1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trying out for a few basketball teams(insight needed)possible routine sharing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jcee15, Jan 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

I'm 5'8"with a standing 29-32 vert, which is not bad considering I can repeat that 3-4 times in a row and I've never really hit the weights with any consistency until recently.

I've been doing various lifting routines for the last month and can really see why lifting is essential. I have range for days now(triceps, core work) and generally can not be contained in a random full court game. My basketball alter ego is what it is, I'm not sorry for that.

The problem is my 1 foot jump, don't get me wrong, I have a floater and can tap glass off the drive, fastbreak, when there is an opening.

Problem is with no gather(naturally a 2 foot jumper), I can't get the explosion that I need to bump off helpside bigs

I wanna go straight up off one foot, with power enough to go over and through the defender, so my speed on a straight line could be utilized.

I have three months, with no restrictions, no nagging injuries.
    I've read that as long as you can squat your body weight 8-10 times, which I can, you can start really training explosively.

I know of all the gimmicks(air alert, jumpsoles, blah, blah.) please refrain from linking me to such things.

What exercises/weights "specifically" do you think would contribute
    to what I want to accomplish.

I want to get as high as fast as I can off one foot with the goal being to flush on a beeech ass defender, or at least have the ability to surprise on my rise. :cool:

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I stopped reading after this.

2 people like this.
  3. jcee15

I'm not worried about my size.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Go to adarq.org, you will get plenty of help there.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Work on your calves. If you cannot jump higher with one leg than with both legs, then I think that's an issue of not having strong enough legs to adequately and efficiently support your weight.

I also heard working on your abs and core might help too.

6. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

How is air alert a gimmick? It is actually a pretty strenuous plyometric workout

7. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

[​IMG]

8. jcee15

I'm def. hitting the calves and core, been doing hip strengthening and lower back workouts, which seem to be working.

My legs are pretty strong man(got crackhead veins running up and down my legs ,lol)
    Maybe it's a matter of losing some muscle mass/fat around the edges

9. jcee15

I'm not trying to kill me knees.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

it would be good if they emphasize in strength first. Hitting plyos everyday can **** you up ,first get the recommended squat max which is to minimum squat 1.5 your bodyweight to avoid injuries. You can't be piss poor weak and jump into advance exercises.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Stop hitting the bong !

;)

DD

12. jcee15

This. right. here. is what I have been doing. I've been building up many muscle groups esp. my core, legs, etc.
    I've never done a max squat, but I can squat 1.5 of my body weight(170) multiple times, multiple reps.
    I want to train explosively, maybe 2 times a week max.

13. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised I am good at basketball attention thread :p

14. jcee15

Ahhh shiettttttttttttt, stop hitting the doh-nuts, DD, my nigggggga :grin:

1 person likes this.
  15. jcee15

I'm not trying to disguise that I'm good at basketball, I am. ;)
    I wanted to get some explosion advice, if not, I'm still gonna go hard with what I'm thinking will help me. :cool:

16. jcee15

That's a decent site man, thanks.

17. jcee15

Jim Halpert can't check me, or did you mean something else, I'm not good with innuendos.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

At your height or lack of it, IMO, you should focus on what your advantages are in quickness, and shooting ability and passing, and really improve those.

Trying to be a guy who explodes to the rim when physics say that the bigger taller players will always be able to stop you due to your lack of size is a waste of time.

Get better, sure....but just become the best player at YOUR advantages, rather than trying to make yourself into something that will never work.

To me that is setting yourself up for failure.

You are left handed, work on being able to finish with both hands, work on a quality step back jumper, work on changing speeds.

Develop your strenghts......highlight your advantages......

You are never going to explode to the rim over bigger guys, their mass will always be able to stop you, it is simply physics.

DD

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

There's something awkward about your movements from what i remember.....not fluid enough i think. Not sure if that's the issue, maybe it's your flexibility.

Overloading the calves is overrated. What youre training is mostly the soleus, as the actual calves actually bend the knee, rather than straighten it or give the pushing motion you're after. That just strengthens the foot push off, but not the knee and hip extension involved in a jump. Work on that, especially hip, since it's often overlooked. Since you want to work each leg individually, try the one legged squat, bulgarian split squat, and weighted step ups. Also, maintain a good balance overall and work out the opposite muscles as well. If you don't, then it's like trying to do a bicep curl when your bicep is already curled too much. Its cuts your range of motion, which cuts back on the amount of force you can generate in the movement.

You also have to realize you may have maxed out your genetic potential...at 5'8, 170 and cut, that's a significant amount of muscle it would seem. You need more fast twitch muscle fibers to get that explosion and you may not have enough.

1 person likes this.
  20. jcee15

This makes sense DD, I'm polishing my rythym on step back NBA 3's, pull up college threes off a hesitation that mimics my shot gather going both ways. Anything inside of that is wet.

I was given gifts from a pure athleticism standpoint, never punctuating on them continues to haunt me. I feel like I'm swatting flies off me when I get bumped now that I lift. All except the 1 leg explosion.

Also, you have to add speed to the mass equation. If I'm going to the rack full speed and take off headhunting, I'm going to bump the **** out of anybody in my way, hang and finish.

I can do that off two feet, I need to add the one foot jump with the same force to add a weapon to be respected to open my/my teams game.