1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Kyle Lowry - 33 Points (9 Assists) Vs Blazers (1.14.12)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Jan 14, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I actually agree with DD that this looked like an old Aaron Brooks game. Lots of iso, lots of dribbling, lots of knocking down huge contested 3s from way back. Normally Lowry doesn't play much like Brooks but this was like one of Brooks best games (with better D). I'm starting to finally believe that Lowry's improved jump shot is for real... guy has insane work ethic to improve so much.

In '09-10 Brooks had a handful of 30+ points/5+ assist games which were a lot like this one.

2. Roxs-Redemption

We found a star on the roster already, now we just need a better SG!

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

4. dd89

dd89 Member

Someone's trash is another man's treasure ;).

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am really thinking Martin and Scola who are not so effective this season want to give up shots to Kyle. They understand that Kyle is getting hot very quickly and they trust him. All the others may think alike.

6. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

Great highlights! It's so fun watching Kyle play the way he's been playing so far cause he's definitely been carrying us so far.

7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Courtney Lee was hilarious

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

A game like this is better than any game Brooks has ever had. And it's becoming the norm for Lowry. It feels so good to have groomed an all-star on our very own team; hasn't happened since Yao and honestly in the grand scheme of things the "building up of Kyle Lowry" may ultimately be a bigger harvest from this season than making the playoffs. Lowry could now be a piece to lure other players to come.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If in those games AB defended, rebounded, and looked to get his teammates involved first before taking over on ISO plays after his teammates did jack, then I would agree with you. The increased ISO and dribbling comes from McHale's inside-out. AB had no reason to over-dribble and jack up contested shots from long range as often as he did when playing in a motion offense. You will also notice that Lowry typically looks to setup his teammates while pushing the temp up court. The contested shots or out of place shots he does shoot, it is either because he has been making them, no one else is making anything, or he has to because time is running out.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aaron Brooks is just like Kyle Lowry, minus the rebounding, the passing, the defense, the leadership and the tempo control...

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Brooks had plenty of great scoring games where he also got a lot of good assists. I think some of you have selective memory.

It's true he was never the defender or rebounder that Lowry is. But on the offensive end Lowry's game last night did remind me of Brooks at his best in '09-10. And that's a compliment. There were a number of nights that season when AB looked like an all-star.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

ABZ's highest scoring games in '09-10

[​IMG]

Few games in there with 8-9 assists. The one in yellow @ BOS was pretty comparable to Lowry's game last night on the offensive end.

I'm glad Lowry has matured into such a complete player though. I never thought he would get his shooting up to Brooks' level, it looks like I may have been wrong if he can keep this up. The shooting rebounding passing and defense are an appealing package.

13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I never said AB did not have good assists. He definitely had some sweet dimes during his stay as a Rocket. What I am pointing out is that AB does not approach the opposing the defense looking for the best way to score. AB dribbles down court with the intent to score as his first priority. Most of his passes do not come from setting people up, but are rather bail outs when the defense collapses on him. His <2:1 TO ratio proves this.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Isn't it true that the threat to score is what opens up passing targets for all point guards when they drive into the lane? Your argument doesn't make much sense to me.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

You must have not read the part where I mention intent. There is a difference between looking to pass and passing because you are stuck. For one, he does not penetrate all that often despite his advantage in speed. This means he lives and dies by his shot. If it starts falling, then it opens up the floor a bit as they are forced to play him closer. Secondly, he rarely looks to pass or press as he walks down court the court waiting for the defense to set as he looks to chuck it.

When Lowry takes point, he is typically relentless in pressing and probing the D waiting for holes to penetrate and attack the rim or for players to get open off cuts and screens to pass. When he does shoot contested shots it is typically because his team needs it, time is running out and no one else had the balls to drain it, or because he has been feeling it and feels there is enough opening.

This is why even before Lowry started shooting well, so many people wanted Lowry to replace AB when he was doing pretty good.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The problem is you are looking at statistics alone.

But even then you aren't looking at the rebounding and defensive half of it. That alone makes Lowry twice the player Brooks is.

Also, you'll see it even in this highlight video. Lowry pushes the ball. He rarely brings the ball up himself, and even if he does he pushes it and never walks up the court. He sets up the tempo of the offense quickly and efficiently.

He doesn't need the ball to be effective even in scoring. Lowry got his 33 points today from a few isolation plays sure, but you'll find that a large number of his points came from catch and shoot or driving to the basket. That's the major difference between him and Brooks. Brooks needs the ball to be effective, he is a ball stopper. Lowry keeps the tempo going.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't agree with this. Look at the %As numbers at hoopdata.com. Lowry gets a higher percentage of his field goals off his own creation than Brooks did in his MIP season (which isn't, in itself, a good or bad thing).

I thought Brooks did a good job moving without the ball. He had better passers around him, though.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Statistics record what happened. You can say they're not fully predictive, and that's fine, but they do a good job of measuring past production. I take objection to the idea that Brooks never had an offensive game as good as Lowry did last night... he actually may have had better ones.

How am I not looking at it when I repeatedly gave Lowry credit for his defense and rebounding.

19. Rockets_Texans

i just hope kyle lowry doesnt turn out to become aaron brooks. one season he was good, the next season he sucked, now he's in china (Aaron Brooks)

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would love to get Aaron Brooks back for the

Lowry/Brooks

small ball combo...

Aaron Brooks>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Goran Dragic...