1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Training Camp Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

how the hell has Keenum not been cut?

we know what he is, and if he is forced to play, we can't win with him

really wish the Raiders would cut McGloin, he would be a terrific backup, already knows BoBs system

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Those were some real easy cuts for O'Brien.

3. Commodore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a> have made all their initial cuts to 53 according to reports: <a href="http://t.co/YerZtNPW61" title="http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/kupper-nwachukwu-among-last-texans-cuts">csnhouston.com/football-houst…</a></p>&mdash; Dave Zangaro (@DZangaro) <a href="https://twitter.com/DZangaro/status/505760120098152448" data-datetime="2014-08-30T16:53:03+00:00">August 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So after cuts and before waiver moves, this is our current 53 man roster.

OFFENSE (24)

QB (3): Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, Tom Savage
    RB (5):Arian Foster, Jonathan Grimes, Alfred Blue, Ronnie Brown, Jay Prosch
    WR (5): Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins, Devier Posey, Keshawn Martin, Mike Thomas
    TE (3): Garrett Graham, C.J. Fiedorowicz, Ryan Griffin
    OL (8): Duane Brown, Derek Newton, Chris Myers, Brandon Brooks, Ben Jones, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Will Yeatman, Tyson Clabo

DEFENSE (26)

DL (6): JJ Watt, Jared Crick, Tim Jamison, Jerrell Powe, Louis Nix III, Jeoffrey Pagan
    OLB (4): Jadeveon Clowney, Brooks Reed, Whitney Mercilus, Jason Ankrah
    ILB (5): Brian Cushing, Jeff Tarpinian, Mike Mohamed, Justin Tuggle, Akeem Dent
    CB (6): Jonathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, AJ Bouye, Elbert Mack, Andre Hal, Josh Victorian
    S (5): DJ Swearinger, Shiloh Keo, Kendrick Lewis, Chris Clemons, Eddie Pleasant

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

K: Randy Bullock
    P: Shane Lechler
    LS: Jon Weeks

1 person likes this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Do you have any proof or quotes to prove this? How have you come to these conclusions? McNair has always said he only steps in when the coachs and GM disagree. This suggests there is equal power there.

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Would have taken Bullough over a 4th HB (Brown)

What happened to Brennan Williams?

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Cut before TC.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Really need to pick up some good ILB's...That is an ugly list.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't have any more proof than anyone else. I also wouldn't pay any attention to what McNair says about a subject like this. It is exactly what I would expect him to say regardless of what the truth really is.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How have you come to these conclusions?

11. Commodore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a> have one backup interior o-lineman. They have a 32-year-old starting C and a starting RG who missed a lot of time in camp.</p>&mdash; Dave Zangaro (@DZangaro) <a href="https://twitter.com/DZangaro/status/505770904765599744" data-datetime="2014-08-30T17:35:55+00:00">August 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I'm disappointed in a few of the players still on the roster. Why do we need 4 RBs? Ronnie Brown?? If one goes down, there are PLENTY that will be available of Brown's caliber that they can pick up…not sure.

Also, Dent over Bullough (really rooting for this kid)? Really? Eddie Pleasant (barf)??? Keo (ugh)? Sad for Labhart, Bullough, EZ --hopefully they come back to the PS.

Once the waiver wire becomes active I think the following are probably on the bubble:
    Keenum, Keo, Pleasant, Dent, Tuggle, Ankrah, Mack, Clemons, Clabo, Yeatman; maybe even Bullock if a good K comes up; I would also thing K. Martin is on the bubble, just because we are still holding our breath for his 'potential' to come to light. (Although O"Brien seems to love him).

We shall see.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well you have to have someone to cut if you are going to make waiver claims...and as to Keo, you might as well make your peace with that, he's making the team.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What started it for me was Kubiak bringing Smith along from the Broncos. Rick Smith was hired by the Texans because Kubiak wanted him. That gave Kubiak the upper hand in the relationship from the very start. If Smith had come on board first and been given responsibility for hiring the coach, I would have thought the reverse.

Again, after Charley Casserly, I think McNair wanted a different GM/coach power dynamic in the organization.

When the team collapsed last year, I assume Smith went into self-preservation mode. One argument he could (successfully) make: Kubiak was responsible for most of the draft failures. As much as McNair doesn't like to fire people, I firmly believe he would have totally cleaned house if Smith was totally responsible for the roster. There wouldn't have been any choice.

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Yep I agree…if the past few pre-season waiver wire transaction are any indication, the texans could add as many as 10 new players, requiring 1o cuts from the current 53 man squad and there are definitely some ? on the team so I anticipate some new blood in soon and subsequent cuts.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ronnie Brown sucks.

17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Agreed! And took a roster spot from some good guys that were cut. I don't get it. They say its to help the younger guys along for 'veteran leadership' but then wtf is Arian Foster? Chopped liver? Maybe is ego prevents him from guiding youngster along…I don't know but Brown needs to go!

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Say what you want, but Keo is a thumper.

I never noticed Akeem Dent, liked Bullough. (*edit* Dent is guaranteed $750,000, so)

Why so may RB's? (*edit* Ronnie brown is guaranteed $850,000)

I think we will pick up a vet in OL if there is one on a cap strapped team that got cut to play a younger cheaper player... but you have to pay the salary though. Do we have any money?

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/houston-texans

Max Bullough $420,000
    Mike Farrell $420,000
    Anthony Denham $420,000
    Toben Opurum $420,000
    Matt Feiler $420,000
    Uzoma Nwachukwu $420,000
    Marcus Williams $420,000
    Bronson Irwin $420,000
    Keith Browner $420,000
    Chris Boswell $420,000

#878 Dubious, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Loaded up on rb's because BoB knows the passing game will suck.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think we're something like $7.5M under the cap.