1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 5 controversial calls against Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket2008, Mar 5, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My brother, I remember it as well

Easily the WORSE CALL IN ROCKETS HISTORY, this would have led to Rockets vs Bulls in the Finals , my soul tells me so

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/millennium_index.html

April 25, 1993

The Rockets needed to beat the Spurs to clinch the No. 2 seed in the 1993 Western Conference playoffs. They should have won, but a blown call gave them a 119-117 loss and home-court advantage for just the first round. The Rockets were leading 109-107 in the fourth quarter, when David Robinson tipped in a miss to send the game to overtime. Replays later showed the tip was after time had expired. In the 1993 Western Conference Semifinals, the Rockets lost 4-3 to the Seattle SuperSonics with the home team winning every game. Several Rockets players pointed to the San Antonio game as the inspiration for their 15-0 start to the 1993-94 season.

#21 tinman, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

On the Drexler game where he was thrown out, the ref never ref'd another game. jake O'donnell had a beef with Drexler. It was so obvious in that game. Drexler didn't even touch O'Donnell.

3. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Yeah, that's the worst one IMO because it was so obviously a matter of a ref letting personal dislike of a player control his actions. O'Donnell hated Clyde going back to those old Trailblazers teams and tried to torpedo the Rockets' playoff run by himself.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The fault with using the 'home court' logic is that if it is assumed the Rockets would have won the Seattle series by having home court then it also has to be assumed that the Rockets would have lost in the WCF because they would not have had home court.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Don't read it then. This is timely and of interest to others and also a good discussion point for calls that the Chronicle may have neglected.

6. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

The 1993 calls in OT and Robinson tip-in are the worst imo, because that year we owned the Bulls, tied the Suns series (1 home, 1 away win) and would've beaten the Sonics if it weren't for those calls in game 7 so it's not just the home court advantage.

I would've loved a title in 92-93 more than the 94-95 one, because we really owned the league that year despite injuries to Maxwell and Thorpe a bit. It was Rudy T's first full year, who should've won COY, we had an awesome post-ASB record with two 10+ game winning streaks and 94-95 in contrast was a very injury-riddled year, full of internal turmoil and I still cannot get over losing OT.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

How could I know to "not read it" until I have read it? :confused:

The thread title isn't even that descriptive. Also, the tooltip doesn't say all and omits most of the first post. Lastly, it's my opinion... why can't I offer it?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Instead of a twopeat.

Should've been a threepeat.

#28 Mr. Clutch, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  9. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

FIFY :grin:

10. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Would have been great to beat the Bulls and prevent all the doubts to our championship wins while Jordan went to play baseball.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also the call wasn't a subjective call, it was clearly after time expired.

Oh the pre instant replay days

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

"START THE TIME CLOCK!!!THEY HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED THE CLOCK!!!!! THEY HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED THE TIME CLOCK! WE GOT IT ANYWAYS TAKE IT IN TAKE IT IN TAKE IN!" Lol gotta love Gene Peterson.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Game 1 of last year's playoffs. Dwight was given his 6th foul with 10 seconds left. Freeland wrapped up Howard who was grabbing an offensive board. Freeland went on to hit 1/2 free throws and they won by 2. Howard could have made a free throw. Who knows. I think that drained our motivation.

14. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Decision to put Chandler Parson on Lillard.

15. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Damn some of ya'll are old as hell. Worst call I've seen in my era watching Rockets basketball was the Finely play out of bounds...It STILL makes my blood boil!!!! I hate Dallas because of it too. That's the only one that really comes to mind, the rest of em I'm over it.

16. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Jeez, shut up windbag

17. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Every time Terrance Williams didn't get the rock when he was on the court were terrible calls by the coaching staff.

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I thought the one in Game 6 of the '77 ECF (yes ECF) against Philadelphia at the Summit negated a John Lucas basket to take the lead very late, not tie. Philly ended up making two FTs and put the game out of reach by 3 (no 3 point line back then of course, making it a two-possession game with a couple of seconds left)