1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Upgrading the SF/PF rotation - Trade options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ilias, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I didn't say they are out NOW....but towards the trade deadline and the time where teams consider buyouts so players are still playoff eligible.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Total bust thread and I don't mean the kind that belongs in the new PG-13 section.

SamFisher and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Best but most expensive target would be Aaron Gordon, can defend all 5 positions (post and perimeter), facilitate and shoot from range. And unlike Mirotic, uber athlete, hustle player AND not a douche.

More economic option is Anthony Randolph.

basketballholic likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This might not be a popular opinion, but imo any defensive upgrade will do. We are not good enough at anything defensively to the extent that we can't use an upgrade. I trust in this coaching staff to use whatever part of a swiss army knife that becomes available to us and adjust our defensive strategy to our strengths. What would be IDEAL is improving the ability to force turnovers and get more deflections from the starting PF position without losing ANY shooting there, but that's a dream we have to wait on.

I think people underestimate what a buyout candidate at the deadline can provide. With the type of assets we have where WE are the ones holding the undesirable contract, it's going to be hard to get a significant talent upgrade. When you trade someone - even Ryan Anderson - you lose something so the player coming back has to cover that and more for us to have "won" that trade. OTOH any FA signing who becomes a rotation player is addition without subtraction.

Let's hope Paul has that desired effect. More than that, getting Paul/Moute/Tucker more integrated will be critical. Capela is certainly not going to get worse, I think he might even improve defensively despite his strong start. I see Anderson and Harden dipping though, it's just not their nature and I see the signs already. We just need to make up some ground on defense. What would send shockwaves into predictions is if we finished as good as the Warriors offensively and maybe 6th in defensive efficiency. Spurs were #8 offense and #1 defense last season and didn't look like they'd trouble the Warriors - we have to do better than that.

saleem likes this.
  5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

There is no point in making moves that would only marginally improve the team when they are playing so well and still have untapped upside. The risk you take is dragging down team morale and extending out more weeks until the team can gel.

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don't think this team needs to be touched.

We're 2nd in offense 8th in defense and 2nd in net rating.

We're sitting in 1st place and cp3 our 2nd superstar top 10 player hasn't played but 3 out of 17, all wins.

This team is really good. In any year we're the warriors don't have KD and it's the Golden state with Steph/klay/green I think we would be just as likely to win the championship as them.

It's just a strange era right now really created only because of the influx in tv money that allowed the warriors to win the lottery and sign KD, any other year that would not have been possible.

Ride the wave try and beat the warriors in the playoffs then go into the offseason as the premier destination for the top FA.

Lebron or bust.

I think we can get him just gotta keep doing what we're doing.

Morey is the best he'll figure it out.

da_juice likes this.
  7. Chamillionaire

I seriously doubt we trade Ariza, Tucker, or Luc. Ariza is the 2nd most important player in terms of team chemistry and personality. Luc and Tucker both on great contracts.

Codman likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

if it’s not Lebron or PG13, then I don’t really want to hear about it

those 2 are how u catch the Warriors

valorita likes this.
  9. Moahst

Moahst Member

None of those guys in your original post are an upgrade over what we have. And Ariza/Ryno/Tucker/Moute is really not that bad of a 3,4 rotation.

10. valorita

valorita Member

This.

During offseason, I wonder if we could:

1) trade Ryno into space for picks
    2) sign Paul George
    3) re-up Chris Paul and Capela

Capela
    George
    Harden
    Paul

Gordon
    Tucker
    Nene

11. macan

macan Member

if it ain't LBJ, PG, KD or mayb melo, then no deal!

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WHAT THE **** IS THIS? PJ TUCKER is literally the guy that wins you games in the playoffs.

Nikola Mirotic?

ARE YOU ON CRACK? Is this what’s second account? Holy Lord!

