1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Surveying the wreckage. Lineup possibilites for 2005.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Xenon, Oct 22, 2004.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Bagwell wasn't "clearly declining" when they signed him to the contract. It was 1 or 2 seasons before his shoulder problems, if I remember correctly.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

STFU :mad:

Beltran's stats for the past seasons:

Year TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
    2001 KC 155 617 106 189 32 12 24 101 317 52 120 31 1 .362 .514 .306
    2002 KC 162 637 114 174 44 7 29 105 319 71 135 35 7 .346 .501 .273
    2003 KC 141 521 102 160 14 10 26 100 272 72 81 41 4 .389 .522 .307

You don't even know what you're talking about and you're talking. Check out those stats!
    :rolleyes:

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think you may want to re-read his post.

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

amen to that...plus id kill myself if i have to watch his routine at the plate 2,000 times per at bat

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I could live with that line-up.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I know I am going to piss some people off, but I will reprint here what I posted in the "Biggio at 3rd Base?" thread.

Biggio should play either LF, 2B or Catcher next season.....

...for a team other than the Astros.

The Astros need to decline their options on Bidge and Kent.
    The Astros need to trade Jeff Bagwell to an AL team and they need to trade Wade Miller.
    Roger Clemens is retiring for real this year.

Time to move on people. Build for the future. Chris Burke should be our everyday 2nd baseman next year. Lance Berkman should be our everyday 1st baseman next year. Jason Lane should be our everyday LF next year. The only bullpen arms they should keep are Qualls and Lidge, and perhaps Wheeler, although I think his performance in the NLCS was a fluke. Get rid of the rest of them. They should try like hell to resign Beltran, but if they can't they will need a defensive CF with speed to cover all of that ground at MMP. Wily Taveras, although he is no Beltran by a long shot, might be the guy if they can't make a deal for anyone else.

This was Bags & Bidge's last shot with the Stros.

The Astros desperately need to get younger.

7. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Only problem is every hit to left field will be an inside the park homer.

Pugs

8. pugsly8422

I have to say I agree with everything here, I don't think Bags or Bidge will have another chance in an Astros uniform. Even though we will be DECENT, I don't think we'll have another chance like this year unless we are able to somehow (even though I don't think it will happen) get Beltran back. I know some of the things aren't that easy like getting better relievers and trading Bagwell and Miller, but I wish we could do that. I think our best bet now, if we can't resign Beltran, is to get younger.

Pugs

9. Glish21

Glish21 Member

haha who needs a left fielder half those balls clear the wall anyway

10. pugsly8422

Lol, good point. If anything we need a player to play right behind second base to stop all those balls from going through, lets just make up a new position.

Pugs

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

edited...thanks

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think you under estimate Beltran field coverage... ;) That's how we can afford to pay him - he plays Left Center Field.

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I agree. As I said before, the Biggio-Bagwell era is over (God, it pains me to say that). Problem is, Bagwell isn't going anywhere with his current contract, unless the Astros pay a large portion of his salary. So, at the very least, the Biggio era shoud be over. (Now, if Biggio wants to stay on as a coach, I'd love that.)

It's time to look to the future... and its name is Carlos Beltran.

14. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

We absolutely need to sign Miller if Clemens is not returning. Do you guys think quality no. 3 starters grow on trees? His price is going to be deflated because of his injury, but he can still be dominant. I seriously think the key to the Astros 2005 is resigning Miller. This is taking into account that Beltran will be moving on.

There is no way we can move Bagwell. We would have to do a Cards like Tino Martinez deal to move him but he just makes too much money. There are no prospects in our organization or cheap free agents available that will hit significantly better than him. Though, Biggio can go since we have Burke and Lane ready to take over those positions. All we need is to find a CF till Taveras is ready. Remember the key to winning is pitching and defense. With Miller back onboard we would still have 4 quality starters ready for next season and with Burke and Everett plus a defensive CF up the middle this team can still compete.

15. Xenon

Since when is Adrian Beltre the same player as Carlos Beltran? ;)

16. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If Biggio is willing to rework his 3 million dollar option for this upcoming season then i don't mind having him back and moving him back to 2b. Kent's option is probably not going to be picked up unless he wants less money.

They should really rework the deals with Carlos Beltran in mind. That is what we need on this team. A person that brings the spark back and the excitment to the game much like he did in the post season.

I don't want to see Bidge and Bagwell go anywhere. I would rather them understand their role on the Astros now as vetran leaders and not expect to be making Star money any more and look for the best interest of the team. After feeling how good it was to get where they did, they should both want to better the team and help in anyway they can.

17. Xenon

I think we should resign Biggio. His buyout is 1 million so it's only 2 million more to extend him. 2 million is not much at all. Remember Jose freaking Vizcaino made 1.2 million so that should give you a good idea of how much that amount is good for. (not much) Biggio would provide insurance in case Burke doesn't pan out and if he starts b****ing about lack of playing time then ship him off to Washington for a low level prospect.

Btw, anyone notice how Tommy Whiteman is tearing up the Arizone Fall league? We could probably get some good value trading away Everett. And as for my original post it is now out of the question. Ford and Stewart will not be available since the Twins top prospect blew out his knee. Twins have had some horrible luck with lately.

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

After we resign Beltran the top 2 things on our list after that should be bullpen help, and a catcher who can help on the offensive side of the ball (Varitek).

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If we need anything or learned anything this year.....we need to sign Beltran and sign a whole new Bullpen except for Lidge.

20. Xenon

Varitek makes way too freaking much. 6.9 million last season. Add that to the 3 million we are paying Ausmus and that's way way too much to pay for the catcher's spot. You guys have to think about this realistically. That's why I offered the idea of LeCroy. We would have been a low cost slugger that could easily hit 25 homeruns.