1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texan's offensive play calling...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by haven, Dec 1, 2002.

1. haven

haven Member

Let me preface this by saying that I think the Texans have played well for an expansion team, and I see nothing to say they won't have a successful team in a couple of years. The defense is already play-off caliber. Hell, give Carr a decent offensive line, and a go-to receiver, and I could see a 10 win season next year.

But I really don't like the offensive play calling that we've seen lately. Early in the year - especially during the first Jacksonville game - it looked like the offense might come around in the first year. Then - bang - a couple of bad games, and the offense is in a shell.

I know that if they let Carr throw down the field, he's probably not going to succeed all the time. I'm not sure if we'd have any more wins. But what is there to lose? I suppose you could make an argument that throwing too many INTs could ruin Carr's confidence... but that didn't seem to happen to Manning. Or Couch.

I think the Texans should let him fire away. It's pretty obvious that the talent on offense is in the passing game. And the team is actually much more suited to throwing downfield than dumping it off. The Texans lack a possession receiver, but Bradford is definitely a deep threat. And Carr certainly has a cannon.

My frustration just culminated when the Texans, driving a bit just before half-time, managed 2 false starts... then had a hand-off, a broken play, and then a dink pass to end the drive. I mean, seriously, on 3rd and 18... you might as well give Carr a shot. When you're down 13-0, you're not going to win by playing conservatively. Even if you turn the ball over, the Colts offense looked merely average earlier. And it's not like they'd be in FG range immediately.

So, to sum:

1. Give Carr experience. Let him throw the freakin' ball like you're playing to win. Even if you don't win, he gets experience.
    2. The dink game isn't playing to the offense's strength. There's no running game, and you lack a possession receiver. Air the freaking ball out a bit.

Remember the first Jacksonville game.

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Carr has been sacked 59 times so far, and will probably set the NFL record for times sacked in a season. Do you really want Carr throwing more often? More blitzes and more sacks would surely mean injury to Carr. I am happy with the progress of this team. An injury to Carr would hurt his learning on the job experience that Capers is so magnificiantly orchestrating.

Also Jurmaine Lewis is terrible as a reciever. Catch the damn ball.:mad:

3. haven

haven Member

Bobfinn:

I think QBs can look downfield, and still unload it before getting hit ;). Just make sure he knows to dump it to the outlet man if there's a successful rush.

I really doubt he'd be taking that many more sacks if they went for a few more 15-30 yard throws.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I am curious to know why the Texans don't use the shotgun. It would allow quicker reads for Carr and possibly his getting rid of the ball quicker. Not to mention it would buy a little time for the offensive line.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

That was really hard to watch......

Can we somehow draft the Falcons whole offense? :)

At least Carr is alive after that sack fest. Fred Weary is terrible.....even if he is a rookie.

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

If Vick stayed another year, you would have the whole offense already.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

vick would be in a hospital right now if he had stayed another year. smartest thing he ever did.

8. Timing

Timing Member

I don't really mind the play calling because we're in that try not to lose the game mode right now but the lack of improvement from the offensive line and the amount of penalties we're still getting is pretty alarming. It doesn't seem we've improved in those areas at all. I like the way the team is dealing with the offensive line problems though in the sense that there's no finger pointing from Carr or Capers. On teams without leadership it could become a very Bengal'esque situation.

9. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I really hate their play calling!! I remember like 5 instances this season it was 3rd and long and they ran the ball. They need better play calling than that. As a fan, it makes the game boring to watch.

10. Hey Now!

a run is far more "entertaining" than a sack.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he'll likely end up that way, anyway...i think he will have a very exciting and very short career.

12. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

He won't have a short career. You can bank on it. He doesn't really take a "punishment" as people would call it.

You can't punish what you can't catch.

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Especially since they play the Bucs twice a year. Vick will be running back to the sidelines when the punt team comes in and Warren Sapp will levy a hit on him...ending his career. Sapp will consider it a success and will be dancing on the sidelines while they cart Vick off the field. After the game they'll interview Sapp and he'll give that Alfred E. Newman "What me worry?" look.

14. Hey Now!

RBs, as a general rule, have short shelf lives; throw in the additional hits he'll take in the pocket, and, well, it's not anything i'd bank on. look at mcnair and now mcnabb, how injuries have become more and more frequent, especially in mcnair's case.

15. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

McNair's shoulder has been a trouble spot for almost his ENTIRE career. I think thats more inherited than football caused. His shoulder is constantly hurt, and it can't be a perfect hit all the time.

McNabb had his first injury in his relatively short (so far) career. It was more of a freak injury and not a nagging injury. The fact that he played the game with it is amazing, and shows that it probably won't effect him in the near future.

Don't be surprised when all of these players have 10 or so years of effective football.

16. MadMax

we'll see...can i bank on it with YOUR money?? :D

if there were an over/under on years played in the NFL...i'd be betting the under...

17. Hey Now!

it's not just his shoulder: last year, it was his lower back, his ankle, his thumb, his hip, his arm, his back again; this year, he's had his shoulder scoped and once again, fought various injuries (back, quad, concussion, toe, shin and now ribs).

like mcnair, mcnabb has battled various injuries (most notably, his wrist last year); until recently, nothing major, but it starts to take a toll. it's the nature of the beast.

well, now we may be talking about two different things. mcnair's an effective QB who guts it out and makes plays when he needs to, but he's not the same QB he was in 1996, and i doubt, 6 years into his career, vick will be rushing for 173 yards in a single game.

it's a risky venture.

18. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Injuries will take a toll, but I don't think it will handicap him. Vick probably won't be rushing for 173 yards in a single game later in his career, mainly because he won't have to and its very, very hard for a RB let alone a QB to run for 173+ yards.

McNair is the same QB except smarter, and he runs when he has to. Vick is running a lot more than he has to, but once he gets surrounded with better talent, that will change. He'll adjust and become a better passing QB just like McNair has.

I would infact take it to the bank that he doesn't have to retire before 2010 because of NAGGING injuries, but freak injuries happen, and that can happen to any player, regardless of how they play.

19. MadMax

but aren't they more likely to occur to QB's who play the style of game that vick does? more hits equals more chances to suffer a freak injury.

20. Major

Major Member

but aren't they more likely to occur to QB's who play the style of game that vick does? more hits equals more chances to suffer a freak injury.

Wouldn't an elusive QB take less hits in the pocket though? Instead of bullrushing him, teams are going to learn to simply try to contain him more.