1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things that you find offensive.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsPimp, Aug 7, 2000.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'm usually a fairly open minded guy, but have very recently been made aware that my previous signature was offensive to some people on this BBS and was kindly asked to remove it. In case anyone is wondering, my signature was a quote from a South Park episode. I really didn't think it was all that terrible, so I wanted to know, what are some other things that you all find offensive?

p*rn?
    Vulgar language?
    Censorship? <--- obviously my pick
    Violent movies?
    The Backstreet Boys? [​IMG]

------------------
    Don't you have anything better to do?

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Philosophically, I would like to say "nothing" because even things we find offensive teach us something and so, by definition, really can't offend us, just teach us. But, that seems a little pompous, doesn't it? Or does it, rimbaud? [​IMG]

So, I'll go with:

Racism
    Hate crimes
    Lack of tolerance
    Arrogance
    Inconsiderate behavior

Oh, and an out of tune guitar with too much distortion on it.

By the way, Brian Kagy, can I borrow your tuner? [​IMG]

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Anyone who sneezes on a buffett [​IMG]

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
    ---George Carlin

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I have to go with racism and ignorance.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

5. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

your inability to hit a jumper... oohhyoouu!!

------------------
    i am rather like a mosquito in a nudist camp..i know what i ought to do but i don't know where to begin...

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I am offended by other people's top-10 lists, but here's mine.

10. I am offended by pimps who try to befriend me,

9. I'm offended by anyone who violates people by superimposing their heads onto other people's bodies.

8. I am offended by bandwagoners who change their bookmarks from .com to .net just because everyone else is doing it.

7. I am offended by Alt-F4 in the chat room. (Those things should be turned off, dammit Clutch.)

6. I am offended by people dribbling a basketball off my forehead when I'm defending them, like that's got to be traveling or something,

5. I am offended by people who pass to themselves and dunk over me, like that scores more points,

4. I am offended by people with more posts than me who think that means something.

3. I am offended by Clutch not trusting us enough to turn the flood control off, (that reminds me, why can't we vote more than once),

2. I am offended by multiple smileys that contradict each other,

1. Oh yes, I am offended by lard.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Aside from racism, hate crimes and Mango I would have to say I am offended that HeyP finds any of those things on his list offensive.

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

My wife's list:

- People who wear too much cologne or perfume.
    - People who stand too close.
    - Drivers who don't use turnsignals.
    - When a cheese pizza has too much cheese and too little tomato sauce.
    - Songs cut off at the end by DJ's - particularly Here Comes the Sun and Layla (tweet tweet)
    - Songs that end in a disonnant or unresolved chord.
    - Luxury automobile drivers who take up two spaces to avoid getting their car scratched.
    - People who don't water their plants.
    - People who take too much food at a buffet and don't eat it all.
    - Most of all, people who drive 1997 Silver Honda Accords too fast in the left hand lane [​IMG]

This category reminds me of a Simpson's line:

Principal Skinner (to Ms. Crabapple): I've always admired your ability to be offended by broad social trends.

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

there are a lot of things that annoy me, but offensive?

Not much. I think I would have to go with Jeff's list.

except the guitar tuning part.

you can add Rimmy and the boobpartner.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'm offended that sirhangover has the nerve to call me out on my jumper yet hasn't made it back to the basketball court in 2 months.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Don't you have anything better to do?

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Things that "offend" me:

That 1997 Silver Honda Accord who keeps going slow in front of me. [​IMG]

Ignorant people at buffets - i.e. sneezing, using their hands, using dirty plates, leaving a ginormous mess behind them.

People with no sense of humor. Ugh...

Racism - This I have the least tolerance for.

Rude people - order before women, interrupt people, etc.

Bad drivers - too slow, too fast, no signals, run red lights, don't put their kids in child seats, etc.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

People who talk about things they know nothing about (sometimes myself included).

People that don't know how to bait a fish hook.

TV

Intolerance

Red Meat

Slander

------------------

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Racism
    Mango
    Ignorance
    Mango
    Terrorism

Did I mention Mango [​IMG]

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

14. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

(Yeah, like Kagy wasn't going to chime in on THIS one. I go around in a state of perpetual piss-off).

