1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texan's NFL draft hypothetical

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ottomaton, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the current version of the Sporting News mock NFL draft here is the top 13:

1 49ers Aaron Rodgers* QB Cal.
    2 Dolphins Cedric Benson RB Texas
    3 Browns Derrick Johnson OLB Texas
    4 Bears Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
    5 Buccaneers Alex Barron T Florida St.
    6 Titans Erasmus James DE Wis.
    7 Raiders Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
    8 Cardinals Alex Smith* QB Utah
    9 Redskins Heath Miller* TE Va.
    10 Lions Kevin Burnett OLB Tennessee
    11 Cowboys Antrel Rolle CB Miami (FL)
    12 Chargers Carlos Rogers CB Auburn

This is notable because it leads to their choice for the Texans:

13 Texans David Pollack DE (OLB) Georgia

Granted, he probably won't slip here. When Dwight Freeney was drafted he slipped to the second round in many mock drafts for the same tweener size issues that surround Pollack before he was drafted 11 overall. So, suspend disbelief for a moment and assume it plays out this way?

In any case, here are the issues: Pollack may be the highest rated player in the draft for a team like the Texans who run the 3-4. He also happens to play the area of least need, as the team has the fading but still really good Jamie Sharper, rock solid Jay Foreman, a stud rookie who was lost in the shadow of Dunta Robinson in Jason Babin, Kailee Wong, who had his best season as a Texan, and the scintillating Antwan Peek who's probably the best pure pass rusher and who has shown in limited action that people are talking about moving Wong inside.

Still, Pollack could be a perennial all-pro type. He's not a rocket-quick straight-ahead pass rusher like Peek, but instead a super-persistent, all-instinct, every play guy, who's a natural football player (and even so, he's a fairly good pass rusher). I think he'd perhaps be a bit like Julius Peppers as a 3-4 OLB, in the sense that he'd be disruptive in all aspects of the defensive game, from breaking up plays, to batting down passes, making tackles on the opposite side of the field and the like. (I don't, however, consider him the freakish athlete that Peppers is.) For the fans of the Georgia Bulldogs, he's the third greatest person in the history of the world behind Jesus and Hershel Walker.

1. Would you take him at 13 if the Sporting News top 12 played out as above, despite the absolute lack of need assuming he's as good a player/fit as I say?

2. Do you disagree with my assessment of him? In all honesty I only watched 2 Georgia games, and then without my fullest attention so I may be wrong. How would you assess him?

3 Given the above scenario, if you didn't take him, who would you take instead?

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I really havn't followed most of the top picks this year, but I like Dan Cody as an outside linebacker. Of course Derrick Johnson would be great but that is a pipedream. I've seen David Pollack go as low as the second round in some mocks but he seems to be an interesting pick.

How long till football starts? :(

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If the draft went like that I think Casserly would take Mike Williams at 13 instead of Pollack.

4. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I wonder if the ‘Fins are reluctant to take a runningback w/ dreads from UT.

5. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Cedric cut them off. He is bald now. Just like Ricky is nowadays.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'd take either Pac-Man Jones or Mike Williams over Pollack. Peek needs more playing time, and we still have Babin and Wong at OLB. Why create more of a logjam?

Personally I'd take Jones. Let him do kick returns and play some nickel learning behind Glenn. Let Glenn go after this season and a trio of Robinson, Jones, and Faggins would ensure you'd be set at CB for a long time.

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

DJ is not going third.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

The biggest needs for the Texans by far are in the trenches. I'd be very surprised if they don't take a lineman(either side) in the 1st.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree with that 100%. U can't pass on a talent like that...Also, I still don't see ARogers getting picked No. 1. I don't see he being that good...

10. sydmill

sydmill Member

i will vomit if we spend that pick on this guy. if this is how the draft plays out then we walk away with thomas davis or mike williams

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

There is zero, nada, no chance the Texans take a receiver with their first round pick. Keep dreaming.

12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

This cracked me up.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Exactly. No Mike Williams happening this year. Stop pretending guys.

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Why spend a first round pick on a safety when you don't need one? Glen Earl looked solid last year as a rookie SS, and we still have Coleman at FS, even though Davis is more of a LB/SS. We also have bigger needs than WR, and I'm won't be sold on Williams until I see what his 40 time is at the combine.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Agreed, failure to address this area in the first 2 rounds of the draft yet again would be a sign of incompetence on the part of upper management.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah Rogers is a bit overrated to me. I wouldn't draft a guy #1 who can't pass on Texas Tech's defense. I don't see any franchise type quarterbacks in this draft.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

What a horrid mock draft, I don't see any of those outside of the first 2 coming to fruition. Do the Bears remember what happened the last time they took a Michigan WR in the top 10?

