1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Two Million People (and counting) Receiving Tax Reform Bonuses

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jan 12, 2018.

1. adoo

adoo Member

revisionist history on your part.

O pushed thru the bail out of the financial industries (something that GWB has failed, as well as GM​

ur wrong.

if you're a US citizen, u'd know that the biggest boondoggle has been to nation-build Iraq, and the oil there will pay for it.

u have no idea what ur talking about.

O successfully bail out the financial industry and GM. it stopped the economic hemmoraging, which added stability. after experiencing job loss in the hundreds of thousands during the waning months of GWB, O went on to generate ~ 70 consecutive mo of job growth.

the dizzying height of ignorance.

in terms of fiscal and monetary policies, bailing out failing industries and implementing QE are as artificial as it can be.

the last time that the US had to use QE to resusitate a dying economy was duriing FDR's time.

#261 adoo, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Those items could be relevant to this discussion then...but it would be worth noting that many here who were in favor of them then seem to be against them now. But, there is a timing issue as well....we were already rebounding before any of that was passed. Portions of it may have made sense, but it was still a purely politically based bill. Democrats wanted to be able to say they got for Main Street what the Republicans gave Wall Street. So, if avoiding unnecessary spending, and paying more attention to the deficit/debt is one of your concerns, this type of spending rationale should be at the top of your list.

Growth was up, I wouldn't say it was strong and prolonged. And, as I have said several times, growing the economy is the only real way out of our fiscal mess...we have signed up for future liabilities that we can't cover unless we grow our economy substantially.

It isn't silly, it is a simple fact. One that benefits whichever President is there at the time. The unenviable task is for the one who is there during the crash, not the one there for the natural rebound.
    FWIW...this isn't a knock on Obama, just a simple statement of fact, and timing. Timing, as they say, is everything.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It isn't fact. The economic mess wasn't set to only last a certain amount of time. It could have gone on for many more years unless something was done. So it isn't like whoever walked in next was going to be lucky enough to have an automatic rebound.

Some of the stimuli were political because that's how government works. In order to get anything past there are politics involved. But it wasn't purely political.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

THis "money does bettter when in the hands of rich guys" argument must be why the Tax Cut and Jobs Act polled so well and why Trump's populist message resonated so well in 2016.

Solid analysis, @BigDog63

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a weird way of looking at time. So we should be weighing President Bush's three months at the helm during the crash instead of President Obama's actions when he took over?

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Honestly, if even 13% of tax savings goes to labor I'll be impressed and surprised. (I didn't say happy.)

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

$1 for you, $1,000,000 for me. You're welcome.

9. TheresTheDagger

I have a solution.

If you like the idea of a tax cut, gratefully accept it and move on.

If you hate the idea of a tax cut, simply send back to the government whatever you feel you owe extra.

It's literally putting your money where your mouth is...and everyone is happy!

cml750 and mick fry like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well there is no pragmaticism behind your suggestion as the actual massive cut in tax revenue that is resulting in a 1.5 trillion dollar addition to our ANNUAL deficit is a result of people with the entire net worth of Clutchfans posters combined receiving massive cuts.

I mean why? What do you think actually will tangibly benefit the future of this country more?

Throwing money at a group of humans that currently are holding on to the most wealth in human history or saving our public schools by increasing federal funding with increased tax revenue so that we can remove the horrible practice of attaching local public school funding with local property taxes which ****s over poor neighborhoods. PUBLIC schools shouldn't be funded less because they are in poor neighborhoods. It defeats the purpose of public schools.

Which route do you think would tangibly benefit this country more? Throwing more money at the wealthiest group of humans in mankind history or properly funding our public schools?

What I find puzzling is that conservative leaning individuals like you always tout how the federal government is corrupt and than turnaround and support policies that are a direct result of federal government corruption. Do you think the GOP pushed this tax bill because they genuinely want to help our economy or is it because of the millions of dollars that are at stake from campaign donations and lobbying aka bribing?

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I will keep my tax cuts and continue to criticize it for the harms it will cause. If you don't like my exercise of free speech, why don't you move to another country? :D

Of course I'm not serious, but really, these old GOP talking points are very strange. I see them as nonsense, but I guess they make sense to some folks? I heard them from very sensible folks. Weird. I don't get it.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Your scenario would make sense if I was a millionaire or a C-Level executive of a corporation but unfortunately I personally have had no financial benefits from Trumponomics at a personal level to give back. Actually my paycheck in 2018 is now less than 17 because of rising health care costs due to things like repealing the individual mandate, f-ing with the risk corridors, etc. at the hands of the GOP.

I don’t hate the idea of a tax cut. I hate the idea of blowing up the deficit for a giveaway to the top when myself and many others continue to see less income year over year. (I also know we are due for a recession in the near future and economics 101 says to use your bullets then and not now).

And I’m not just a poor person living on wealthcare living in a nanny state. I’m a 35 year old director at a growing company who should be in the prime of his career but my best year financially was 3 years ago and can’t seem to make enough to counter rising costs. Not sure why that’s so hard for folks like you to understand. Trump is not making my life better he’s actually making the future more risky in our economy with little to no financial gains for folks like myself.

#272 dobro1229, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Still doesn't make sense. One person or a few rejecting Tax Cuts on their own isn't going to change the overall outcome of it. The overall outcome boil down to trickle down economic. It hasn't worked and has bad consequences. But hey, keep trying what doesn't work.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly.

I feel the same way about socialized medicine.

To those that are against it, simply don't go and use a private doctor...... and everyone is happy!

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. TheresTheDagger

Good. I don't use socialized medicine. I'm not a hypocrite on that matter either.

So I assume you have already made plans to send in extra taxes next year?

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Did you read my post? That doesn't help.

It's called pragmaticism. You aren't trying to find an actual pragmatic solution but instead are debating for partisan's sake.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is an excellent example of the moronic nature of conservatism. They don't want to live in a society.

I'll accept your proposal when you opt out of the government services I'll be paying for. Don't use any of my highways or any of my government services, Medicare, Social Security, post office, student loans, gov backed mortgages, gov backed flood insurance, passports, FEMA, FAA, CDC, FDA, EPA, FBI, justice dept, the national parks systems and museums, etc. You can also gear up and fight all the wars you support. You're not getting a free ride on my tax dollars.

18. TheresTheDagger

Everyone in here is a partisan including yourself. That is irrelevant. The law is passed. It's done.

It's as pragmatic as one can be right now. Accept the tax cut and be a hypocrite or refuse it and send it back and stand by your principles.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

You keep missing the point. If trump had made the tax cut focused for middle and lower income people instead of corporations and the wealthiest Americans you'd have seen universal support. Especially since he is now cutting essential services that middle and especially lower income people need.

But hey, the wealthy got theirs...

pugsly8422 and R0ckets03 like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

What extra money? Thus far all the Tax Bill will likely cost my business money. Further my employees are not happy that Trump took away the per diem write off that they have relied upon.

I know lots of wealthy people got more wealthy in the short term with the Tax Bill but my business is not one as of today.

pugsly8422 likes this.