1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I don't see the Rockets doing this deal unless it gets them under the luxury tax this year. If Les has ordered Morey to cut salary, there is a huge financial incentive to have it take effect this year, not two years down the road.

That's why it has to be either Ely or Bowen as the extra player, unless we have already found someone with a trade exception to take Snyder off our hands in a separate deal.

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

This is a straight up dumb trade considering that we are in the middle of a playoff race. Bonzi has been integral several times when T-Mac was down and I expect his play to step up during the playoffs. I'd MUCH rather we not mortgage the chance to make some serious noise in the playoffs and the upcoming 2-3 years by including Brooks in a trade for Artest and signing him to an extension, than dumping James and bringing in a 35 yr old guard.

However if this were a part of a deal including Sacramento in which we get Artest and Jackson while trading Bonzi, Brooks and unloading James, I'm all for it.

3. mcgrady33090

mcgrady33090 Member

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I think the problem w/ Jackson's shooting % is shot selection. But on a team where everything is going to go thru Yao/Tmac he is not going to be able to jack up so many shots anyways. In fact, he'll probably get a ton of wide open looks. And without a doubt he will convert on open 3's at a higher clip than Rafer (this would be true for most any NBA guard of course).

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

stackhouse is THAT big of a difference for them right? shouldn't jkidd be more of a difference-maker to replace stackhouse for ONE game?

i'm not saying jkidd is bad for them, it just doesn't make them invincible if they were to keep harris.

i mean, paul went off on kidd for 29 and 11. it isn't like he's going to provide some ridiculous D along w/ some great O.

dallas and suns did it in desperation to the gasol trade.

i like that morey is doing everything possible, looking at all the options. if we end up getting someone, i'm sure it's a guy that can help us THIS year in our quest to win a championship.

6. Starscream

Starscream Member

if this is the best we can do is to get another over the hill guard instead of a three way trade to get that 3rd scorer we definately need to say hello to first round exit.

I am watching the Suns and Laker game now and see two solid championship constructed teams, both playing with playoff intensity with POWER rebounds, dunks, great sharp shooting, in control solid positional team plays.

Shaq will help the suns in the post season may hurt them in the regular season but he is a solid chmapionship leader they need in the playoffs.

If we face this intensity in the post season the way we are currently manifest with some small miniscial changes we will be destroyed by these type of teams.

Morey better get his ass of his seat and get that 3rd impact player whether it is artest or Miller or we are cooked.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're not going to address everything? Its merely 5 points that indicate why this would be a better trade for the Rockets at this point in time.

Additionally, Jackson is a better shooter than either Brooks, Bonzi, or Mike James... and that is EXACTLY what this team is lacking right now. Additionally, his percentages are skewed lower because he takes a lot of contested shots (but still can make a better percentage than Rafer... who gets a lot of open shots).

And Jackson, like Rafer, will get open shots on this team.... more open shots than he ever got in Sacramento or New Orleans.

8. Vivid

Vivid Member

We don't gain in the pocketbook... unless you mean we are gaining more salary.
    B Jackson 5.6 million
    R Butler 3.3 million

M James 5.6 million
    B Wells 2.2 million

we gain over a million in salary, compounds to 2 million over the lux cap. Plus Butler has two more years, Jackson one. James has two more years and Wells none. So we don't really gain anything in that regards.
    -V

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Then why make the trade? Mike James surely isnt taking away minutes from Brooks now. And the same thing could be said about Mike James a PROVEN outside shooter, liking his chances of getting comfortable with his shot.

*edit*
    thats what you're saying my bad :eek: I didnt read vivid's comment, only yours

#249 Shroopy2, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  10. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

this sucks as a straight up deal. Basically give Wells away.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

devean george is the difference maker.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I just said virtually the exact same thing... weird.

13. blackistan

blackistan Member

Dumbest trade ever if it goes through ill keep my fingers crossed

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I hope to God Ryan Bowen is not involved. That guy was only successful under Van Gundy.

Put Mo Pete in this deal, and I'm sold.

Out: Bonzi, MJ

In: Bjax, Mo Pete

The hornets get the bench they need, because Mo Pete hasnt given them much when he's started.

We get a wing we need, and a back-up pg we need for the playoffs.

Watch Bjax on defense..he doesn't back down...that's important down the road.

Cod

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Us vets think alike ;)

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

like it was minnesota, not james?

18. startover

startover Member

If it's last year's Bonzi, I would love the deal.
    This year's? I hate and pray it not happening.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bonzi had ZERO points against the Kings just two games ago. He continues to miss FT's at a mind-numbing rate.

His inconsistency will hurt this team come playoff time.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member