1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Real Slim Shady

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, May 21, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

moe: just one note - no one ever accused Eminem of being God's gift to the music industry either. Not to inflate the "boy bands" and "girl singers" but Eminem isn't "singing" anyway. Personally, I don't find any reason to like any of them more than the other. Each is more about image and hype than music but they are all talented as well.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

2. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

I'm not a big "Slim Shady" fan either, but like Jeff, I can't deny his skillz. Same goes for the boy bands and the teen phenom's.

But man, Eminem has got to be the most offensive thing since South Park: The Movie [​IMG]

Azim da Dream

------------------
    True champions do not take their failures to heart and never let success go to their heads.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem is out on tuesday Its going to be good I hope he bashes Those stupid boy Bands and those teen age girl singers who cant sing worth Crap

------------------
    Dont do today what you can put of until tomorrow

4. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I think Eminem tells it like it is. But, I don't agree with him when he bashes other artists. I think they are all in the same boat and instead of bashing other artists, he should thank God that he lives in country that allows him to say what he says and get paid millions for it.

As for his skillz, the boy has them. His beats are sick. I am buying the CD. What can I tell you. I love the bass in ma face! [​IMG]

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Rap is for singers who can't sing

--John Entwistle, bass player for The Who

Eminem?

No offense, but....*YAWN*

If I wanted to listen to someone yell at me, I'd talk to my Mother!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    Bring It!!

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

His beats? You mean 'the other people's beats that he uses', don't you?

His lyrics are clever. I'll admit that.

------------------
    He's a center! He's a guard! He's seven feet of unbridled talent. He slices, dices, and can even cut through a TIN CAN!

He's Kelvin Cato, and he can be yours for a low low price!

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Brian - LOL! Actually, in all fairness to him an other rappers, the "beats" usually are man-made loops that their producers do for them. Usually the loops that are sampled are musical hooks more than actual drum grooves mainly because the drum grooves tend to be a little out-of-date production-wise.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

8. BrianKagy

Oh, I know that, but what I meant was simply that whether you sample John Bonham or pay him $50,000 to cut a track for you, it's not 'your' beat just because you rap bad poetry overtop of it.

Maybe Bonham wasn't the best example. You can't exactly pay him to do much of anything anymore. Although, I hear he is a champ at the 'Quiet Game'.

------------------
    He's a center! He's a guard! He's seven feet of unbridled talent. He slices, dices, and can even cut through a TIN CAN!

He's Kelvin Cato, and he can be yours for a low low price!

9. JCBlazersGirl33

Is it true Christina Aguilara is suing him?

I'm a big fan of BSB and N Sync and Will smith, but hey, i die lauhing when I hear his songs. You have to have some one in every field who tells it like it is.

Eminem in that respect reminds me of Barkley. Love him or hate him, he's damn funny. [​IMG]

------------------
    It's an absolute warzone in my house; I live with Rocket fans, Knick fans, and Laker fans.

10. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Except for the very, very few, all musicians copy beats from each other.

Eminem is da bomb. It was pumpin' on the way home today.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

11. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

No, Barkley has class. Charles is also the leagues all-time greatest power forward while eminem is a weak, unoriginal rapper. Plus just one of Chuck's quotes is better than an entire album from eminem.

------------------
    THE DEAN HAS WRITTEN

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Almu: sorry, but that just is not true. Granted, in pop music, you would be hard pressed to find something COMPLETELY original because we are all the sum of our influences, but "most musicians" certainly do not swipe beats from other musicians.

In fact, it is actually the other way around. Now, if you are strictly talking about hip hop and rap, you are correct, but not so for everything else.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Hey let a poor white boy have has fun . Lol Its not like the return of Vanilla Ice

------------------
    Proud owner of 271 different Hakeem Olajuwon Basketball cards

14. BrianKagy

Right, Jeff. A classic rock n roll song in 4/4 time is going to have a pretty standard rhythm to it-- but that's not the same thing as outright plagiarism. Throw in the individual nuances in the drummer, and it's completely different.

PS: New band for you-- heard 'Lonelyland' yet...? It's a Bob Schneider (the Scabs) side project. I've ordered the album and am eagerly anticipating its arrival, doing nothing but sitting in the dark and waiting, waiting, waiting.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Eminem wrote the lyrics about Christina after she did a What a Girl Wants special on MTV. She said that Eminem got married to the same girl he talked about killing in another song then went off about how women should not accept domestic violence. Christina wanted to sue Eminem just like his mother but her record company stopped her. No one else got pissed off and Eminem doesn't hate Christina personally. Fred Durst even appears in his video. I learned alot about Eminem over this weekend and I'll check out his CD.

------------------
    It's all good!

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Thats why he is so PO'ed about her in the song ,Who is Fred Durst?

------------------
    Proud owner of 271 different Hakeem Olajuwon Basketball cards

17. BrianKagy

He's the lead screamer for Limp Bizkit. He's not the one with the trick contact lenses.

18. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i like m&m's but i think i prefer reeses pieces...

------------------

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Uh, Brian, you know I love you (in a BBS poster/brotherly kind of way), but how can you possibly like the music of that piece of crap band known as The Scabs/Ugly Americans/Lonelyland, or whatever the hell they are calling themselves this week. The ONLY good thing about that band is that they draw lots of women to their shows. Their music, however, IMHO, absolutely SUCKS (and we know, opinions are like a$$holes...). I have no respect for old men musicians who try to hang onto their youth by playing whatever type of music is on the radio at the moment. I went to school with their bass player, so I know what I'm talking about when I mean OLD [​IMG]! Old men posing as youngsters is exactly the reason why I haven't purchased a Rolling Stones record since "Some Girls". Someone needs to tell The Scabs/Ugly Americans/Lonelyland that the Red Hot Chili Peppers don't "rule" anymore, and they need to get a freakin' LIFE!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    Bring It!!

[This message has been edited by RocketMan Tex (edited May 24, 2000).]

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lead vocalist in the group, Limp Bizkit.

------------------
    ?