1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac says He'll Take less Money to Stay with Knicks.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Old Man Rock, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah I know it doesn't belong in the GARm. But since he hasn't passed his physical yet he is still a Rocket. Anyway I thought it it was interesting how dedicated he is to the Knicks after 1 day and much he shafted us after we help secure his family with multimillions , a good chunk of which he didn't earn. If he returns to old form and I think he will the Knicks may have been benefitted from this deal. Still what choice the Rockets . He cheated us and we weren't going to play him anymore so we got the best we could for him

New Knick Tracy McGrady said today he's willing to take less money to stay in New York if it means a chance to play with two other stars among the LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire quartet.

"I'm going to tell you guys like this: I'm a guy whose made a lot of money over my career. I could retire right now and retire financially. My kids can be fine. Money is not an issue," McGrady said. "These guys would bring in a LeBron and D-Wade, along with a Chris Bosh or a Stoudemire, I'd be a damn fool not to want to stay here.

"I would definitely embrace the opportunity where money is not an issue.''

McGrady, who will make his Knicks debut tomorrow if all the physicals from the trade clear, also said he feels James and other stars would be very interested in coming here for the "marketability'' and "big stage, bright lights.''

T-Mac, coming off microfracture knee surgery one year ago, feels he can be the same old T-Mac -- a seven-time All-Star.

"Just stay tuned,'' McGrady said. "This is not the same Tracy from last saeson when I was hobbling oe one leg. That's not going to be me. I'm a lot more explosive a lot more confident in my leg.''

"I'm pretty close to being 100 percent,'' McGrady added. "With surgery, I know Allan Houston had it. A lot of guys who had surgery ended their careers. I've worked extremely hard to not allow myself to be one of those players where I can't prolong my career.''

Read more: Link

#1 Old Man Rock, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

By less money he probably means no less than $10 million lol.

3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Best of luck to Tmac....hope he stays healthy.....

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

That's nice. T-Mac no longer a Rocket though. Him and any news about him belongs in the dish. I can tell that will be hard getting used to.

5. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

i had a dream last night. Tmac was in a knicks jersey and he went for an open layup and couldnt get to the rim. lost all explosiveness. coincidence? or forshadowing?

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Ah, so only a 21 million dollar salary. Oh, the sacrifices that must be made. :rolleyes:

< Good. >

7. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Uhhhh i'm pretty sure he didn't have to say this. There is absolutely no way he gets a big contract. MLE, if it still exists, is what he can expect.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He hasn't passed his physical yet. Wouldn't that be depressing.

Headline Tmac fails physical all bets are off!

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What does he mean by less money? I don't think anyone in the league would offer him even a MLE deal at this point would they?

It's easy for a broken down vet to say he'll play for less money when nobody wants to pay him "more" money anyway.

Still, good luck to T-Mac. He helped reinvigorate a fanbase here so I wish him well.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am thinking he means the MLE

give FA 1 and FA2 the max the knicks become capped out offer tmac the MLE

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They can't do that. Because they will be under the cap when FA begins they will not be able to offer the MLE.

You can't use cap space to sign players AND an MLE.

12. Kate81

Kate81 Member

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a 16/5/5 player for NY the rest of this season. He looked pretty good physically for a guy who had microfracture less than a year before when he played briefly this season. His conditioning, quickness and explosiveness looked pretty good to me and will only get better. I'm glad he's gone but I think he can contribute quite a bit with the right team.

I just don't think NY is going to get Lebron or Wade much less Lebron, Wade AND Chris Bosh (since that's impossible). So I don't see him staying in NY. He'll wait things out and see what team(s) have the best chance of getting a title next season and see if he can't ride coattails to a Championship there. I doubt LA would want him but I could see Miami or Cleveland trying to acquire him provided their stars don't leave. I could also see SA making a run at him if he comes cheap enough. They seem to be in "sign a geezer" mode over the last two years trying to make one more run with Duncan.

Either way, good luck and goodbye, McGrady.

14. amaru

amaru Member

Well......I read somewhere that McGrady has made around 180 million for his career.

Yea.......money isn't an object when you've made that much lol.

If it is managed correctly, his great great grandkids shouldn't have to work.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Careful...you're being logical.

I agree with you, by the way. I hope he does well.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Of course he'll take less money than he made this season. That goes without saying. Though I think he is saying that if 2 max guys go to the Knicks, he'll take less money to stay there than take a more lucrative offer from another team.

I don't think NY will really get 2 headliners. But, I'd actually love to see it: Lebron, Wade, McGrady, Lee, etc in MSG. NY has been pathetic for too long.

17. Pocket Rockets

I'm sure NY would still allow the trade to finalize since it's their decision.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Starting to become Donnie Walsh's 2010 free agency advertising department. Lousy bum.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Sadly, I think he is still a better player than Martin.

20. Asian Sensation

Great grandkids only? More like any of his b*stard offspring dawning the name Mcgrady.