1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Eric Gordon likely to start at SF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 11, 2019.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

To me Daryl Morey and Mike DAntoni are desperately hoping and wishing Andre Iguodala comes to the Rockets.
    Andre doesn't want to play 38 minutes every game, 42 minutes in the playoffs, he will get injured.

Mike is a very dangerous coach in terms of never resting the best players, injuring them in the process and having a 7 man rotation in the playoffs.

The Front Court is really old Nene, Tyson Chandler, P.J. Tucker

Not much youth and Athleticism or Height at Small Forward, Power Forward.

cheke64 likes this.
  2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I still really like the idea of trying to let House & Clark fight for that role while giving EGo starter minutes off the bench. I'm sure the lineups will still be staggered, but I feel EGo coming off the bench keeps the ball rolling for a little longer. I dunno, would love to eat crow. But I'm not saying this is a bad lineup, considering one of the 3 of EGo, Harden and WB will be on the court for the entire 48 minutes.

Gary Clark is a darkhorse producer this upcoming season. Also, tons of you seem to be forgetting we signed Ben McLemore (maybe rightfully so) but I expect surprising production from him too

fattz, Rashmon and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think this is the right move , especially if we continue to limit Gordon’s minutes to keep him healthy .

We got off to a bad start last year . Getting off to a good start will be key . It will allow MDA to rest players later on in the season if we aren’t fighting for playoff seeding .

YOLO likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If you expect it, how could it be surprising?

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Skillset of our backcourt and modern rules support this as a potential success.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Position labeling is irrelevant.

With Harden WB and EG in the lineup at the same time, WB will be fulfilling the SF duties even while playing as a PG.

7. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Really? Starting 5 everyone under 6'6 besides our center wtf is that?

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Projected to be the best starting 5 in the league.

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I like it. What Gordon adds on offense, minus what Gordon allows on defense, is a solid net positive. And as others here have noted, he's adding what Westbrook doesn't, and he's not adding what Westbrook does.

JoeBarelyCares and mike2k132 like this.
  10. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

This was obvious....eg will start until we get a player like Covington that basically does the same as him but longer...austin n house are normal teams six man.....gordan is a super 6th or borderline allstar.

I'm happy he starts

11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

U reading to much into this...its simple it's a better team with him starting then coming off the bench.

12. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Exactly simple..n having him on the bench would be diminishing return....cause like I been saying. Rivers is a good enough 6th man. N Gordon would do more for the starts then house or rivers could..

Again he will be the starter till a gut of Covingtons statue comes. When u closing the game who are u playing...ego west harden tucker clint....so why not start it like thats... its ur best lineup

13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

who goes to the bench first wouldn't matter since you have a playmaker leftover.

It's 'small ball till we fall'

14. alethios

alethios Member

I do to with the exception of moving Harden to SF (or point forward) as was mentioned by others.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I mean I assume we will still switch a decent amount . Harden on forwards or Gordon on forwards is a bit of a wash . I think both are capable , but both also aren’t going to effect say KD when he takes a midrange step-back. However, there aren’t many KD’s

The main issue will be when one of our smalls (we play 3 ) is switched onto a more traditional big . Harden has shown he can do fine . Eg is likely better than house

I’m concerned about rebounding but would be even with House or Clark starting for Gordon .... their length is nice but it’s not like those guys are Ariza in terms of knowing where to be .

On the flip side , Gordon is as good of a shooter as we have . Our 3 guard should be fine on offense .

Most of the questions regarding this team will come down to WB and Clint . Can WB mesh with James and the other guys as a unit playing in an MDA system (whatever that means this year) and can Clint develop chemistry with wb in the PnR and have a better start to the year . I think last year Clint really struggled out of the gate and his playoff form (IMO) was a clear downgrade from the year before . We need him to bounce back

Depth guys like house , Clark , Hartenstein has some opportunity last year.... will they show growth ? Will they be consistent contributors all season and into the playoffs ?

IMO James , PJ , and EG are the most predictable players in terms of we know what they are gonna give us (obviously injuries aside)

So I’m not worried at all about EG starting or coming off the bench . We will be fine either way. It’s how the rest of the unit comes together and how individual guys fill a role that is the question I’m interested in

Edit. Forgot about rivers . He’s a bit of a wildcard imo .

fattz, BaselineFade and alethios like this.
  16. alethios

alethios Member

I agree, our switching defense almost makes it a positionless defense, except I don't like Capela switched to a guard out on the perimeter - I wish he would stay at home in the paint more. Aside from that, we would typically put our best defender on a player like KD, whether Ariza in the past or PJ's hackin' ass now.

I also am anxious to see how WB plays in a PnR-heavy offense. Should be entertaining if he gets it.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Part of what made CP3 so good for us is how effective he was at guarding bigger players in the post . He got low and used his quick hands .

I wonder if WB is capable of the same . He’s got a higher center of gravity and just different body type in general. I’m not trying to knock him , I just dunno if he’s going to be as good at that one particular aspect as CP3 was

alethios likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Any such G Leaguers available?

19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The man has shown defensive prowess time and time again. Not his fault there was disfunctional coaching most of the time he was in Houston.. desperately need this man's length, height and experience. A no brainier signing for this team.

D-rock likes this.
  20. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

the rockets should be fast with Gordon and westbrook. Harden can hoist three until he gets tired basically! The rebounding might be a problem against golden state because Draymond greene give zero flying f's about the defense in front of him.

the waiver market is one big crap shoot! I could see the rockets messing over dwade even if he was looking to unretire because you know dwade not bench player!