1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

The Official Adrian Peterson Countdown

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by lexled, Sep 25, 2006.

1. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

Wow, do the Texans suck! They may be even worse than they were last year and that is a hard feat to accomplish. Im a season ticket holder. I went to the first game vs Phili with moderate expectations, only to see them shattered and stepped on the past 3 weeks. This team is a joke. I gave the Redskins tickes to customers, and it took me 3 hours to find a customer that would take the tickets! You know its bad when people turn down free NFL tickets. The only reason I was able to give them away finally was because the customers wife was a Redskin fan.

What a collossal idiot move not taking Bush. After all, why would you want to energize your fan base? Take Wiiliams and alienate them instead. Nice move morons.

After looking at our schedule this morning, we may win 2 games this year. I emphasize MAY.

The question: will the Texans be smart enough (oxymoron) to draft Adrian Peterson with the #1 pick? Given thier draft bungles, I doubt it.

As Richard Justice said in his blog: Let the Adrian Peterson countdown begin. Whats sad is that its beginning so early but the writing is on the wall.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Didn't we have one of these for Reggie Bush too?

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You must not remember last year. I'm not saying they look great or anything, but I feel that last year they were much better. And if you think they're worse this year, you should know that they should go defense with their first pick since they currently have a chance at being one of the worst all-time defensively.

4. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

last yr 2-14 drafted Mario Williams :rolleyes:

this yr 1-15 drafted Adrian Peterson

TIME TO TANK ..... they can't mess up again? can they :rolleyes:

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Did you even watch the game yesterday? Our offense is no Indy, but it is when you compare it to our defense.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i think they look worse than last year, too. they can't play within 14 points of their opponent...they're on pace to SHATTER the record for most yards given up in a season.

it's sad...and i never would have expected this. but i truly think they're worse than last season, from what i've seen so far.

7. Luckyazn

Wouldnt it be CRAAAAZY if we ended up with 3 #1 draft pick in 5yrs and still can't have a winning season. Sad to say it but I think we are the WORST TEAM right now ... SF and Tenn could probably beat us right now. VY would look like Vick and Alex Smith would look like John Elway vs our D. :rolleyes:

2002 David Carr #1
    2006 Mario William #1
    2007 Adrian Peterson #1

2007 record 5-11 :rolleyes:

8. MadMax

I said it in another thread...but this thread is more appropriate for it:

The Texans have holes EVERYWHERE. Literally, there is no part of the team that doesn't need serious updgrading.

With that in mind, take the best available talent in the draft...no matter the position. There is nothing you don't need...just go get the guys you feel are best. Don't worry about systems and who fits where. Just draft talent. Unfortunately, that's where we are, now.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

We have so many needs, one pick isn't going to help...We need a cover corner, we need a pass rush, we need an O-Line, etc...

When will it end...

Whew, I'm done...AP would be a good pick up but it wouldn't matter because our O-Line sucks...It also doesn't help that Carr sucks too...

10. Luckyazn

Good players: AJ, DRod, DRyans

Sorry overpaid players: Rest of team :rolleyes:

11. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Now here's to you Mr. Casserly
    Heaven holds a place for those who pray, hey hey hey

Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon.
    Going to watch the Texans play.
    Laugh about it, shout about it
    When you've got to choose
    Every way you look at this you lose.

Now here's to you Mr. Casserly
    Jesus loves you more than you will know.
    God bless you, please Mr. Casserly
    Heaven holds a place for those who pray,
    Hey, hey, hey

12. Major

Major Member

There was a statistical analysis done several years ago and having lots of high draft picks on your team was generally not an indicator of future success. A team like Indy is an exception with Edge/Manning, but teams like New England and Pittsburgh who've had consistent success the last few years don't have a lot of top-5 type picks in them. (obviously they don't have that opportunity because they were already decent, but the study accounted for that)

The reason is that if you have a few high picks, you tie up a lot of valuable salary cap space in just a few players, and the NFL is about being good in all areas rather than necessarily great (or at least, expensive great) in a few positions. That's my biggest reason for not wanting to throw so much money into a flaky position like running back. Of course, that assumes Mario Williams lives up to his expectations.

If the Texans are at the top of the draft this year, they need to seriously consider trading down rather than having so much tied into 3 #1 picks.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yep, Adrian Peterson would be the perfect player to fix our sh!tty defense.

14. Summer Song Giver

Dude, someone lock this thread, we can not allow Texans mangement to know who we want or they will for sure take someone else. Lock this baby and I will go open the diversionary "Countdown to Brady Quinn" thread.

15. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Who were our last 4 first round picks? MW, T Johnson, Drob, and Babin? And didn't we trade a couple of first day picks for P Buch? Just b/c you are wasting all your early picks on D, doesn't mean they will be good.
    This team needs some great players on both sides of the ball. If AP is on the board, you take him or you trade down.

16. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well I don't see us being the worst team in football so I think all this number one pick talk needs to go away until we play 7-8 games.

17. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

What about good offense is your best defense? We took a D player with the #1 pick this year, when we could have used a 4th or 5th round pick to pick a defensive end that can produce just as much as Mario.

A good running game is paramount. It eats time and keeps your defense off the field, which is exactly what we need. Adrian Peterson is the logical choice.

Defense can be built without using #1 picks. When you have the #1pick, it should be used to take the best player out there, not to address a need.

If the Texans get the #1 pick again and blow it, again, Im selling my season tickets.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guess we'll just have to disagree. I do think our defense is worse, but not our offense. You know how people always argue that an offense needs to stay out on the field to rest the defense? I think the flipside to that is that the defense needs to do something to take the pressure off the offense. That's our problem right now. The offense is under way too much pressure to do something because our defense is so terrible. I see a lot of potential in our offense, I think they look much better than last year's.

Honestly, I think we're all forgetting just how downright horrible they were last year on both sides of the ball.

19. MadMax

i think our passing game is better. no doubt there. i think our running game looks the same. but for all the great passer ratings, they still can't put the ball in the end zone when it matters. they were in games last year. so far, they haven't been in a game.

more importantly..the defense is worse. they're that much worse, i think.

20. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

please change the title of this thread to "The Official Texans Get the #1 Pick Again and Pass Up on Adrian Peterson Because Their Front Office is Clueless Countdown"