1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Surgeon Speculates Carmelo Anthony Has Torn Meniscus Or Arthritic Knee

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheGreat, Mar 18, 2013.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Carmelo Anthony has missed four of the past six games and is questionable to play Sunday, and one orthopedic surgeon who has not examined Anthony speculated that the New York Knicks' forward has either a partially torn meniscus or an arthritic knee.

Anthony had his knee drained in New York after the Knicks' loss to the Denver Nuggets on Wednesday. Having fluid in the back of the knee is rarely found in a patient "with a 100 percent normal knee," according to the surgeon.

“It means there is something going on with the knee,” the doctor added. “The question is, where did the fluid come from? What is the source of the fluid? Something inside the knee produces that fluid, so what is going to stop the fluid from coming back.”

The Knicks initially described Anthony's injury as just soreness.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ess-raises-red-flags-article-1.1291011?pgno=1

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

If he misses the rest of the season due to meniscus, let's see how the media treat him there.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He needs to stop chucking.

The knees can only take so much abuse.

4. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

I know it says it's purely speculation but I have a feeling the surgeon's right.

Looks like the Knicks will end up as 8th seed and it's a 1st round exit from there.

5. kastuul

kastuul Member

This is how the Knicks hide the player's injury.

They want to sell tickets and just raise the price.

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

pretty much impossible, they'd have to play like the Raptors.

7. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

Heh, I was being as pessimistic as possible. I hate the Knicks.

Looking at how opposing teams have been blowing them out for the last 3 or 4 games lately however, it just might happen. :)

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

They'd have to keep missing Tyson Chandler, and his injury seems to be just a minor strain.

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

dont worry, he'll be 80% ready to play Stephen A ;)

10. hltiki

hltiki Member

dam... Melo being on another team that is owned by a man and his business not in your geographic location shouldn't be reason to be happy or find comfort in his injury does it?

Houston has been cursed with injuries that have taken optimal competitiveness and thus optimal joy and beauty from the game; and I am citing here the situation with Yao and Tmac, but particularly Yao's in the playoffs against the Lakers. Being a NBA fan and watching primarily the Lakers growing up, I was truly conflicted to say the least; that year, which I believe was 09, the win just was not satisfying because of Yao's injury; there is always this looming shadow of insecurity in the win that will never go away.

This is why players getting injured or having to be taken out of games, especially important games, is such a cruel sight. I can't imagine what the players are feeling. Man, I'm not even a professional athlete, but I love to ball, workout, and practice martial arts as hobbies, and when an injury strikes, I feel as if it's the worst feeling in the world; it feels like you are rotting in a slow and helpless way, as if in quicksand, where the only thing you can do is WAIT....

No matter who plays for whatever team, basketball is at its finest when both players and teams are at their finest.

1 person likes this.
  11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Wonder why he is alwas injuried at this time of the season? Terrible work ethic.

You know he doesn't believe in working out at the gym?

"My thing is to get in the gym and get out...there is no reason to be in the gym 3, 4, 5 hours. So we get in 45 min to an hour...get it done..."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MolEov4tpHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. hltiki

hltiki Member

I don't know in full detail Melo's work ethic, and neither do you, but working out for 3, 4, ,5 hours in the gym does not mean strong work ethics, and neither does it mean effective training.

Just do any web research on effective training in the gym, you'll seems tons of evidence that shows the pros and cons of the various methods of training.

Here's a quick example, cross fit training, which translates well into BJJ, MMA, NBA, sports etc., should not and is usjually not more than 2 hours long/per day.

But again,no one really knows melo's work ethic.

13. seyton

seyton Member

The real question is if "gym time" includes practicing actual basketball and working out right? Maybe an hour workout isn't bad, but if it is an hour for workout and practicing shooting for instance then it isn't all that much.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

well the point he's was trying to make there is clearly that he prefers an intense workout (during off season) over a slow drawn out one. It doesn't mean that he only does 1 a day, or that he doesn't do anything besides individual gym workouts (running? pick up ball?). He's just trying to say that he's not wanking in the gym shooting horse style shots once a minute like Rasheed Wallace used to practice, or such.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

he was trying

16. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I do follow up on Carmelo. You know he used to have a personal trainer when he was at Denver. He was fired after a season or two. I remember one preseason interview where he admitted he was vacationing for a month just chilling and getting tanned up. I mean he is getting 20 million per and Knicks fans deserve better. You can search Youtube on NBA players on workouts and you have a good idea who works out who doesn't.

Here is the brutal offseason workout for LeBron and Durant:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hJXY1FEZXRM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AryQKK6BbwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More on Durant workouts:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I36W5Ix93nE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. verysimplejason

I'm a training buff and 2 hours is more than enough. I'd say, lift weights for 30-45 mins, then shoot, drive or play pick-up games for another 45 mins - 1 hour should be enough. Controlling your diet and sleeping enough but not more would be a good way to spend the off-season. One thing you can't do is come in after a long lay-off and workout again just like that. You'll be more prone to injuries if you do that. I think this is the problem with most athletes and particularly Carmelo. You need to prepare your body for that 82 games and you can't slack off during the summer.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Both stars with knee issues?! That's nice.

Not really

19. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Let's see if SAS gets on Melo if he were to only be 85 percent ready for the playoffs.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You know working out makes cartilage problems worse, right?