1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The next superstar wing.....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jul 6, 2018.

1. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

I don't need to watch a highlight video. I'm very familiar with Justise. I've watched a lot of his career. If his handles were that good then the Heat wouldn't have relied so much on guys like James Johnson to create. He's not there yet. There's a reason why their offense relies on a lot of motion and down screens. The Heat lacked playmakers; their offense struggled at times because of it. In the playoffs, the Sixers were able to dominate stretches defensively because of the lack of consistent playmakers on the Heat. You're vastly overexaggerating his offensive ability. I have no doubt that he'll improve in that area this off-season but to where he's consistently doing so and creating for others? I'm not sure. I'd like to see it happen, but it seems unlikely. But that's what it would take for him to become a superstar. The other aspects of his game will lend him to become an elite level role player, however.

What are you realistically expecting from him next year? #'s wise?

2. munco

munco Member

He's good but he's been in the league a few years now. Usually by this time the guy is already a star.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

tatum has basically peaked. won't be able to run an offense. will regress with less freedom to take crazy shots when kyrie and hayward come back.

BigShasta likes this.
  4. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Tatum is extremely developed for a rookie but I've seen a couple people say he's "peaked." Ridiculous statement to make. He's only 20 and the team will be his in a few years. He's in a great situation right now where he's had high level experience in the playoffs. Now he can take a step back and do whatever's asked of him. There's A LOT he can get better at.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i should've probably put the [hot] [/take] tags on that. since he plays for a boston sports team, i'm sure he'll surpass michael jordan one day, but objectively just looking at him he seems like a guy who simply had the game "slow down" for him really early and has the skills part of the game already developed. sometimes that happens for guys quickly, a typical trajectory of improvement is assumed, but the trajectory typically is caused by the game slowing down and finesse skills being perfected.

it's the guys who show freakish athleticism or other skills (like simmons passing or mitchell's scoring binges) and are just waiting for their finesse skills or understanding of the game to catch up and harness their other abilities. tatum definitely has length and athleticism, but he doesn't feel like a 7-8 assist guy or a guy who wants to volume score like mitchell. also, taking a step back would worry me. if he really is the next star, he needs to be upping his game to 22-23 ppg, not trying to fit in with hayward/irving and only get 17 ppg. sometimes just the experience of becoming that dependable volume scorer makes you realize you can do it. taking a step back may lead him down a "just fit in" path.

but we shall see. players tend to look good under brad stevens so i'm sure he'll do well.

malakas likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The single most important aspect of projecting a superstar is the ability to get to the freethrow line.

Justice Winslow has a career .475 TS% and a career 2.1 FTA a game (PER36!!!!!!)

He will be lucky to have a career as prestigious as Trevor Ariza's.

vlaurelio and Williamson like this.
  7. Asian Sensation

I like it.... cause he’s a not so obvious pick for most. I can see the talent though and I think this is the year where he’ll really make a big leap.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  8. Asian Sensation

I’ll take who is Jimmy G. Buckets for $600, Alex

Ziggy likes this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Define “next”. Define “superstar”.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

well, not Wiggins...

11. lionaire

lionaire Member

I respect your opinion but yikes what a terrible take

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good call if true. So... 1 guy? I feel like his trajectory is closer to James Posey than a franchise player.

13. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Yes im taking booker over every young player in the league. No doubt about it. The leagues about shooting and spacing. Dude dropped 70 in a game as a child

14. Fantasma Negro

#34 Fantasma Negro, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Ok this is the post that confirms Holic is trolling us all

lmao

Williamson and RudyTBag like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I'll take Jaylen Brown over Winslow. Ainge has to be counting his lucky stars he did not give up all of those draft picks to the Hornets for Winslow.

plutoblue11 and A_3PO like this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Justice Winslow's about to show the world he's on Durant's level.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The Warriors' quest for a perfect season continues.

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’ve already bought my Tatum jersey. He’s gonna be the next truth

plutoblue11 likes this.