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Although I loved Terrell in college, this Edwards kid is something else.

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Here's the latest from ESPN Insider:

By Mel Kiper Jr.
    Special to ESPN Insider

MOCK DRAFT: Mel Kiper's Latest First-Round Projection | Feb. 8

The Senior Bowl and Super Bowl have both come and gone, which means it's time to update my projections for the first round of the NFL draft.

Utah quarterback Alex Smith still looks like the No. 1 pick, but there are some new entries on the list. Washington offensive tackle Khalif Barnes, Troy outside linebacker Demarcus Ware and Georgia wide receiver Reggie Brown have all worked their way into the first round while LSU defensive end Marcus Spears makes his debut all the way up at No. 10.

In all, there are 11 underclassmen among my first 32 picks, including a pair of third-year sophomores. Auburn and Oklahoma each have three players on the list -- including two of the top 10 for the Tigers -- while Texas, USC, Florida State and Wisconsin all have two players on my firsr-round board.

Here's how they fall into order:

1. San Francisco 49ers: Alex Smith (jr.), QB, Utah
    A smart player who will pick up an NFL system quickly, Smith has good size, is mobile enough to hurt teams with his running ability and is also an efficient passer who can make all the necessary throws.

2. Miami Dolphins: Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
    A strong, tough runner with good speed for his size, Benson would help fill the void left by the retirement of Ricky Williams. But there is speculation the Dolphins will attempt to fill their running back need through trade, perhaps for Buffalo's Travis Henry, so stay tuned.

3. Cleveland Browns: Aaron Rodgers (jr.), QB, California
    Rodgers is a smart, accurate passer with a quick release. His arm strength is adequate and he is a better prospect at this point in his career than former Cal QB Kyle Boller, now the starter for the Baltimore Ravens.

4. Chicago Bears: Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
    Edwards has the size, speed and athleticism to take over games, and he did that several times in 2004. He also significantly cut down on dropped passes and concentration lapses this past season, pushing his stock even higher.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn
    A creative, deceptive runner with tremendous natural skills. Williams can get tough yards inside despite lacking ideal size, a point illustrated by his 29 rushing TDs over the last two years. Was also coached by Tampa head coach Jon Gruden in the Senior Bowl.

6. Tennessee Titans: Adam Jones, CB, West Virginia
    A good cover man who will also contribute as a kick returner, Jones has very good closing speed and is a willing tackler in run support. That may be his most important quality with the NFL hurting pass defenses by focusing on downfield infractions by defensive backs.

7. Oakland Raiders: Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma
    A fiery, intense player who always goes all-out, Cody is similar to former NFL standout Kevin Greene in his ability to play on his feet as an outside linebacker, or in a three-point stance as a defensive end.

8. Arizona Cardinals: Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn
    Perhaps the most complete back in the draft, Brown can carry or catch the ball with equal skill. He has size, instincts and quickness that allowed him to put up excellent numbers at the college level.

9. Washington Redskins: Mike Williams (jr.), WR, USC
    Williams did not play in 2004 but dominated the college game for two seasons while at USC. His 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame gives him a big advantage over defensive backs, and he has excellent hands. Would be a great help in the development of quarterback Patrick Ramsey and help take some pressure off Clinton Portis in the running game.

Marcus Spears
    Marcus Spears bolstered his stock immensely in Mobile.
    10. Detroit Lions: Marcus Spears, DE, LSU
    Spears boosted his stock immensely with an outstanding performance at the Senior Bowl. He showcased his speed, strength and athleticism against some of the best offensive linemen in the nation, and his size would make him a welcome addition for a team that needs to boost its pass rush.

11. Dallas Cowboys: Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State
    Spends a lot of time in opposing backfields after collapsing the pocket or gaining penetration against the run. Came on strong and raised his stock significantly during his senior year.

12. San Diego Chargers (from NYG): Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas
    Has the speed and strength to chase ballcarriers from sideline to sideline and make things happen when he gets to the ball.

13. Houston Texans: Troy Williamson (jr.), WR, South Carolina
    Perhaps the fastest wideout in the draft, Williamson would be a nice complement to budding superstar and physical wideout Andre Johnson.

