1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Targeting a quality, young, defensive C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Htown's2kFinest

I have a similar list. But I would switch McGee with Whiteside. He's 22, probably the most athletic center in the NBA, has the highest upside of all of them, and is already one of the top shot blockers. Washington doesn't have any true veteran leadership on the team and Lewis is the best they could get. McGee makes some bonehead plays at times and trys to go for the highlights play instead of the easy play, but with the right guys to help guide and mentor him he could be a dynamic player. He doesn't have the off-court red flags like Blatche and his mother who's a former pro basketball player, attends a lot of his games too, helps keep him straight.

Before though, I thought that he would be almost untouchable just like Twill but if Morey can nab him from the Washington than he's the true Wizard.

2. QPower

QPower Member

Well, Camby just put up 20 rebounds and 2 blocks against the Jazz tonight.

Wish we had someone like him. :(

3. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I like a lot of the names being mentioned here, but i think Emeka Okafor stands out the best in my mind regardless of how crappy his contract is.

It would great to be able to make a deal for McGee, Whiteside, or Jordan; but, they're all future prospects with upside. IMO, i think at this point, we need someone proven at the Center position and I think Okafor may be the only one available.

I would have thought that maybe Iggy and Brand could have been had, but they seem to be gelling pretty well under Doug Collins, but they may not be out of the realm of possibility due to their horrendous contracts. Brand is actually quietly having a very productive year - 15ppg, 9rpg, 1.3bpg in 33mins/game.

Many have mentioned Gortat before and how Morey has been big on him. But remember that he only offered him a certain amount in FAgency. I dont think Morey would go out and try to get him for more than he had him valued at. Don't get me wrong tho, i think he would be nice fit here, but i don't think its worth overpaying for Gortat, who has yet to prove anything in the NBA

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. Happii

Happii Member

Center's I would like as a Rocket that we can realistically acquire.

1. DeMarcus Cousins
    2. DeAndre Jordan
    3. Hasheem Thabeet
    4. Anderson Varejao
    5. Marreese Speights
    6. Nene
    7. Robin Lopez
    8. Cole Aldrich

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Realistically, D. Jordan, Thabeet, Randolph and Camby. Not in that order.

7. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I can't believe people are bringing up Okafor, for the amount he is currently under contract for, that boy is not worth it. And that is saying something coming from me.

8. fattz

fattz Member

Randolph fits with his passing, rebounbing, shotblocking... ( He is a young player that MAYBE able to be coached up )
    McGee looks like nothing but upside and would bring his DEFENCE with him...

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Which is the only reason why he's realistically available. Morey has said it before if you want a superstar taking a poison pill type contract maybe key. This is why I have long advocated for CP3 and Okafor. Two birds with one stone and it may actually be feasible because of Okafor's contract.

Nene is another good idea. I think he's a FA after this season and it looks like the Nugz are about to blow it up and start over. Apparently they want 5 first round picks for Melo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AlEByxKxp4q4X_EDUqj9iYC8vLYF?slug=aw-anthonynuggets123010

So maybe we can get in on this and pry Nene away by throwing in some picks and a TE? Three way deal with the Nets? Heck we've been their trade partner all year....

10. QPower

QPower Member

The thing about Nene is that the Nuggets aren't gonna give him up. Nugs4 thinks that they will build around Nene/Afflalo/Lawson. I think Nene is untouchable.

CP3 and Okafor makes too much sense for it not to happen. Yao's contract could help them out alot and we could throw some young talent, exprings and draft picks.

The problem is that the Hornets are still owned by the league and they won't make any trades until a new owner is in place.

11. QPower

QPower Member

Morey should have thought about this before the season even started.

It was foolish of him to think Yao would remain healthy and you could count on him.

But no, we go after an aging Brad Miller who doesn't give anything on the defensive end. :rolleyes:

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He did, he tried to get Chandler

13. QPower

QPower Member

I know, but damn we need a big man, preferrably over 6'6, who is a shotblocking presence.

We need to make a move ASAP, especially since Hayes is out for a month.

My preferred targets are Camby and Varajao. I think both can be had, especially since the Cavs are sucking so bad. Maybe we can take back a bad contract such as Boobie Gibson or turn him over to a third team like New York for Randolph?

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed.

It goes without saying that one of the key components of making a trade is TIMING. For teams looking to acquire a solid big like Nene, the timing couldn't be better with Denver's demise and dismantling looming.

In fact, the best trade proposal I've seen so far on the entire BBS is BimaThug's Hill/Jeffries/filler for Nene/Balkman deal.

Another name to keep an eye on: Marc Gasol. His name isn't mentioned in many trade rumors or threads (THABEET!!!!!) but with a big payday forthcoming and a notoriously cheap/apathetic owner calling the shots, it's hard for me to not at least consider him an option. Especially whenever Dork Elvis has all the tools/assets necessary to acquire talent in that manner.

15. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

I think we should get involved in the melo trade, aloNg with the kings, that way we ge us nene, and somehow get the king to give them cousins, which would just help the nuggets since they are getting nothing but young players in return

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If we want an NBA ready center who can have an impact defensively and play big minutes, there is realistically only 3 candidates:

Nene
    Varejao
    R.Lopez

Forget Thabeet, Randolph and all those other cats who have "potential". Most arent ready, cant play center or are unattainable.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I believe Memphis came out and said they were keeping him as their center. At his age he'll be in his prime during his next contract.

18. baller4life315

Agreed on that being the logical thing to do. This is Michael Heisley we're talking about, though. True, he's spending now....but that's an uncharacteristic stance from a notoriously cheap and inept owner. With an unusually high payroll and nothing to show for it I think he'll fold once February rolls around.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Heisley will likely keep the overall salary low, but has been willing to pay individual players. Gay got paid, Conley got paid, but with Randolph coming off the books (and likely not gonna be re-upped), there is money to pay Gasol without blowing their budget.

20. baller4life315

Worth keeping an eye on, IMO. If they drop to $40M next year then give Gasol the Kamen-level extension he wants that, along with a lotto rookie, is easily going to push them into the mid-50's and that's even without Randolph in the picture.

So yeah, I agree....Z-Bo is likely gone and depending upon what other moves they make, how players develop, etc that might actually end up hurting them.