1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to sign Patrick Ramsey

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by liamrock, Feb 27, 2009.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

^^^TheCat

I don't mean to be a jerk, I'm actually quite amazed how you spin almost everything Houston in a positive light and you always backup your arguments with evidence. Its actually pretty impressive

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

When did I say he wasn't? :confused:

I don't think anyone's denying that Rosenfels gave the Texans some quality minutes off the bench. The issue is in the rarity and whether it's easily replaced. For his role, I think it can be.

3. The Cat

Thanks for the (somewhat) compliment, but I don't think you've waded into too many Astros threads if you think I spin most Houston things in a positive light. :) Wish that could be the case...

4. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

It's a big deal because we all know Schaub won't be healthy all year so the backup is a pretty important position on this texans team.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agreed, but just to play devils advocate…

I think we can all agree that, in the last couple of years, the backup QB has been a pretty important position on this team. Certainly more so than a lot of other teams. I really don’t see that being any different this year. Do you really think Schaub is going to play all 16 games? I sure don’t.

But I certainly understand that we have a lot more pressing needs on this team than backup QB and there’s no reason to get all hot and bothered about it.

6. The Cat

Right, because if something happens two times (both largely due to vicious, illegal hits that aren't commonplace), that automatically means it's going to happen every other year for the remainder of eternity. :rolleyes:

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Now that Haynesworth is out of the division that drastically reduces Schaub's likeliness to get hurt.

I'm not joking either.

8. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Well, the Texans aren't playing the Vikings so Jared Allen can't dive into his knees and Haynesworth won't be giving him concussions anymore.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I've been calling him Jon Benet for a long time.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Well I hope he gets his flu shots, vaccination, etc. also...(the Rosencopter game)

the guy has missed 10 games in 2 seasons, I'd make sure to put an experienced backup behind him instead of a glorified clipboard carrier

11. The Cat

Good thing Ramsey has more experience than Rosenfels and has a better track record than Sage at the time he was signed, then.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure none of us were looking forward to having Alex Brink as the backup.

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Chrissy is probably the bottom.

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

With Haynesworth gone from Tennessee, I think Schaub should stay healthy this year, so this signing is cool with me.

15. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Contributing Member

It's pretty important for the Titans also, thats why VY is the back up because he just wins. :sarcasm:

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The team is not going to spend the money necessary to have a backup that will give you good enough minutes for this team to perform well if the backup QB has to play more than half the season. It just doesn't make economic sense. So, accepting that, you have to assume that a backup QB will get one, maybe two games a year that he has to be a major factor in the outcome. That's not enough games to worry about whether the difference in talent between Sage Rosenfels and Patrick Ramsey is worth fussing over...especially if you can get some quality defensive depth from a fourth round pick you fenagle out of the deal.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He didn't say that. Nice strawman though. It's just that he's missed a bunch of games and hasn't proven to be totally reliable.

I still like the trade but I am concerned about his durability.

18. JamesC

JamesC Member

I really hope the Texans can draft a QB like Pat White somewhere in the draft. With his speed he could be nasty running those bootleg reverses.

19. The Cat

How is that a strawman? How is saying that you know Schaub won't be healthy not the equivalent of saying that it's automatically going to happen again because it happened the past two years? Please elaborate.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

1. I think Pat White is the only QB like Pat White in this draft.

2. The Texans aren't going to draft him barring a fall to at least the 5th round.