1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Player +/- Stat from last game is shocking

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Oct 27, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DISCLAIMER: I'm probably the biggest critic on the BBS of using Player +/- of any kind. However, as we all know, Team +/- (point differential) is probably the best simple indicator of final playoff rankings out there. So, in math terms, a mythical player who plays all 48 minutes will have a +/- equal to the team's point differential. Thus, the closer a franchise player is to a full 48mins, the closer his +/- should track to total team pt differential. Any glaring net differences between team +/- and high minute franchise players like Harden has some statistical interest to me (versus applying this to role players, which is largely meaningless, imo).​

So, that said

• Harden had a +10 in 37 minutes
    • Rockets had a -16 in 11 minutes that he sat
    • He played the entire 1st Q and 3rd Q. We were outscored by 9pts from Start of 4th to 7:11 when he came back in.
    • Gordon had 6 minutes of rest at end of 3rd, and we still did a -9 in that first 5 minutes of 4th.
    I have none, yet (just one game :D), other than the obvious that we are very fragile to losing starters to injury. And also to share how I like to look for high minute players with a significant +/- than the game score. Ariza had several games like this last year.

also, it's not common around the league to play entire quarters like that, then rest 6 minutes to start next quarters. Coaches usually sit stars at same time. But I guess,

fwiw: Mozgov did not play from 6 minutes of 3rd to end of game. Lakers went heavy on small ball against us with young guns.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah but turnovers.

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My critique last game was why go away from Capella in favor of Nene to close out the game. Capella was playing great, rebounding well, and we were having zero problems scoring the ball.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

My takeaway would be what I've said for a couple years...
    If you're gonna run everything through Harden - don't be shocked when it falls to crap when he sits...
    Until this team finds some semblance of balance we will only go as far as Harden can carry us... You can't have everybody standing around watching Harden the majority of the game - and then flick a switch and have everybody become aggressive and be in the flow because Harden is sitting...
    It's a philosophical thing... Do you want to run an Allen Iverson type team or do you want to run a championship Pistons team...
    If you're gonna put all your eggs in one basket...
    Just because Harden is the best option, doesn't mean he should be the only option...

Easy, BigMaloe, leebigez and 3 others like this.
  5. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Totally agree with you. I think it may just take a little time for Gordon to take over some playmaking duties and Anderson to look for creating his own shot. I definitely think a trade is needed to bring in another legitimate player that can do his own thing when needed. Gotta have balance out there.

6. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Rudy Gay. Besides, Ariza is an eyesore on offense

oakdogg likes this.
  7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Mike Antonio panicked when Capela got the ball stripped from him in the 4th.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

My takeaway is simple.

1. Ball got sticky towards the end.
    2. We ran out of juice.
    3. We were ****ing hyperventilating in the last few possessions

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We are talking 11 minutes here. And MDA did indeed have the 2nd unit running the 1st unit plays ... arguably with a little more action. because action to get guys like Dekker open sometimes takes more picks/cuts.

I think we will see the 2nd unit finding an identity consistent with the plays the first unit runs. I did see more 21 Series with Gordon when Harden sat, but that's to be expected. Seems like MDA doesn't want to give defenses an easier shot at trapping Harden against the sideline, which is the one weakness of 21/Pistol.

bottomline: I have confidence MDA will give the 2nd unit an identity within his system...with easy ways to score. The problem is: can they execute it. Are they good enough.

10. dragician

dragician Member

Are we just going to ignore the genius of the new Lakers coach?

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I know you're being sarcastic but I thought he had this young team playing with a lot of poise.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

DAngelo Russell and and Randle look good, but the rest of the team sucks.

Nick Young and Mozgov are awful

13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Oh I agree - Clarkson played really well too - but I'm not talking about the level of talent on the Lakers team. In fact, that lack of talent illustrates my point. Walton had that group of bottom feeders and rookies playing like a poised veteran bunch in the second half - and in the first half they kept pace with us without any problem.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

JVG was right all along. It's the same problem the Thunder will have. There are no playmakers on the team and when push comes to shove, who can go get their shot when the mvp's are off the court. If we had even one Livingston, one Batum, or just even a Chandler Parsons we would be much better off.

DreamShook likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Watching Trevor Ariza in a PnR with Capela last night gave me heart palpitations. Capela was open for lobs but Ariza has zero playmaking abilities.

Just one more person who can make a play for someone else would help this team immeasurably. Pablo Prigini could have been that guy; he does so much without making a shot. Dmo can be that guy.

Remlap likes this.
  16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Few teams have won a championship like the Pistons. That was like an anomaly.

17. Remlap

Remlap Member

Sorry, but we dropped an anchor when we inserted Tyler Ennis into the game.
    He brings NOTHING.
    Let's at least try Brown? At least he can score.
    So maybe Harden/KJ with starters and Brown/Gordo with 2nd unit to keep some playmaking alive

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

We should have gotten a player like Ramon Sessions for the second unit to fill in for Harden. Cheapest way to create offense. He sucks at D but what Rocket doesn't. I think Gordon is overrated as a creator at this stage.

19. Remlap

Remlap Member

I remember Anderson did the VERY same on one play in the 4th I believe it was.
    Tried to drive by his man to the left side of the basket. Double teamed by his man and whoever was in the middle.
    Capela was ALL ALONE under the basket and I think he tried to put up a shot instead of lobbing it to Capela.
    These guys gotta have more court awareness in this system. ANY system for that matter

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I tend to agree. Gordon didn't seem like he was looking to pass at all last night.