1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Update on Baylor situation - even worse than we thought

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Isabel, Aug 16, 2003.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

utterly disgusting. it keeps getting worse. it is scary how deep people will sink to protect themselves from judgment from their own bad acts.

2. Isabel

Isabel Member

A member of my extended family used to teach at A&M. Football players would come into her classes and not do their work or study. She would report the "F" on the official grade sheet she turned in; somehow it would always get changed to a "C". If things like this didn't go on, I wonder what the athletic passing/ graduation rate would be. If they think it's bad now...

Not to pick on A&M alone - I'm sure it's widespread. "Harem" organizations are common and the "hostesses", or whatever their names may be, have their pictures in the media guides. There are a few schools out there still trying to do college athletics the right way - however, it's hard to find these at the higher levels (especially in large, "BCS"-type schools). This doesn't mean we should accept the corruption as a fact of life.

This Baylor situation, though - somebody ending up dead, serious troubles on the team being ignored, and especially conspiring to ruin the name of a dead man who cannot speak for himself - this is just some new kind of awful. Hopefully it will be a wake-up call for the NCAA, schools, and fans. Things are out of control.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Man, this whole thing is just freakin' pathetic.

As for the harems, they are apparently very common in major college athletics. They call them "hostess programs" and there are all sorts of wild rumors about what "services" they provide for young recruits and for members of the athletic department.

What I find so disgusting about all this is that they spend all this time denying that college sports is about money. At least in the pro's, they just come right out and admit it and get blasted for being all about the cash. College is supposedly about getting an education and the glory of winning. Blah, blah, blah.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

College athletes that get a free ride in the class room is complete BS. I find it just plain stupid that college's do this sort of thing, but it does happen in High School so of course its going to happpen college. Now people want to pay these "student" athletes, that will make things 10x's worse.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

If the allegations against Dave Bliss turn out to be true, he should spend time in prison and be banned for life from coaching college athletics.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I knew a few girls in the Texas Angels (I think that was what it was called at U.T.) I don't think any of them were pressured to have sex with the athletes or asked or whatever. Believe me, if they had sex, they wanted to. College football players have girls chasing them just as much as professionals.

7. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Player Parent Tape Meetings Also

Monday, August 18

Guinn's tape of meeting in authorities' hands

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

AUSTIN, Texas -- The morning after a plot by Dave Bliss to cover up potential NCAA violations was revealed, the former Baylor basketball coach met for about an hour with one of the players he tried to use in the scheme, bringing a tape recorder to the meeting.

Richard Guinn, father of Bears senior center R.T. Guinn, also recorded the meeting at his house Saturday and gave his copy to Baylor investigators. The investigators plan to listen to the tape on Monday, according to the Associated Press.

"I told them I wanted the tape to validate [to authorities] what was said here so [Bliss] couldn't twist it and get R.T. in trouble," Richard Guinn said Sunday in an interview with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "That's why I wanted them to pass it on."

Guinn told the Star-Telegram that he did not understand why Bliss wanted to record the conversation or what he planned to do with the tape.

"I have no idea, but that's the reason I took [my tape] to the commission and I told him, in response, that I was going to take it to the commission," Guinn said. "If he tried to use that [tape] in a wrong way, they had the tape and they'd know exactly what was going on.

"I said I wasn't going to lie for him or anybody else over there. I wasn't going to cover up or anything like that."

Guinn also told that newspaper that the Baylor committee instructed him not to discuss the contents of Saturday's conversation, but he described Bliss as composed throughout the meeting. He said Bliss "kind of apologized for everything that was happening."

"I was just shocked that he wanted to come over after all that was said and done and everything," said Guinn, who had not read the transcripts of the secret tapes before he met with Bliss. "After I read the papers, I was in shock, flabbergasted, upset ... ."

Guinn told the Dallas Morning News that Bliss planned to visit another player, Harvey Thomas, a junior-college recruit who Dennehy's family claimed had threatened Dennehy. Bliss repeatedly knocked on Thomas' apartment door, Thomas' live-in fiancee, Sheena Devese, told the Morning News. But the couple refused to answer.

Devese told the paper that her fiancee was not fully apprised of all the details involving the cover-up story. Thomas refused comment when approached by the newspaper.

Kirk Watson, outside counsel involved in the inquiry into the allegations, told the Morning News that the tapes implicating Bliss in the cover-up will be forwarded to the McLennan County district attorney's office. The Star-Telegram, which heard the taped conversations, said police may seek criminal charges if the tapes show that Baylor officials or athletes were not truthful during questioning about Dennehy's disappearance.

Baylor investigator David Guinn, no relation to the Baylor player or his father, said Richard Guinn gave the taped recordings to him. David Guinn said he locked them away at Richard Guinn's request and has not yet listened to the tape.

He did, however, express concern that Bliss was trying to contact his former players.

"I made this conveyance to him that I think it's counterproductive rehashing this with youngsters on the team," David Guinn said to the Star-Telegram. "It is unsettling to young people."

Bliss tried to use the players and an assistant coach in an attempt to portray slain Baylor player Patrick Dennehy as a drug dealer.

Secretly recorded tapes of conversations between Bliss, assistant Abar Rouse and players show Bliss thought the drug story would steer investigators away from allegations the coach had improperly paid for Dennehy's tuition, an NCAA violation.

Bliss's coverup attempt was revealed Friday night when Rouse gave the Fort Worth Star-Telegram a copy of his tapes.

Bliss resigned Aug. 8 after school announced he had been involved in improper tuition payments to two players.

"What we've got to do here is create drugs," Bliss said on one of the tapes, which were recorded July 30, 31 and Aug. 1.

He wanted to portray Dennehy as a dealer who presented Baylor players with mar1juana and other "exotic" drugs and carried a wad of thousands of dollars in cash.

"It's not like we created his situation," Bliss said. "We're the victims."

Bliss, a former New Mexico coach, said Dennehy couldn't deny the allegations because he was dead. Dennehy had played for Bliss at New Mexico and had followed the coach to Baylor.

Dennehy was found shot to death on July 25. An autopsy found no alcohol, opiates, amphetamines or barbiturates in his system, but his body was too decomposed to test for mar1juana.

Baylor investigators found no evidence Dennehy was involved in drug dealing.

After the cover-up was revealed, Bliss called the Guinn house early Saturday morning and asked to come over, Richard Guinn said. When he showed up with a tape recorder, Richard Guinn said he also decided to record the conversation.

Richard Guinn said Bliss remained composed during the meeting.

"`He said he was scared of what was coming out on the tapes," Richard Guinn said. Bliss didn't say why he wanted to record the conversation.

Bliss did not return a telephone message left at his home Sunday.

8. Buck Turgidson

"It's not like we created his situation," Bliss said. "We're the victims."
    Unbelievable.

RMT, you don't have to worry about getting Bliss banned from the NCAA...there's not a school in the country (well, maybe UNLV) that would come withing 100 feet of Bliss now.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Dave Bliss repeats charge that murdered Baylor basketball player was a drug dealer

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Whatever actually occurred who knows but only destruction was left in it's wake that's for sure.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Baylor is not the school we thought it was.

justtxyank likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Baylor in a nutshell (sorry Max):

"I'm trying to grovel for higher ground. I got in the mud with the pigs, and I paid the price, and the pigs liked it."

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I was a 17 year old college freshman when this happened! :eek:

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Damn man. Literally had no idea about this.

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Which is the biggest Baylor-related scandal: this, the sexual assault and cover up allegations, or "Proud Black Woman" incident?