the system for 4 years now, has a good arm and has the playbook memorized? Like I said, let Savage start and replace him if he fudges, all while giving Watson more time to study the playbook and get some more repetition under his belt. Whats so bad about that situation?
    See 2001 Ravens.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure they want to see how he does with the ones but that's just about what everyone thinks. Some of those others guys couldn't get open.

15. conquistador#11

i noticed we are running more zone blocking scheme again. I thought it was dumb to go to a power running game just because of NE. With zone, you can be a top 5 line even if the individual parts would suggest lacking individual talent. Boot leg with watson would make kubes come out of retirement. That's how nice it could look. definitely need to see it against first team defense. But the kid has leadership and knows where to go with the ball like he's been here 4 seasons too.
    I'll let the coaches decide for me. I have no issues who they go with.

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's smarter to fit the offense with Watson rather than fitting Watson into the offense, if you know what I mean, and that's probably what BOB is trying to do

1234567 likes this.
  17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You seem to be softening your stance on the Savage starting v. Watson debate. I think I'm in the same boat.

Watson had issues the first game, and was going against the 2s/3s with our 2s and 3s... but his talent seemed to really flash. I believe he is already better than Savage. But don't read in to that much -- Savage is not good.

The next two preseason games will be revealing as to what we should do, IMO. I wouldn't pencil in Savage as week 1 starter just because he's a vet -- as an almost-former Texan once said, football is a meritocracy.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I really liked a ton of what I saw from Watson the first game and I disliked a lot of what I saw from Savage.

Savage held on to the ball too long and didn't look all that confident.....and yet again didn't move the ball to put it in the end zone in the air.

With Watson, pretty much everything other than throwing the ball accurately looked amazing. If Watson can throw the ball accurately, I'll be 100% on that bandwagon, my only concerns are that some of his bad throws might have been interceptions against a starting defense.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I noticed a real change in the reporting on the Texans today. There were mutiple sources floating the 'Start Watson' ballon. I assume it's from watching the reps and successes in camp.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Outside of maybe the first week of training camp, I've havent heard anything about Savage being way ahead of Watson... I've heard almost the opposite. Plus, Savage just got wrecked a couple days ago in practice, so I'm thinking that after 4 years of being in the system, if Savage isn't truly leagues ahead of Watson at this point, then its better to start the Watson era sooner than later.

Fulgore likes this.