14. Carolina Panthers: Alex Barron, OT, Florida State
    With light feet for a player his size, Barron is a consistent blocker who is equally adept in both the pass and run games.

15. Kansas City Chiefs: Shawne Merriman (jr.), DE/OLB, Maryland
    A workout warrior who would help shore up a defensive line that had trouble pressuring the quarterback last season. Expect Kansas City to commit nearly its entire draft to the defensive side of the ball.

16. New Orleans Saints: Brodney Pool (jr.), S, Oklahoma
    A complete safety who excels in coverage and is more than adequate in run support, Pool has excellent size, covers a lot of ground and shows good anticipation in diagnosing plays.

17. Cincinnati Bengals: Roddy White, WR, UAB
    A big-play wideout who averaged 20.0 yards per catch last season, White's combination of size and speed is in the elite category.

18. Minnesota Vikings: Shaun Cody, DL, USC
    A versatile lineman who can play end or tackle, and was a leader on the nation's best rush defense..

19. St. Louis Rams: Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
    Has to answer questions about his durability, but when healthy, James was a force along the line who commanded double-team blocks on a regular basis.

20. Dallas Cowboys (from BUF): Antrell Rolle, CB, Miami
    A good cover man who did not see a lot of balls thrown his way in 2004, Rolle was still a force in run support and is adept at blitzing off the corner.

21. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalif Barnes, OT, Washington
    Another player who raised his stock at the Senior Bowl, where he answered questions about a wrist injury that sidelined him for the final six games of 2004. Excellent in both run and pass blocking and earned the respect of Iowa DE Matt Roth at the Senior Bowl, with Roth calling Barnes the best tackle he faced all season.

Mark Clayton
    Mark Clayton would be a great weapon for Kyle Boller.
    22. Baltimore Ravens: Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
    Has excellent speed and is one of the best in years at running after the catch, making Clayton a big-play threat who would give young QB Kyle Boller another option on the outside.

23. Seattle Seahawks: Matt Roth, DE, Iowa
    A tremendous natural pass rusher who has fire and intensity, Roth's outstanding consistency this season helped raise his stock.

24. Green Bay Packers: Thomas Davis (jr.), OLB, Georgia
    A punishing tackler who played safety in college, Davis has the size and speed to become a force in the front seven at the pro level.

25. Denver Broncos: Demarcus Ware, OLB, Troy
    Needs to add a little bulk to his frame, but his quickness would give a boost to a Denver pass rush that was lackluster in 2004.

26. New York Jets: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn
    A physical player who is an asset in run support and also has the speed to be an outstanding cover man. Rogers was the best player on a very good Auburn defense thanks to his consistency and durability.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Brandon Browner (so.), CB, Oregon State
    With his good size and speed, Browner is a consistent cover man who would be a nice complement to last year's top pick, fellow CB D'Angelo Hall.

28. San Diego Chargers: Roscoe Parrish (jr.), WR, Miami
    A speedy guy who would round out a receiving corps bolstered this season by the addition of Keenan McCardell and the emergence of TE Antonio Gates. Parrish would also be an asset in the return game.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Anttaj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin
    His combination of size, strength and athleticism make Hawthorne an ideal 4-3 defensive tackle. He knows how to handle double-team blocks and can create lost-yardage plays.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers: Heath Miller (jr.), TE, Virginia
    A tremendous pass receiver and a willing blocker along the line, Miller would give young quarterback Ben Roethlisberger another weapon to complement his wide receivers and also be a help to the Pittsburgh running game.

31. Philadelphia Eagles: Reggie Brown, WR, Georgia
    Has excellent size and hands and gained plenty of attention with a good Senior Bowl showing. Would be a nice addition to a receiving corps led by Terrell Owens.

32. New England Patriots: Channing Crowder (so.), MLB, Florida
    Crowder immediately became one of the best linebackers in college after setting foot on campus. He has all the skills and instincts to be a tremendous middle linebacker at the next level.

Borderline first-rounders

The players below are on the very fringe of the first round and depending on how things shake down some, all or none of them could ultimately end up being taken off the board in the first 31 selections:

# Darryl Blackstock, OLB, Virginia
    # Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
    # Jason Campbell, QB, Auburn
    # Charlie Frye, QB, Akron
    # Bryant McFadden, CB, Florida State
    # David Pollack, DE, Georgia
    # Justin Tuck (jr.), DE, Notre Dame

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Nice, so Kiper's got us passing up a talented OT for a receiver now. :rolleyes: