1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waiting for Don Nelson??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoRockets, Jun 2, 2003.

1. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

On my drive to work this morning, I was listening to sports radio and they were talking about the fact that there is positive genuine interest coming out of the Don Nelson camp that he's interested in the Rockets job. Apparently there are things going on behind the scenes with Don and the Mavs front office that he doesn't want to deal with anymore, enough for him to decide to possibly leave. They mentioned he's on vacation until June 15, in the Bahamas or something. Radio guy said he asked CD directly if the Rockets wouldn't have a coach picked out by then, the response he got was "Maybe, maybe not. We'll see." Very interesting development if you ask me.

2. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I think this Nelson stuff is bogus.

3. stra

stra Member

I must say I have thought about if Don Nelson really wants to be the Rockets coach and I don't see why he would leave Dallas for Houston. What is the reasoning , he already has a great team that just needs a little inside presence to be the best team in the league!

But if Don Nelson is to be the Rockets coach I think it would be a great situation for us. He is a great offensive coach and that is just what this team needs right now. There are questions about the defense of Dallas but I don't think the Rockets defense under Nelson will be half as bad as the Mavericks because our players have MUCH more potential defensive ability than what Dallas currently has. So I think we could be very dangerous under Don Nelson. Bring him in Les and CD

4. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Before today, I figured also that "Why in the heck would DN leave Dallas for Houston?" On the surface, it looks like he's got it pretty good for the next few years. But then I remembered that Mr. I Get Whatever I Want Cuban is his boss and that could be enough reason for him to leave. Rumors is that Cuban wants DN back in the front office, but DN says he still wants to coach. That could be part of the "behind the scenes" mess they were talking about this morning.

5. stra

stra Member

Great Bring him in

6. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Don Nelson #3 Most winningest coach of all-time
    24 years coaching
    Career wins - 1095
    Career losses - 877
    Career % - .555
    Regular season wins - 1036
    Regular season losses - 806
    Regular season % - .562
    Playoff wins - 59
    Playoff losses - 71
    Playoff % - .454

His worst ratio is in the Playoffs category. Plus he's getting pretty old. On the bright side, he has a great staff including his son DN Jr. that he could bring over. I just don't know.

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

If being in Dallas is not viable for the Nelsons, why not hire Donn and let his dad be an assistant?

Take it to reality TV.

8. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

This I would not mind at all.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

hireing DN sr. would mean hireing all 11 of his assistants. :p

10. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

The question is though, is it too much of a risk to wait until June 15, or go the safe route and hire JVG or MD before they are gone from the market as well?

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

How about Donnie Nelson instead of his dad?

He seems to work well with foreign players. Might be a good coach for Yao. He is young and hungry. Certainly worth an interview if he is interested in coaching. We could not outbid Dallas for him monetarily but if he wants the job money would not be as much an issues.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There is a reason Nelson hasn't won a championship. He doesn't coach defense. Offense wins games, Defense wins championships.

No Thanks.

13. mingonly

mingonly Member

I told you so. I said yesturday that Don would be the coach. Before any rumors,radio,hearsay.

My credibility just sky rocketed.Do I win anything for always being right? Am I a insider? Or a mind reader. Either way,Im a badass.

14. mingonly

mingonly Member

Ok, I figured that if Dunleavy was TRUELY the #1 guy right now,why not just hire him today,or another interview? Or for JVG for that matter?
    Theres a reason why there is a delay. Cd is not stupid. Hes waiting either for DOn vacation up,or out of respect for MD to let him see the offer for hawks first.
    its pretty easy to figure out really. Before some of you start making fun of CDs appearence(obviously Begad isnt a long time rocket other wise he would know about the stroke) sit back,relax,and ponder why CD isnt signing MD or JVG even though all the teams are trying to pry them away form us.

one word-Don

15. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

I would like Donnie as well. He has an eye for talent.

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Neither will be gone by June 15th. The only other competition for Dunleavy is Atlanta who is going through the process of changing ownership which could take another month. JVG is under contract to the Knicks until July 31st. In a worst case scenario, the Rox could slide the Knicks a future 2nd if they enforce the contract. The Knicks would be inclined to do this to EC rivals and the EC is where most of the vacancies are.

If we couldn't/wouldn't afford Brown, we aren't getting either Nelson.

17. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Barring the issue of money and given the choices, I would rank my coaching preference as:

1st Nelson
    2nd Dunleavy
    3rd JVG

What you said makes sense GATER but I hope you're wrong about not being able to afford Nelson.

18. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Why are so many people high on this guy?

His teams are never defensive minded. He has NEVER coached a team to the finals. His team this year wouldn't have made it to the West Finals if Webber didn't get hurt.

I'd much prefer Van Gundy and his lack of offensive knowledge because, at least, he preaches defense.

19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Don Nelson hand assembled the Mavs and focuses on offense first.

JVG's first focus is on defense.

The Rox do not need help on defense. Rather they need organization on offense. They need to focus on offensive fundamentals and I think DN is the man for this.

Don't put it past the Mavs (Cuban) to undermine the Rox, somehow. Although indirectly.

Do you think that Donnie Jr would like the opportunity to compete with the old man? Does he have a staff available to step in?

I don't think so, but then I don't know the man.

JVG needs to go somewhere else.

I want a new offense d@mnit. Why do you think we had to start Griffin and Posey. To keep us from getting steam-rolled from the start.

I wish Rudy the best in wherever he goes.

And how about Jason Collier. What a crybaby.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Don Nelson has seen too many winters...

[​IMG]