* People who lack basic manners and common courtesy. Sucking snot back down into your throat audibly while standing in line at a fast food restaurant-- bad manners. Scratching in public-- bad manners. Belching-- bad manners. Etc, etc, etc. I mean, didn't these people have parents?

* People who work in an environment where the dress-code is relaxed, and take advantage of that by dressing like slobs. Torn jeans, stained t-shirts, backwards baseball caps, and sandals are not appropriate attire for the corporate workplace.

* People who work in that same environment and decide to wear a shirt and tie to work, and then make a mockery out of the gesture by wearing 'Softer Side of Sears' ties, $20 dress shirts, and slacks by TuffSkins. Damn, if you're gonna dress up, at least do it right.

* Computer people who think that, because they have achieved a rudimentary knowledge of PC support, they're superior to people who call in for technical support. It's very depressing to see a 40-yr old making $12 an hour doing phone support, but it's 100 times worse when that same guy spends his break time ragging on "this stupid doctor" or "some idiot lawyer" whose computer was acting up. Those stupid doctors and idiot lawyers make a hell of a lot more money and perform a hell of a lot more valuable service than a computer tech support guy.

------------------
    I didn't use the cocaine to get high, I just liked the way it smelled.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

BK: I only own two suits. One is the one I wore at my wedding and the other I got at...you guessed it...Sears. [​IMG] It's a nice suit, actually.

That's the advantage of staying out of the evil corporate empire ( [​IMG] ). Gimme my t-shirts and backwards baseball caps all day. You can't honestly tell me you are more comfortable in that tie than I am in my shorts!

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

16. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff, your first statement is not pompous.
    Everything teaches.

Pardner - funny, funny.

BK - mean, mean. "Softer side of Sears" - that's funny.

I wholeheartedly agree about your last point.

Mine:

people who lack common decency/courtesy

people with jobs that deal with people who are not friendly (in other words, not good at dealing with people).

people who think that they are better than I am.

everyone else because I am better than they are. [​IMG]

people who make fun of others due to their physical deficiencies (ahem,...Crisco).

everything Jeff listed (except the guitar thing)

everything Jeff's wife listed (people who don't water their plants! - she and my wife would get along!)

------------------
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

17. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This thread. [​IMG]

I think there is a social pressure to list ignorance and racism as something one finds offensive, even when you don't mean it. On that note, how is ignorance offensive, if you think about it? It's not like the perpetrators can do anything about it since they literally don't know any better.

Anyway, racism actually does offend me usually, though I've got no problems with ignorance. More than anything though, I'm offended by presumption.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Kagy, I hope you mean belching in public because there's nothing I love more than releasing gas in the privacy of my own home.

[​IMG]

BTW, I wear flip-flops to work every now and then!

Juan, I'm not offended by ignorance. I'm offended by ignorant people who think they are intelligent.

And by Aggies.
    ------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited August 08, 2000).]

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I contend, you are not being completely truthful with yourself if you are not willing to admit everyone operates by stereotypes and generalizations to a certain degree. It is our human nature to do so. We are a racial species; let's not forget.

The individuality of people is sacred, and everyone should be treated like individuals. But expressions like the above (not just Blazergirl) that tend to say we should stop communicating in stereotypes and generalizations is avoiding our spoken language and the individual experiences that lie at the root of their use. Stereotypes and generalizations WILL happen; that is the nature of our language and individual experience. As Juan said, "negative presumptions" are want are offensive. Don't "presume" that the person using stereotypes means it in a denegrating way.

Have a little tolerance. Understand where your stereotypes came from, and try to understand where other people's stereotypes came from. Don't avoid them and pretend you don't have any.

As one of my all-time favorite speakers, Cornell West, says: "Race Matters"! Meaning, embrace race and let it thrive! And that means talking about it. Not just saying "racism offends me". How much racial bigotry offends you? When does stereotyping and generalizing cross the line into denegrating bigotry?

These are important and very difficult questions. Don't stop at saying I'm anti-racism. Tell me how tolerant you are to racial stereotypes, and racial matters.

I discussed this at length in another thread. I am offended that people still are ignorant to my treatise on race relations....hehe.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited August 08, 2000).]