1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Texans and Respect

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 13, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Being a fan shouldn't obscure reality. That makes you a mindless homer.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I dunno... word is still out that Tennessee is not god-awful, Indy has their moments, Detroit is ok, and KC is currently the 2nd best team in the AFC.

I agree, there's a huge middle class of NFL teams whereby anybody can beat anybody..... so its harder to figure out who's really all that good and who may be bad. I also don't think Denver is much of anything special, especially on the road... but then again, I thought that all of last year and they ended up winning a Super Bowl, which gives every non-dominant middle class team a possible pathway to success (and I definitely think the Texans defense has the ability to carry them far, even without Watt).

And of all the middle class teams, I see the Texans as one of the main candidates that could see improvement... with better luck with health and more cohesiveness on the offensive side, that usually comes with more games together.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure which part you are talking about, the Texans or Cowboys. Regardless, I know how good our defense is, and how unpredictable Aaron Rodgers has been this year, so yes, it is possible to beat Green Bay. It is also possible to beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs if our offense and defense improves. Pittsburgh does not have as good of defense as we do, and that Steel Curtain which once was is more like rusted steel right now. Do I think we can win with Brock throwing 92 yards against good teams? No! Let's hope that changes. Maybe the coach is reigning him in, or just isn't good at drawing up plays for a quarterback. Maybe he isn't a good quarterback coach at all. Maybe he can't coach anybody well at that position. Or, maybe he is great and the quarterbacks have all been bad. I have no idea, and am not a mind reader.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have criticized units when they deserve to be criticized.....but I give them credit for overcoming those flaws and making it out to a 6-3 record despite all of that. Given their schedule and the injuries they've had, they could easily be sitting at 2-7, but they're not.

Call them out for their shortcomings when they deserve it, but people who can't give them credit for their success are just bad fans.

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The packers? Didn't the Titans just slaughter them?
    Redskins got a winning record yet?

Rocket River

6. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Texans should be ranked higher but Brock is just awful. Lamar Miller
    statements 4 and 6 are just flat out laughable. What I want to know is are we talking about the Browns or the Texans.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seriously.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The season is not over. People don't want to give him credit because in their heads they don't think that we are a 67% win team, many of us still think 9-7 given the remaining schedule and how we're playing looks right. Look at Minnesota, people gave them too much credit for being 5-0 and now the world is falling apart now that they lost 4 in a row. The only record that matters is the one at the end of the season. A 6-3 start means nothing if you collapse down the stretch.

We think the Texans are going to lose probably more games than they win down the stretch, that's why we hesitate to give credit to the team right now.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even if it was over, that wouldn't matter. Even if the Texans go 10-6 or 11-5 those really awesome Texans fans would then just say "They are the worst (fill in the blank) team ever" and "Who cares that they won their division, they are going to lose in the playoffs".

I mean, it is what it is. If the Texans come up short of winning the super bowl then that really awful segment of fans will call them "mediocre" as if they don't know what that word actually means. It's pretty pathetic.

10. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Houston's sport teams have always been greatly disrespected by national media so I'm not sure why you are outraged by this. Greatest examples Craig Biggio was not a first ballot HoFer and Jeff Bagwell has yet to have that honor

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Simply incorrect. When have the Texans won 10+ games and the fans have called them mediocre? That has only happened twice in franchise history and after each time the fans were optimistic heading into the playoffs. You like to make up scenarios that haven't happened yet. Even last year at 9-7 people thought we could beat the Chiefs and nobody saw the drubbing that we got coming.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It happened in both 2011 and 2012. There was whining about how they weren't "real contenders" and how they were just going to lose in the playoffs. Sure we had SOME fans who were good enough fans to just be happy that their team did well, but there were a lot who were upset that they weren't going to win the super bowl. Then there was talk about how being happy about your team winning their division and losing in the playoffs is what keeps the Texans as a mediocre franchise and blah blah blah.

Houston has always been a city of fair weather fans, but that doesn't make it less annoying.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Nope, that never happened.

