1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Texans and Respect

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 13, 2016.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why do fans get bothered about this? Especially considering in this case it's fair criticism?

If the Texans want respect they'll have to earn it. Same with the Rockets, Astros.

Just being 6-3 doesn't earn respect mind you. They're playing like the worst team with a good record and I think fairly would be he underdog against every other current playoff contender.

Now... lack of respect. That's something the 93/94 Rockets can tell you about. No MJ... boo boo. OJ chase too important! SI not going with he nationwide cover, etc. that's a lack of respect

tierre_brown likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't understand why we never throw down the middle, but tonight there wasn't even another receiver present other than Hopkins. Miller had one little catch in the slot and that was it. All the other throws were to the running back and tight ends. The only thing I can figure is that Bill doesn't want him throwing up the middle, so designs safe plays for now to minimize turnovers. Maybe that will change down the road, and he will open it up. I hate a safe offense personally, because I love a good shoot out. That being said, I would rather come away with a win than see us lose because of taking an unnecessary risk. My only hope is that we just keep getting better, and Brock gets to the point that he starts letting that ball fly down the field with accuracy, and Hopkins and Fuller become a huge part of our offense. A lot of great quarterbacks started off terrible, so it is possible he does too. I'm going to choose the glass half full, and yes, maybe rose colored glasses, but that's just more fun. If there is no hope, then there is no point in even watching for me. GO TEXANS!!!!

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

No. We aren't as good as our record appears to be.

4. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

We prolly won't get shutout in the playoffs again

but we'll prolly still get demolished at home in the wild card

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Strength of schedule would suggest that the Texans are actually better than their record suggests.....that said, injuries are quickly reaching a level that will be hard to continue overcoming. Imagine though if the Texans had all their guys healthy, that's a fairly amazing team.

6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I agree!!!!!

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

The announcers have bias towards certain teams and players. That will never change. Look how they talk about Luck, even though the Colts are 2 games behind us. He is good for comeback wins, but slings that ball stupidly at times and can also be counted on to get intercepted. I hope we get a couple next time we play them.

#27 deb4rockets, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

this team hasn't earned the respect, that's why. in their 15 seasons of existence they've been the very definition of mediocre. respect doesn't just fall out of the sky. people talk on here like we've always been snubbed by the national pundits but several times in our illustrious history have big name guys like tom jackson picked us to win it all, only to be totally embarrassed in our biggest games.

so no... i'm not offended.

Houstunna and tierre_brown like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess Dallas is the worse 9-1 team in history
    They have not played anyone
    Texans have more quality wins

Rocket River

King1 and deb4rockets like this.
  10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Hahaha, so true! You will never hear the media say that though. I hope Washington knocks them down a notch Thanksgiving day. That would be a nice dessert for me.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They beat the Redskins, Packers, and Steelers all on the road. Those would all be Texans losses, easily. Not to mention, watch them play. They have an outstanding line, an MVP caliber running back, and a very hot quarterback. There's no comparison.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not disagreeing with you but a counter-argument is that none of those teams are division leaders. The Texans have beaten two division leaders. The only really impressive win from the teams you listed is against the Steelers and they're currently with a record below .500.

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wait a minute, you're the guy who at different points in the season has complained about our:
    1. subpar o-line
    2. bad quarterback
    3. star receiver who causes interceptions (hopkins) while our other starting receiver drops balls (fuller)
    4. defense that never steps up
    5. our horrible field goal kicker
    6. o-brien being a bad playcaller
    7. our special teams being nothing special

I mean, I can continue on but didn't I just cover every facet of football. You've complained about every single unit of the Texans team. Now you're complaining about the awful fans yet you've been just as critical. So what is it bobby? Are our fans awful or are they just agreeing with you on your criticisms?

Houstunna, Nook and tmactoyao like this.
  14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I wish we could fast forward to the playoffs so we can find out the damn truth already. This roller coaster of a season, just like it was last season, is analogous to trying to find out who in the front office has the real power.

15. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

You are the realest, @TheRealist137

We don't get respect because our QB just had a 14/27 for 99 yards game in 2016 against the Jags...

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Texans are just an OK team in a weak division.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A division that has actually fared better than their direct inter-conference opponent this year (NFC north).

Believe it or not, they are only a game behind securing a first round bye (they own the tiebreaker against KC).

KC, Baltimore, Houston, and New England are your division leaders right now. I'd say there's more than just one weak division.

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Time will tell when we play the Packers, and hopefully the Steelers in the playoffs if they make it. I don't know why you even make that statement if you are a Texans fan. That sounds like something a Cowboys fan would say. I hope Seattle crushes those Cowboys in the playoffs, just so they don't have the satisfaction of playing in a Houston Super Bowl.

19. Nook

Nook Member

The Texans will not win a playoff game.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So far we've played 4 good teams, and we got convincingly handled by 3 of them. If we had even been competitive in those 3 losses I might feel differently, but we looked completely overmatched. In our other games we found ways to win them all, but we have yet to look particularly impressive in any of them, and I haven't exactly seen an upward trajectory in any facets of the team.

And you are right, this does seem to be a weak season for good teams, parity run amuck. The Texans may be the second best team in the AFC, but the way we got taken to the prison shower in those three games is gonna eclipse any great feelings I have until they put forth a truly impressive effort.

I think the coaching staff deserves a lot of credit. Given the injuries, the mediocre line play, and Osweilers less than sterling work. The way we consistently manage to come out on top is pretty impressive.