1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on the new Supra?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, May 16, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the new Supra is controversial for all the wrong reasons. And that primarily stems from the MKIV Supra being highly overrated in stock form. People remember the 700 hp builds and the Fast and Furious builds but in stock form the car was a moderately fast grand tourer that wasn't some sort of track beast. People loved how easy it was to boost power with stock internals for a 2JZ. The same can be said for modern BMW turbo engines.

My favorite aspect of the new Supra is the chassis. Somehow with an inline 6, they managed the car to have a lower center of gravity than the likes of Caymans and the BRZ both of which have flat motors. The Supra also has a wider stance while having a shorter wheel base than the small BRZ which means the car absolutely loves to rotate. Reviewers who have extensively driven new BMW M cars and the new Supra are stating that the new Supra easily outhandles any M BMW which makes sense as most BMW M cars are based on less rigid higher center of gravity sedan platforms while the Supra is based on a bespoke dedicated sports car platform that has a significantly more rigid chassis with a lower center of gravity along with being lighter than any M car. But it also is a torque monster like modern BMW M cars with a wide power band so it's very easy to initiate a slide. It has the best of both worlds.

The only glaring negative is no manual option at release. Though Toyota engineers have hinted at a future manual release. I'm predicting a manual will come out for this car in its 2nd or 3rd year.

At 50 grand, is there a car that has a better combination of handling and power? The new Camaro chassis is pretty impressive. I honestly don't know. Thought?

Some initial first impressions from people who've tracked the car:

#1 fchowd0311, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

As a guy without a car avatar, I like it.

1. It's a Toyota
    2. It's $50k, which means in a few years it will probably be a very affordable lightly used car (what I buy)
    3. Supra was my 'dream car' in High School (I was very realistic about my dreams)
    4. It looks badass
    5. It will kill me

LFE171, KingCheetah and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. fchowd0311

That last point is definitely something many have to consider. Most reviewers were surprised how the new Supra on stock set up has virtually no safety understeer. Even BMW M cars have some level of initial safety understeer. It's a very edgy car that is fun at the limit but you have to know what you are doing.

KingCheetah likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I like the look a lot -- I don't really care about the BMW internals. As you mentioned people reviewing it have been really surprised by how much you are on the edge when you push it. It's not squirrelly like an over powered Mustang, but you need to know what you are doing to drive it hard.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  5. biff17

biff17 Member

Don't like the styling was a big fan of the last models.

I like a bigger sports car.

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

7. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Ugly.. would rather have a 90’s model

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

looks too damn small. Looks likea great car for people 5'5 and below

9. fchowd0311

Other than you not being able to fit in them why would you want more weight in your sports cars?

10. fchowd0311

Matt Farrah is 6'3" and still had 1 inch of room left from his head to the roof.

11. fchowd0311

Nostalgia clouding objectivity?

#11 fchowd0311, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

His knees were to his chin

13. fchowd0311

He didn't look that crushed in. He said it wasn't optimal for him but it still was livable and he's 6'3" and large.

So someone who's 5'11" and not very round can very comfortably fit in the car. You don't have to be 5'5" as you've said to be comfortable in the car. Someone like me who's on the shorter side, 5'9", and lean will definitely have no problems.

14. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Whatever the reason, he doesn't care for it. You asked a question and he answered it.

To me, it looks like an older model Z4 with a tacky body kit. Not my size or style, but that's just my opinion. I mean I wouldnt kick it out of my driveway, but I would trade it in as a down payment for a Shelby Raptor in blue please.

Performance numbers wouldn't make a difference for me at this point in my life. My days of fast cars are over. I'm perfectly happy with my ofd f150 fx4. It gets me up and down south padre through soft sand, and tows my boat without batting an eye.

likestohypeguy and biff17 like this.
  15. biff17

biff17 Member

I am not a track guy and don't care about most performance numbers.

I guess I am more of a grand tourer type of guy.

The last Supra was just a much better looking care IMO.

16. biff17

biff17 Member

Or maybe people like different things?

I like clean lines not a fan of all the cutouts, you seem to be taking this personal.

Why?

Sajan likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Why do you find disagreement of an opinion so hostile?

That's the point of a discussion board.

18. fchowd0311

I seriously don't think you understand the point of a discussion board. You think me expressing my counter opinion is some sort of hostile action?

19. biff17

biff17 Member

Oh I understand and you are definitely coming off as touchy.

I seem to not be the only one to feel this way.

Why are you challenging posters for their opinions?

Falcons Talon likes this.
  20. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Because its his opinion and he's entitled to it. Why does it matter to you so much that he does not care for it? Just buy it and enjoy it.

biff17 likes this.