1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Cat: take it to the bank, CP3 is staying

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 11, 2018.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I wouldn't say negative. I'd say, cautiously pessimistic.

There are way too many what ifs in play here and I'm not going to just have blind faith.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I still back him on that. The Knicks went back on their word. How is that a copout? It's what happened. And FWIW, Jesus didn't guarantee that Melo was coming to Houston. He said Knicks players were told Melo would be traded there.

I'm not sure what your problem is. Nothing is ever done until a deal is signed. Sometimes you can have all the right information, and then someone makes an erratic and/or contradictory move at the last minute. It happens.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I also know ppl around HARDEN who clearly were thinking the Melo deal was done. These aren't NBA guys, just friends in his camp who clearly were already sold on him coming. That backfired with the GM hire etc.

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

To be honest my issue is more with the people saying it’s a done deal because of this source or that.
    But also I think one who makes claims and says “take it to the bank” should be ok with any backfire or doubt (to be clear I didn’t listen to the clip but I’m assuming the OP was quoting you on that.) Same for Mr Potato Head. He didn’t say Melo is likeliest to come to Houston. He said he IS. And he most definitely was ready to reap all the glory had that went through so yeah to me he’s a fraud and you’re backing a fraud in that case.
    (Knicks didn’t go back on their word; they changed GMs. That’s a little different. And if one wants to be an NBA source one should be knowledgeable enough to see that if Rynos contract is involved then doesn’t matter how close the deal is it’s not done til it is)

I called Melo going to OKC months before it happened just by looking at the rosters around the league and seeing what make sense. I don’t deserve any credit for it, it was just common sense. I also said Chris Paul wouldn’t come to Houston because if it was Texas I was thinking Spurs. I got grilled for that and that was totally fair if I was to continue posting. Can’t be sensitive about this.

Why not? likes this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

1 half away from a championship (essentially) the rockets and CP3 would be dumb to part ways

Hakeemtheking and everyday eddie like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nothing is 100%. But the Rockets can pay CP the most. And when you watch the CP documentary last year you see how tough "change" was on CP. And his family. CP even talked about throwing up at a photoshoot. CP with Harden almost won the title in Houston. I feel he is more entrenched in the fabric of this team.

The CP to LA talk is driven constantly by Michael Wilbon and other talking heads because they are SO FOCUSED on pushing the Lebron to LA stuff (clicks, narrative, talking points etc) and they want to USE CP3 as a tool to have it work.

They could just as easily FLIP IT and say "CP is already in Houston, how about LeBron in Houston?"

No, they choose the LA talking point instead.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because believe it or not, It would be easier for the Lakers to sign or trade for Paul than it would be for us to unload Anderson and trade for Lebron.

People seem to overlook that. The only way Lebron comes to Houston is if he makes Cleveland trade him here out of sheer respect.

#27 REEKO_HTOWN, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Why not? likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That too of course. But knowing the media, I think they are pushing story more there than logistics.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Don't really see where that happened. Melo was told he was getting traded to the Rockets. It fell through, but that was absolutely what happened, confirmed by Melo. Potato only reported exactly what happened.

Edit: whoops I'm behind.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

To LeBron?

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There's always doubt until a deal is signed. Jesus was very up front about what and how he was told:

There's nothing fraudulent about him. He passed on what he was told, and the situation ultimately changed. That simple.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Trust me. I get it. He's going to be here. But still... if somehow he winds up with the LeBron on Lakers when it's all said and done I don't think I will be shocked. In fact, the original trade we made to bring him here would be more shocking. I guess when you've been around here awhile and have seen "sure things" erode a few times, you never feel safe.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Oh come on man. I honestly have no beef with anyone but you literally only took one tweet that supports your argument and ignored the rest. I don’t do the whole tweet thing but I assure you he had one pinned saying “Melo will be a rocket”

mdoggnic likes this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I wasn’t implying you were a fraud but if you’re actually just going to pull that tweet and pretend that’s all he said then I guess you didn’t just back the wrong person but rather you’re also playing the game of trying to raise your media cred by making up claims and hoping they stick.

15. BullRider

BullRider Member

he reported it was gonna happen.

Zoplicone and mdoggnic like this.
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah right. This is Houston Rockets basketball baby! The only way to sweeten losing T-Mac during our most loaded season was to lose Yao in what would be a 7 game series to decide the most probable NBA champion. The only way to sweeten that loss was to lose Yao forever.

The only way to sweeten losing CP3 to a stupid injury in the final moments going up 3-2 on the supposedly greatest team ever and a trip to the Finals and our 3rd championship? Losing CP3 to the Lakers just a few weeks later as he joins LeBron there.

HOW SWEET IT IS!

joshuaao likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

"potato" was right and was ultimately backed up by Melo himself who said he was told he was going to be traded to the Rockets before the Knicks backed out.

He was backed by Ian Begley, Frank Isola and Carmelo himself and still people say he was a bad source?

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

And then Scott Perry got in charge and backed out.

luckyman76, DonKnock and justtxyank like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Because it didn't happen wahhhh

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Things change. When regimes change, the previous regime's word means nothing. Carmelo felt betrayed by the Knicks already, and then they did this to him (which is why he accepted the OKC trade in the first place). How is this a hard concept to understand?? It doesn't make anyone reporting on it a fraud or deceptive. It's very rare for an organization to go back on its word after things have gotten that far down the road. It's easy to call people out on a computer without any semblance of repercussions, but Ben (@The Cat ) is good people, and doesn't deserve this level of vitriol and disrespect.