2011 people were excited just to win a playoff game because TJ Yates was our QB.

2012 it was a disappointing end to what was supposed to be an amazing season. Don't forget the team also kind of collapsed at the end going 1-3 and squandering a bye week. There was some justified apprehension, but many of us were still optimistic until we got humbled by New England.

14. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Can't remember 2011 but i do remember 2012 and think most people were stunned at how bad they looked against the Patriots. I sure as **** know I was since I felt we had a Super Bowl contender in the Texans and the Patriots just exposed us. After that loss it was down hill and sitting in a bar thinking we are going to beat the Patriots but they get embarrassed it almost felt as bad as the Albert's Moonshot off brad. It was like reality was hitting me right in the stomach. But like game 7 I had hope we would still pull it off since Schaub was healthy but they had to play the patriots again and hope was crushed.

What I do remember 2011 was most Texans fans thinking if we had a QB, not Yates, Texans would have been in the AFC championship game.

Again your definition of fairweather and bandwagon fan is incorrect. I would say we are pessimistic and feel cursed #chokecity.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Even though I agree with most on here that the Texans clearly have a lot of flaws, I would argue that at least a portion of our woes can be attributed to bad luck. We have, if I recall correctly, the toughest overall schedule among all the division leaders, as well as the toughest road schedule. Catching New England on a short week on the road is never good, as is catching Minnesota early in the season when they were opening their new stadium, or a nationally televised game against Denver with so many narratives being written between the two teams. I'm not saying that we had an excuse to get our doors blown off in those 3 games like we did, but when you're a new QB learning a completely new system (that's by all accounts incredible complicated), none of those factors helps. It's not fair to discount everything we've done this season, especially since we've beaten some pretty good teams.

17. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The Texans have beaten two division leaders in the Chiefs, and Lions. Anyone saying they haven't beaten anyone but terrible opponents just have their blinders on.

If the offense is anemic against Oakland next Monday night, then we have something to worry about - as their defense is ranked 28th overall and 21st against the run. I'm betting the Texans have 150 rushing yards, and brock goes for at least 250 yards thanks to the success of the play action actually having a chance of working.

With our terrible offensive line, our offense, and Brock's success hinges on the run game, and the play action. Look at the TD passes yesterday of what our offense can look like when the play action works. Brock simply doesn't have time to drop back 5-7 steps with our terrible offensive line, we must have the play action on the table.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DALLAS
    NYG - L 5-3 <-- LOSS
    Was - W 5-3 <-- Quality win?
    Chi - w 2-7
    SF - w 1-8
    Cin - w 3-4
    GB - W 4-5
    PHI - W 5-4 <-- Quality win?
    CLE - W 0-10
    PIT - W 4-5
    LEFT
    Bal -
    Was - 5-3
    Min - 5-4
    NYG - 5-3
    TB - 4-5
    Det - 5-4
    Phi - 5-4

HOUSTON
    Chi - W 2-7
    KC - W 7-2 <-- Quality win?
    NE - L 7-2
    Ten - W 5-5 <-- Quality win?
    Min - L 5-4
    Ind - W 4-5
    Den - L 7-3
    Det - W 5-4 <-- Quality win?
    Jax - W 2-7
    LEFT
    OAK - 7-2
    SD - 4-6
    GB - 4-5
    IND - 4-5
    Jax - 2-7
    Cin - 3-4
    Ten - 5-5

Let's see respect after 16 games.

Rocket River

19. MystikArkitect

*checks season ticket waitlist*

*checks win history*

Confused.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A lot of revisionist history regarding 2011 and 2012... keep in mind, they were justifiable underdogs in their 2nd round road playoff games (with or without Schaub), and there was no component of getting beat by the "lesser" team-type disappointment.

They've never been better than the 3rd best team in the conference. Same will probably hold true this year, even though there's an outside chance of ending up tied with KC (should they happen to win the west).

Winning against the Raiders is pretty much a must to achieve that (and the requisite tie-breakers that go along with it).