1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA Offseason List - article forecasting Rox or the Spurs in the finals (charts/stats incl)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abigwreck, Aug 28, 2013.

1. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

http://wagesofwins.com/2013/08/26/the-nba-offseason-list-part-4-the-last-dress-rehersal/

I just came across this article and it was so detailed that I had to post it. I'll just quote the Rockets relevant portions and post some of the graphs, but I encourage you to check it out in it's entirety.

I noticed some strange projections for our team, but haven't gone through other ones as well. What do yall think, sound projections, we'll be in the Finals? Or are there too many anomalies for it to hold water for you?

I'll start with the last line in the article
    I found it interesting that he has Beverly being listed as more valuable (wins paid for) then Parsons even. Not to start a Lin bashing thread, because I like Lin, but it's crazy how he has him listed as one of the worst Wins produced Vs Paid for players in the league....and at only a projected 16 MPG.

Greg Smith is listed as a better value then Asik as well.

2. rocketseagles07

doesn't wages of wins also have the Pistons finishing 2nd in the east?

3. NotChandlerParsons

Wages of Wins has us in the finals? Nice jinx.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Somewhat troubling that this model doesn't seem to predict us very well.

If I am reading this right, last year our actual wins was far less than the model predicted (5 wins less) which is a deviation larger than most other teams.

Also, 59 - 73 wins prediction, that seems overly optimistic.

5. bmd

bmd Member

I don't know what the **** any of this means.

2 people like this.
  6. bmd

bmd Member

The 60 wins says "wins produced"... not "wins projected".

I don't know what the **** "wins produced" means.

7. bmd

bmd Member

Can you explain this stuff OP to give it some context for those of us who are just looking at a bunch of meaningless numbers?

8. bmd

bmd Member

That should say 50 wins. I can't edit and I typed it wrong.

9. CKent

CKent Member

I believe our actual wins were less than the 'wins produced.' Morey has been on record saying similar in that our record was on the low end of what a team that outscores its opponents by as much as we did over the course of the season should theoretically win.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I understand this article very well, but I am going out to dinner. I will explain it when I get back if anyone is interested.

11. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Dinner at 3:30, how old are you?

12. DunKingDanny

DunKingDanny Contributing Member

Glad I'm not the only one :eek: lol

13. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

Found it at work, so I just skimmed it a bit as well :eek:

I will go through it more when I get home and give a more meaningful synopsis once I really look at the numbers.

14. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

All you have to know is that they project Dallas(44.3) and Utah(43.6) to have the 6th and 7th most wins(projected wins nominal) in the west.

15. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Also, Philly at 13th in league. They seem headed for one of the worst records in the league.

16. bmd

bmd Member

Okay, I've gone back and read more carefully instead of just skimming it like I did earlier.

And I have to say, the "wins produced" statistic has been pretty dead on. He's within 5 wins for every team, and is within only 2 or so wins for most teams.

That seems to be amazingly accurate if I am understanding this article correctly.

If I understand this correctly, he's predicting 57 wins if you use last year's numbers.

But considering age and player's performance over the last 3 years he predicts anywhere between 59.6 to 72.8 wins for the Rockets next year. 59 wins if you take into account their worst numbers in the past 3 years. 72 wins if you take into account their best. The "nominal" of the last 3 years is 67.3 wins

He predicts Miami will make the Finals in the East, and either the Rockets or Spurs make it in the West.

So basically, the Rockets' win projections are off the charts compared to any other team. They next closest team is projected to have about 7 wins less than the Rockets.

This means the Rockets next year could either have a 60 win season (which is incredible), to having about 73 wins and being one of the best teams in NBA history.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

17. bmd

bmd Member

Based on the comments, it seems as if the writer is only giving Jones 3 minutes per game, Asik 23 minutes per game, Beverley getting more minutes than Lin, and Brewer 25 minutes per game.

Based on that, the projected wins may be skewed upward in Houston's favor, because the above is unlikely to happen.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I am on the East coast and had a 5:30 reservation across a very busy city.

How Wages of Wins evaluates team wins before the season:

Every player is ranked by a very complex formula: http://wagesofwins.com/how-to-calculate-wins-produced/ yielding a WP (Wins Produced) for every player in the league: http://www.thenbageek.com/players. The numbers are then totaled for every team in the league for their entire roster. No personal input at all is used. However some interesting problems arise. Using the Rockets as an example:

1: The Rockets were projected with their lineup to win 50 games last season, but because no allowance was made for having 11 new players and a play book that was thrown out the window 3 days before the season started, the Rockets only produced 45 wins.

2: The Projected Wins Using Actual columns sums up the expected performance using every players performance over the last 3 seasons; worst, average and best of the seasons.

3: WoW projects player performance for the next 3 years given their position, age and developmental progress (positive or negative). Thus the last three columns.

4: The Rockets appear better than they reasonably will be at times given that WoW uses for instance Howard's 2010-2011 season and Asik's 2012-2013 season. There is no "fudging" of numbers for the likelihood of Howard and Asik both getting 30+ minutes a game. Thus the unlikely estimate of 72.8 wins in a season.

I make a mental judgement using either the "Last years #" or the "Average last three" column when deciding how many wins I think a team will win next season.

Basically these numbers are a purely analytical approach to calculating wins. An extra layer of interpretation needs to be applied. That is why Hollinger has typically been the most accurate forecaster for team wins next season. He starts with numbers somewhat more complex than these and then applies detailed understanding and knowledge to get a better result.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How can a team without a freaking power forward be projected to win 67 games???

If we had LMA - sure, I'd buy that. But 67 games in a stacked western conference????

I can see 55-57 wins for this team next year. But I guess he's assuming PB turns into a stellar guard. Otherwise I am not sure how it happens.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Interesting that LMA has a 4.7 WP and Asik has 8.7 WP. There actually are stats that support my view of LMA.