1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Trouble in Laker Land

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rimrocker, Oct 26, 2003.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Shaq and Kobe trading words. Phil's going to be working hard this year.

Sunday, October 26, 2003
    Shaq calls Lakers 'my team'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Lakers will open the season Tuesday night at home with all four of their future Hall of Famers starting against the Dallas Mavericks ... but nothing even close to total harmony.

That's because Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant are feuding anew, out in the open, after a long thaw in their historically icy relationship.

O'Neal and Bryant seemed to be interacting comfortably Sunday on the practice floor, sharing the ball freely during an afternoon workout. Then they traded nasty verbal jabs after the session -- arguably their harshest comments since L.A.'s second championship season -- all stemming from O'Neal's suggestion Friday night in Las Vegas that Bryant "should probably look to be more of a passer until he gets his legs strong."

Bryant, recovering from offseason knee and shoulder surgeries, didn't welcome the suggestion, saying: "I definitely don't need advice on how to play my game."

Not even advice from O'Neal?

"Definitely not," Bryant continued. "I know how to play my guard spot. He can worry about the low post, and I'll worry about the [perimeter]."

When apprised of Bryant's reaction, O'Neal lashed out harder.

"As we start this new season, we want [expletive] done right," Shaq said. "If you don't like it, then you can opt out next year. As long as it's my team, then I'll voice my opinion. If you don't like it, then opt out."

That was a reference to Bryant's plan to exercise an option in his contract at season's end and test the free-agent market next summer, a stance Bryant has said he won't change in the wake of his felony sexual assault charge in Colorado.

Asked to clarify his "my team" remark, O'Neal added: "Everybody knows that. You [media] guys may give it to [Bryant] like you've given him everything else his whole lifetime, but this is the Diesel's ship. So ... if you ain't right [physically], don't be trying to go out there and get right on our expense. Use the people out there, then when you get right you [can] do what you do."

Not since the middle of the 2001-02 season -- the second of L.A.'s three consecutive championships -- have O'Neal and Bryant sparred in the press like this. Their relationship seemed to blossom into friendship during the third championship and also appeared to survive last season's 11-19 start and subsequent crash out of the playoffs with a second-round loss to San Antonio.

Throughout this first month back to work, however, there have been thinly veiled hints from O'Neal that problems have resurfaced, starting from the veterans' first day of training camp in Hawaii. Bryant did not fly on the Lakers' team charter and reported to camp a day late. O'Neal said at the time that "the full team is here," leading some to speculate that he preferred to play this season without the distractions attached to Bryant's court case.

Days later, explaining why he was sitting out an exhibition game with a sore left heel, O'Neal said: "I want to be right [in the regular season] for Derek, Karl and Gary.'' He was referring to Derek Fisher and new teammates Karl Malone and Gary Payton -- and O'Neal ommitted Bryant's name from the conversation more than once.

Malone and Payton, by contrast, have publicly supported Bryant as strongly as anyone in Lakers circles. But even Payton has urged Bryant to ease his way back into the team flow, after Bryant fatigued quickly and shot poorly in the second half of the Lakers' final two exhibition games.

Eyebrows were also raised when Bryant, for Thursday's exhibition in Anaheim against the Clippers, rode his motorcycle to and from the game instead of riding on the team bus.

Yet O'Neal, when pressed, insisted that the Lakers can play through any problems he's having with Bryant.

"I don't really worry about that," O'Neal said when asked about the state of the relationship. "I'm here to do a job. ... If he's open, I'm going to give it to him. If I'm open, I expect him to give it to me. I don't care about [expletive] else he does, and I know he don't care [expletive] else I do."

What's clear is that Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who spoke to reporters before his stars started volleying barbs, has his first real challenge of the season, less than 48 hours before the season opener. And it's right in his own locker room, not in a Colorado court room.

Asked about how he plans to play against the Mavericks on Tuesday night, Bryant said: "No change in my game whatsoever."

Said O'Neal: "Just ask Karl and Gary why they came here. One person, not two. One. Period. ... I'm not telling [Bryant] how to play his position. I'm telling him how to play team ball."

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Damn, I read that and almost thought somebody made it up. Those are some serious attacks. Should be an interesting season for the Lakers with all that talent trying to mesh.

3. x_trepidation_x

Shaq is making a big deal about the offense running through him cause he wants to get his contract extention. Funny how players seem to raise their level of play when money is involved. This is one reason why I never liked Shaq. He could have been even more dominating the last few years but hasn't because this guy is all about money not basketball.

I am not a Kobe supporter expecially after the incident regardless of if he is guilty or not. However, if I was Kobe I would try to keep a low profile. But one thing I will say for Kobe at least he plays the game to win and because he wants be the best.

This is why I support players like Yao Ming and Tim Duncan. They love to play the game and money isn't the only motivating factor.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Shaq is a bit of an ass. But Kobe is turning into a serious a-hole.
    Sounds like Shaq has had enough of Kobe's perceived selfishness.

Righting your motorcycle to a game instead of the team bus??? WTF.

5. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

shaqs the vet. and hes in better physical and mental shape. gotta defer to the man. i dont think hes going too far. harsh but he speaks the truth

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

...or not trying to.

Perhaps Shaq is right. Kobe's health (physical, and mental?) ain't Kobeesque and Bryant needs to get the ball to them what can do something with it.

The underlying question is will the Lakes be celebrating in June, or ruptured much earlier?

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

shaq needs to remember who's the guy that bailed him out during their championship run when they were playing the spurs. and oh yea, who was the guy that took up most of the slack when his lardass was too lazy to have surgery done during the offseason like a responsible and mature player would have done.

i dislike kobe as much as the next guy but shaq can't say anything about anybody.

shaq=the poster boy for 'speaking without thinking'

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Bailed him out? I guess I agree with you, if you consider Kobe taking constant advantage of the other team double teaming Shaq the entire game "bailing him out".

I think Kobe could have been replaced by other swingmen during the title runs, and the results might have been the same. I can't say that about Shaq...unless you are talking about replacing him with Duncan.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

man when SC said kobe and shaq were already having a war of words i thought it was going to be some joking segment, but nope, they're really going at it. it's like shaq is just trying to piss kobe off. he may be the biggest reason they win and why payton and malone came, but hey big guy, who takes over all the 4th quarters for you? kobe.

and kobe just seems like he's trying to get himself ostracized from the team more and more.

if any of it keeps them from winning a championship, awesome. if it doesn't, well at least it's good theater.

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well mcgrady would've been the only other swingman in kobe's class during those 3 years, so i guess they're even, one replacement each. it's not like they blew people away on their 1st and 3rd titles, they went to 7 games in both wcf's and pretty much wouldn't have won either if not for the refs so it's not like shaq didn't need kobe or someone amazing.

as for the spurs, kobe tore them apart two different years and they don't just double shaq even when he doesn't have the ball. kobe torched them b/c kobe is good and the spurs had enough defensive C talent in drob and duncan to at least make shaq try, thus making it almost better if kobe was doing his thing.

shaq is the more important of the two, but he's not invincible. he didn't win until kobe was a top 5 player.

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

its times like these where i love yao and francis' chemistry.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

"Everybody knows that. You [media] guys may give it to [Bryant] like you've given him everything else his whole lifetime, but this is the Diesel's ship. ."

i'm sorry but as i sit back and think, i have NEVER heard kobe ever saying that the Lakers were his team. EVER. and it's always shaq that has to remind us all that this is his team blah blah.

So ... if you ain't right [physically], don't be trying to go out there and get right on our expense. Use the people out there, then when you get right you [can] do what you do."

yea...and this is coming from a guy that didn't want to get much-needed surgery during the offseason because 'it was his vacationing time'.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

shaq has got to be one of the dumbest person in the history of the NBA. he doesn't think before he says anything. he thinks whatever he spews out is poetry. what a moron.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I almost feel bad for Malone and Payton now*...even if they do win a title this year, how can they possibly enjoy playing through all of this? Winning a championship should be about enjoying playing with all of your teammates and everyone enjoying it together, not everyone jabbing at each other and being selfish. This is just a team thrown together with no real chemistry. How can they possibly have fun together?

If Phil Jackson does take this team all the way, he deserves credit as the absolute best coach in the league. I can't imagine what it must be like to deal with these ego's. I do imagine it's mostly Kobe's ego causing the trouble...if they don't pull it together I imagine he'll bolt next summer.

*Then I just think about what they've done over the years to the Rockets and it goes away (Payton and Malone) :)

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Shaq makes any team into a contender. You can not say the same for Kobe. Shaq is the man and anyone who thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves.

15. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

He said that the media said that it was Kobe's team. He didn't say that Kobe said that it was his team.

r, c, p

16. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hypocrite or not, Shaq speaks the truth. Kobe should ease his way back, as Payton has asked him too. Shaw himself is really just asking the same: take it easy until you are healthy, then "do what you do." But I can't help but think that Shaq's contract extension--about which he has been pissed for weeks--is playing a huge role in these public barbs. It would be typical Shaq.

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Oh man, this is ****ing awesome. :D

IMPLOSION IMMINENT

18. Murdock

Murdock Member

IMPLOSION IMMINENT

When has a Phil Jackson coached team EVER Imploded?

Phil has established himself as the single greatest coach in the history of the game, and possibly the greatest single coach in the history of professional sports.. The one thing he has been able to do better than anyone else in history is command the respect of the most massive egos in the game.. This year will be no exception..

I wouldn't put this past Phil and the team pulling another mind game with the media and rest of the league...

19. AirNigeria

AirNigeria Contributing Member

People, people!....Are we actually falling for this?:rolleyes:

"Hey let's distract the whole world with our annual Shaq vs. Kobe drama, and while they think we're not focused, we laugh our way through the season all the way to another parade.:eek: See you all next year!;) Now we aren't talking about Kobe's trial? Doesn't all of thhis sound familiar? " '00-'02 "

-Just my thoughts

20. munco

munco Member

very awesome!