1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things I have learned from listening to Right Wing Talk Radio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NMS is the Best, Jun 29, 2013.

1. NMS is the Best

I usually like to listen to right wing talk radio to and from school/work - mostly for entertainment. I've listed some things here I have learned from it....

1. There is only one kind of racism that exists in America today: racism against White people.

2. When the Obama administration lies or doesn't tell the whole story about something it is a huge story and is always Nixonian and worse than Watergate. But when the Bush administration lied to the American people to launch a unnecessary decade-long war in Iraq it was not a big deal at all.

3. It is Obama's fault that Iraq is friendly with Iran now. Yes - I heard this on the Dennis Prager show a few days ago. Even though Iraq's population is some 60% Shia and Bush invaded to establish a Democracy there Obama is at fault for them being friends. [fyi: I actually was shouting at my radio after hearing this because of how stupid it was. Are all Republicans this stupid?]

4. Obama is 'weak' on foreign policy. I don't know why he just is.

5. The government spying on us was super-cool when Bush was because he was a good, god-fearing Republican who loved America and whose only goal was to catch the terrorists. But when the government does the same under Obama it is a huge problem and a violation of our constitutional rights because Obama is evil and hates America. And apple pie.

6. Obamacare and Cap & Trade are evil Democrat ideas that destroy the free market. (don't tell anyone that Republicans first came up with them)

There are so many more truisms that right wing talk radio can teach you - there are just the ones I can remember for now. Maybe others can add more.

Just a small note - I consider myself a fiscal conservative. But from listening to what Republican candidates say and right wing radio talk hosts, I have realized how crazy they are when it comes to most everything else. Whenever I feel any dissatisfaction with Democrats, listening to right wing talk radio reminds why I continue to vote Democrat. Maybe someday a responsible Republican party can emerge that will drop the radical social conservatism, war-mongering, and racism. I am not holding my breath though....

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I detect bias.

1 person likes this.
  3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Facts have a liberal bias

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

"Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck are all morons. This is why I vote liberal"
    What happened to voting on a politician based on their substance instead of their party platform?

Everyone is socially conservative...until their rights to a wasteful lifestyle or their government subsidies get compromised, whether its tax breaks, direct contributions or indirect contributions.

Few were supportive of the post 911 secrecy programs. It was Obama who promised more transparency, but instead expanded these programs.

Its very common to ignore your teams faults and highlight the other teams downfalls. Americans are so polarized and the candidates in both parties are so much alike that I wonder why we bother having elections anymore. Our country would be better off if politicians were elected randomly than the people.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Another joke of a synopsis.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

What happened to Republican politicians that they let the party platform and their substance be defined by Limbaugh, Hannity, and Beck?

7. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

7) Obama hates freedom and america.

8. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Here is my big conspiracy theory. Rush, Palin, and Fox are all acutally liberals crafted by the Liberals to make conservatives look insane.

I'm JK, but would be kinda funny!

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What they say is actually ridiculous enough to believe they are actually trolling.

10. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

You didn't hear from me, but I heard from a very good source that Michael Berry is a moderate conservative and his show is an act. They say he is a nice and very reasonable guy...whatever gets you listeners/viewer. See: Skip Bayless

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

biased poster is biased

12. Ender00

Ender00 Member

I don't agree with everything they said, but there is always a grain of truth in everything. One thing for sure though, I have never seen a country accommodate so much to their non citizens and people who doesn't work as the US and I think that is the cause of many resentment from the conservative.

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

bigtexxx post of the year

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Confession: I really enjoyed listening to Rush Limbaugh during the Clinton years.

But after Bush was elected and Limbaugh defended the indefensible instead of going after him like he did Clinton, bye bye right-wing radio. His love affair with Newt Gingrich was disgusting.

15. NMS is the Best

Honest question - do you agree with any of the statements I have listed?

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Things I learned in the D&D: When unable to develop a rebuttal, deliberately misinterpret your opponent's position and argue against obvious misinterpretation. Maintain high level of smartassness throughout while insulting your opponent in a very dickish way, but not so blatantly that you can't later pretend you were never acting a dick. And, lastly, imply your opponent is a racist.

1 person likes this.
  17. NMS is the Best

I have heard all of these things while listening to right wing talk radio - I am not making this stuff up.

I don't consider Republicans my opponents. I do wish they would reform their party because America needs a viable opposition party to the Democrats.

Have you ever listened to Michael Berry? If not, listen to him everyday for a week and tell me he is not racist....

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't doubt you've heard strawman arguments on talk radio. I was simply pointing out that it is common practice here as well.

Opponent was a lazy way of saying "the individual with whom you are currently disagreeing on said issue."

Of course I've never listened to that guy, and I never will.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

So he's also gay?

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've listened to Limbaugh a lot over the years, and a bit here and there of some of the other Right-Wing talking radio heads, and what the OP said is dead center, right on target. It isn't bias, it's the truth. Rush used to be funny. Sometimes hilarious, but he's lost that humor over the last several years. I listened to him because he was funny, and it gave me a window into the thinking of the people he was primarily appealing to, the right-wing of his party. The more extreme his listeners and the party leadership seemed to get, the less funny Rush was.

You know what I think? He's in this largely for the money, he doesn't believe a great deal of what he says on air, and the more absurdly extreme that leadership and the minority in control have become, the more difficult it has been for him to maintain his sense of humor. He is easily the most influential of the Right-Wing/Republican radio talking heads, which is the main reason I still listen to him from time to time. Certainly not for the humor. As I said, he lost most of that long ago.

No foolin'. Know thy enemy, people.