RocketsFan0 and saleem like this.
  13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he is going to the Lakers

14. basketballholic

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ariza was one of the reasons cp3 came here and will be one of the reasons he resigns. he's not going anywhere, just like brown isn't going anywhere. cp3 recruited tucker and luc. nene took a pay cut to be here. capela and gordon aren't going anywhere unless we get a superstar in return. ryno is unlikely to be traded because of his contract. even with a future pick attached we probably can't get an upgrade that would fit into the stretch 4 position.

the way i see it is we have the following trade assets:
    • black
    • qi
    • troy
    • nanu

assume we want to keep joe. the other 3 combine for just over $6M, but if we include black we better be getting a rotation-worthy center in return. if we don't include black, troy and nanu would combine for just under $3M and would best be used for a backup PG incase cp3 misses more games.

here are some of the best PG targets in our price range:
    dinwiddie, MCW, j.grant, mcconnell, ferrell, seth curry, barrea, m.james, neto.

If we add black and go for a backup center, here are the best targets in our price range:
    a.williams, okafor, o'quinn, dedmon

i don't think anyone else on the roster will be traded this season, and of those that we could trade, these are the best players that could fill a need for us. no one really moves the needle, especially the PGs since they would only play if cp3 sits out. i guess i'd be most intrigued by okafor but i'm not sure if he's worth the future first, or if we can afford to resign him this summer. however the upside in post scoring off the bench, and attacking gsw at their one weak point is appealing.

in the end i think closer to the deadline DM will have to decide what okafor is worth and if we can even afford the sixers asking price and okafor's resigning price. if morey thinks okafor's defense would hurt more than his offense helps, or that the trade value is higher than we want to go, or that okafor and his agent will be asking for too much money next summer... then i think we only move nanu/troy for a PG at the deadline.

we are very lucky that no major moves are needed to be a contender! but that also means having a pretty boring trade deadline.

16. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

All of those you listed none of them is worth the trade....we have good rotation at the sf position, only upgrade would be an all star player and reliable 3 pt shooter due to our system.

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Trev will always be discredited for the work he puts in every game of every season....

We have a really strong combination of 3s/Tweeners that work rather well in our offensive design. Tuck hasn't shot the ball very well but his defense and rebounding have been outstanding. He's going to win games for us just by pure hustle. When I heard Luc was following his brodie, I was excited, but I didn't quite know how good he is.

So, really, I wouldn't be willing to give up any of them for the guys mentioned in this thread( Ok, LBJ and KD are obvious), but give me Jaymychal Green. I would seriously consider bringing him to the best NBA city, but only for what we still owe Matt Maloney.

Green is in the wrong environment (for development, playing time and style), but the dude is a stud. He's still relatively young and has the ability to do just about everything, including defend with hands that Ron Artest might appreciate. He has become one of my favorite non-Rockets to watch.

Other than that, I'll rock with Trev/ Tuck/Luc/Tweener/etc/etc/BobbyBrownBaby for now.

We're number one out West and despite not meeting our trading goal (that ear burns every day. sorry :(....) our 20 million sharp shooter looks like he is going to have a solid year. This time, he's going to scorch cheating bigs in the playoffs.

We have great chemistry, financially-smart contracts and passion among fans. We have James freaking Harden and Chris Paul, who hasn't even shown what he can do with this group/offense/coach/freedom.

Bonuses: We're not dealing with D12/scrub vs. JH/JT/Smoov beef, we're not dealing with the farce of Linsanity and so-called "fans"/ gifting Rip City a second-round appearance because of ego-issues, nor do we have "Spirit Fingers Kevin McHale" clapping to the beat of pots and pans on the sideline, and we no longer have to debate whether or not pay Chandler Parsons because Memphis superfan, "WHAT", and the Grizz did everyone a favor. And, Christmas can come at different times, so an insurance surprise for our championship hopes is never off of the table.

Stay humble, stay hungry and stop trying to upgrade our 3s.

Deuce, pippendagimp, ilias and 10 others like this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Codman on fire!!!

saleem likes this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

When is the Matt Maloney nightmare going to end? How much do the Rockets owe him? It's gonna be hard to get Green IMO.

Codman likes this.
  20. Robert Kogut

Robert Kogut Member

Wait, with healthy CP3 this team has not lost the game yet (including pre-season games). It is too early to assume Rockets cannot beat GSW without upgrade. Who knows maybe they can. I wouldn't be surprised seeing flawless victory.

#60 Robert Kogut, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017